clef change in first bar with cue notes

Maarten Storm
Hi,

was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I'm working at an
arrangment of the Cesar Franck sonata and want to have the first 4
measures of piano introduction quoted in the solo part. In the score I
have there is first a bass clef and then a smaller treble clef for the
qoute of the piano part (same size as the font used for the quote). The
stems are all up. I also watched at a view other scores and it seems to
be normal to put first the clef of the solo instrument and after that
the clef of the quoted piano part. Unfortunately I can't manage to do
this with lilypond. I used the partial-trick for clefchanges in the
first measure and that doens't seem to work. I attached my ly file so
that you can see what I tried. And the \stemUp doesn't seem to work
either within the cue context. Does somebody knows a way of solving this?

Thanks for helping,

Maarten Storm

my ly file:

\version "2.7.18"

globals = {
  \clef bass
  %\clef treble
  \key a \major
  \time 9/8
}

smaller = {
  \set fontSize = #-2
  \override Stem #'length-fraction = #0.8
  \override Beam #'thickness = #0.384
  \override Beam #'length-fraction = #0.8
}

\addquote piano \relative c'' {
 \partial 8
 s8 \clef treble \bar ""
 r4 b8 d2. | r4 fis,8 b2. | r4 b8 fis'2. | r4 fis,8 d'2. |
}
untransposed = \relative c' {
  r4 d8 fis4 d8 b4 a8

  \new Staff \relative <<
     \globals
     \context Voice = cue { \smaller }

     \set Score.skipBars = ##f

     %\globals

     \new Voice  {
        \stemUp
        \cueDuring #"piano" #1 { \partial 8 s8 \bar ""
           R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3
        }
        \clef tenor \untransposed

  \layout { }

Re: clef change in first bar with cue notes

Han-Wen Nienhuys

Maarten Storm wrote:

> was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I'm working at an
> arrangment of the Cesar Franck sonata and want to have the first 4
> measures of piano introduction quoted in the solo part. In the score I
> have there is first a bass clef and then a smaller treble clef for the
> qoute of the piano part (same size as the font used for the quote). The
> stems are all up. I also watched at a view other scores and it seems to
> be normal to put first the clef of the solo instrument and after that
> the clef of the quoted piano part. Unfortunately I can't manage to do
> this with lilypond. I used the partial-trick for clefchanges in the
> first measure and that doens't seem to work. I attached my ly file so
> that you can see what I tried. And the \stemUp doesn't seem to work
> either within the cue context. Does somebody knows a way of solving this?
>
> Thanks for helping,

Try this:

   \new Staff \relative <<
     \globals
     \context Voice = cue { \smaller \stemUp }
     \set Score.skipBars = ##f
     \new Voice  {
       \stemUp
       \cueDuring #"piano" #1
       {
        \partial 8 s8
        \clef treble
        \bar ""
        R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3
       }
       \clef tenor \untransposed

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Maarten Storm wrote:
>
>> was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I'm working at
>> an arrangment of the Cesar Franck sonata and want to have the first 4
>> measures of piano introduction quoted in the solo part. In the score
>> I have there is first a bass clef and then a smaller treble clef for
>> the qoute of the piano part (same size as the font used for the
>> quote). The stems are all up. I also watched at a view other scores
>> and it seems to be normal to put first the clef of the solo
>> instrument and after that the clef of the quoted piano part.
>> Unfortunately I can't manage to do this with lilypond. I used the
>> partial-trick for clefchanges in the first measure and that doens't
>> seem to work. I attached my ly file so that you can see what I tried.
>> And the \stemUp doesn't seem to work either within the cue context.
>> Does somebody knows a way of solving this?
>>
>> Thanks for helping,
>

> Try this:
>

>   \new Staff \relative <<
>     \globals
>     \context Voice = cue { \smaller \stemUp }
>     \set Score.skipBars = ##f
>     \new Voice  {
>       \stemUp
>       \cueDuring #"piano" #1
>       {
>     \partial 8 s8
>     \clef treble
>     \bar ""
>     R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3
>       }
>       \clef tenor \untransposed
>     }

Thanks! The clef problem is solved.
How can I change the stemdirection when I do another queDuring from the
same quote?

Maarten

Maarten Storm wrote:

>>   \new Staff \relative <<
>>     \globals
>>     \context Voice = cue { \smaller \stemUp }
>>     \set Score.skipBars = ##f
>>     \new Voice  {
>>       \stemUp
>>       \cueDuring #"piano" #1
>>       {
>>     \partial 8 s8
>>     \clef treble
>>     \bar ""
>>     R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3
>>       }
>>       \clef tenor \untransposed
>>     }
>>

> Thanks! The clef problem is solved.
> How can I change the stemdirection when I do another queDuring from the
> same quote?

I guess something like

  << \cueDuring ...stuff..
     \context Voice=cue { \stemUp }

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Maarten Storm wrote:
>
>>>   \new Staff \relative <<
>>>     \globals
>>>     \context Voice = cue { \smaller \stemUp }
>>>     \set Score.skipBars = ##f
>>>     \new Voice  {
>>>       \stemUp
>>>       \cueDuring #"piano" #1
>>>       {
>>>     \partial 8 s8
>>>     \clef treble
>>>     \bar ""
>>>     R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3 | R4.*3
>>>       }
>>>       \clef tenor \untransposed
>>>     }
>>>

>> Thanks! The clef problem is solved.
>> How can I change the stemdirection when I do another queDuring from
>> the same quote?
>

> I guess something like
>

>  << \cueDuring ...stuff..
>     \context Voice=cue { \stemUp }
>  >>

Ok. But it's not possible to change stem direction within an addquote{}
block? Or is there an event I should add in

\set Staff.quotedEventTypes =
       #'(note-event rest-event text-script-event slur-event tie-event)

to do this?

Maarten.

Maarten Storm wrote:

>>> Thanks! The clef problem is solved.
>>> How can I change the stemdirection when I do another queDuring from
>>> the same quote?
>>
>> I guess something like
>>

>>  << \cueDuring ...stuff..
>>     \context Voice=cue { \stemUp }
>>  >>
>>

> Ok. But it's not possible to change stem direction within an addquote{}
> block?

No, you'll have to do soemthing like

   \context Voice = cue { \stemUp s4 \stemDown ... }

> Or is there an event I should add in
>
> \set Staff.quotedEventTypes =
>       #'(note-event rest-event text-script-event slur-event tie-event)
>
> to do this?

No. Stem direction changes are property settings. They are not events,
and can't be caught like this.