collision of latin and non-latin text

Markian Hlynka
Hi, I'm going to repeat part of what I posted to lilypond-user
because I described it better there:

I'm inputting cyrillic text. I've noticed that if cyrillic and latin
text coincide in the same block, they collide in a mess. Is this a
known problem? Basically if I write:

\header{
}

where the bits in <> are some of each type of text (with spaces
around them even!), the result on the score will be <cyri########ic>
where ## indicates overlapped text. I've tried this in other places
as well, always with the same result (eg composer and arranger tags).
The exception is that this problem does NOT seem to occur within
\lyricmode, though I haven't tested it thoroughly. \lyricmode { one
-- two -- три -- four } seems to work OK.

I've attached an example, but I don't know if the list will accept
it, though it's small.

Any workarounds, or confirmation of a known bug, or anything?

Thanks!

Markian
----
When arguing with an idiot, be sure they aren't doing the same.

testlilly.pdf (30K) Download Attachment

Re: collision of latin and non-latin text

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Markian Hlynka wrote:

> Hi, I'm going to repeat part of what I posted to lilypond-user  because
> I described it better there:
>
> I'm inputting cyrillic text. I've noticed that if cyrillic and latin
> text coincide in the same block, they collide in a mess. Is this a
> known problem? Basically if I write:
>

> \header{
> }
>
> where the bits in <> are some of each type of text (with spaces  around
> them even!), the result on the score will be <cyri########ic>  where ##
> indicates overlapped text. I've tried this in other places  as well,
> always with the same result (eg composer and arranger tags).  The
> exception is that this problem does NOT seem to occur within
> \lyricmode, though I haven't tested it thoroughly. \lyricmode { one  --
> two -- три -- four } seems to work OK.
>

> I've attached an example, but I don't know if the list will accept  it,
> though it's small.
>

> Any workarounds, or confirmation of a known bug, or anything?

known bug, fixed in 2.7.something; workaround:

   \markup { cyrillic latin cyrillic }

Re: collision of latin and non-latin text

Erik Sandberg
On Saturday 05 November 2005 00.27, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Markian Hlynka wrote:
> > Hi, I'm going to repeat part of what I posted to lilypond-user  because
> > I described it better there:
> >
> > I'm inputting cyrillic text. I've noticed that if cyrillic and latin
> > text coincide in the same block, they collide in a mess. Is this a
> > known problem? Basically if I write:
> >

> > \header{
> > }
> >
> > where the bits in <> are some of each type of text (with spaces  around
> > them even!), the result on the score will be <cyri########ic>  where ##
> > indicates overlapped text. I've tried this in other places  as well,
> > always with the same result (eg composer and arranger tags).  The
> > exception is that this problem does NOT seem to occur within
> > \lyricmode, though I haven't tested it thoroughly. \lyricmode { one  --
> > two -- три -- four } seems to work OK.
> >

> > I've attached an example, but I don't know if the list will accept  it,
> > though it's small.
> >

> > Any workarounds, or confirmation of a known bug, or anything?
>
> known bug, fixed in 2.7.something; workaround:

It's not yet completely fixed: Some spaces are removed sometimes. See
utf8-string-space.ly.

--
Erik