classical notation for barre guitar chords

classical notation for barre guitar chords

Kai Gorlich
Hi all,

I would like to write classical guitar music and am looking for a way to
include a vertical line spanning either the complete staff or parts of it, to
be placed in front of a chord or the first note of it, indicating a barre chord
in the left hand.

Is there any way?

Cheers
Kai

Guitar notation

Jannik Jeppesen
Hi.
Is there anyone who can send me an example on a  a blues scale with tab
starting on 5. fret? (or somthing similar)

I really cant figure out how to tell lilypond exactly where to specify the
tab...

Please.

Jannik

RE: Guitar notation

Vaylor Trucks
Here is the template I use for a combination chords / standard / tab staff -
with the A minor pentatonic scale starting on the 5th fret.

\version "2.6.0"

\header
{
        title = "A minor pentatonic scale"
        composer = "none"
        meter = "you choose"
}

% ----- GUITAR -----

gtr = \relative c
{
        \key a \minor
        \time 4/4

        % NOTES ARE ENTERED NORMALLY
        % WITH STRING NUMBER AFTER A BACKSLASH "\"
        a8\6 c\6 d\5 e\5 g\4 a\4 c\3 d\3 e\2 g\2 a\1 c\1

        \bar "|."
}

guitar = {
        \set Staff.instrument = #"Guitar"
        \set Staff.midiIntrument = "electric guitar (jazz)"
        \clef treble
        \context Staff << \gtr >>
}

guitartab = {
        \context TabStaff << \gtr >>
}

% ----- CHORDS -----

chordline = \chordmode
{
        a1:m
}

% ----- SCORE -----

\score
                \context ChordNames = chords \chordline
                \context Staff = guitar \guitar
                \context TabStaff = guitar \guitartab

        \layout { }
        \midi { \tempo 4=120 }
}

>From: "Jannik Jeppesen" <[hidden email]>
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Guitar notation
>Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:15:15 +0100
>
>Hi.
>Is there anyone who can send me an example on a  a blues scale with tab
>starting on 5. fret? (or somthing similar)
>
>I really cant figure out how to tell lilypond exactly where to specify the
>tab...
>
>Please.
>
>Jannik

Re: Guitar notation

Vincent-35
see the manual, section 7.5.

here another working example:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.7.10"

pentatonic = \relative c
{

   a\6 c\6 d\5 e\5 g\4 a\4 c\3 d\3 e\2 g\2 a c

   % alternatively this also works:
   % \set TabStaff.minimumFret = #5
   % a c d e g a c d e g a c

   \bar "|."
}

\score
{
   \new StaffGroup
   <<
     \context Staff
     {
       \clef "G_8"
       \pentatonic
     }
     \context TabStaff
     {
       \override Beam #'transparent = ##t % I prefer it
       \override Stem #'transparent = ##t % I prefer it
       \pentatonic

%%%%%%%%%%%%%% EOF

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:15:15 +0100, Jannik Jeppesen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi.
> Is there anyone who can send me an example on a  a blues scale with tab
> starting on 5. fret? (or somthing similar)
>
> I really cant figure out how to tell lilypond exactly where to specify
> the tab...
>
> Please.
>
> Jannik

RE: Guitar notation

Vaylor Trucks
of course, strictly speaking, you need to add a \transpose command to the
standard notation staff - like this:

guitar = {
        \set Staff.instrument = #"Guitar"
        \set Staff.midiIntrument = "electric guitar (jazz)"
        \clef treble
        \transpose c c'
        \context Staff << \gtr >>
}

...plus you need to change the clef to a treble cleff with an "8" beneath
the loop - but I haven't found that clef yet.

>From: "Jannik Jeppesen" <[hidden email]>
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Guitar notation
>Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:15:15 +0100
>
>Hi.
>Is there anyone who can send me an example on a  a blues scale with tab
>starting on 5. fret? (or somthing similar)
>
>I really cant figure out how to tell lilypond exactly where to specify the
>tab...
>
>Please.
>
>Jannik

Re: Guitar notation

Jannik Jeppesen
Hey.

Thanx alot for your answer, that helped me alot... thats exactly what I
needed.

Another guitar question...

% C major chord
           c'1^\markup
         \override #'(finger-code . below-string) {
           \fret-diagram-verbose #'((mute 6) (place-fret 5 3 3) (place-fret
4 2 2)
                                    (place-fret 3 0) (place-fret 2 1 1)
(place-fret 1 0))
I want the dot in  the tab, when playing an open string to be a black cirkel
with a hole inside... like a "o" instead of a complete black dot.
That meens string 1 and 3... how is that possible.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Jannik Jeppesen

> Here is the template I use for a combination chords / standard / tab
> staff - with the A minor pentatonic scale starting on the 5th fret.
>
> \version "2.6.0"
>
> \header
> {
> title = "A minor pentatonic scale"
> composer = "none"
> meter = "you choose"
> }
>
> % ----- GUITAR -----
>
> gtr = \relative c
> {
> \key a \minor
> \time 4/4
>
>        % NOTES ARE ENTERED NORMALLY
>        % WITH STRING NUMBER AFTER A BACKSLASH "\"
> a8\6 c\6 d\5 e\5 g\4 a\4 c\3 d\3 e\2 g\2 a\1 c\1
>
> \bar "|."
> }
>
> guitar = {
> \set Staff.instrument = #"Guitar"
> \set Staff.midiIntrument = "electric guitar (jazz)"
> \clef treble
> \context Staff << \gtr >>
> }
>
> guitartab = {
> \context TabStaff << \gtr >>
> }
>
> % ----- CHORDS -----
>
> chordline = \chordmode
> {
> a1:m
> }
>
> % ----- SCORE -----
>
> \score
> {
> <<
> \context ChordNames = chords \chordline
> \context Staff = guitar \guitar
> \context TabStaff = guitar \guitartab
> >>
> \layout { }
> \midi { \tempo 4=120 }
> }
>

>>From: "Jannik Jeppesen" <[hidden email]>
>>To: <[hidden email]>
>>Subject: Guitar notation
>>Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:15:15 +0100
>>
>>Hi.
>>Is there anyone who can send me an example on a  a blues scale with tab
>>starting on 5. fret? (or somthing similar)
>>
>>I really cant figure out how to tell lilypond exactly where to specify the
>>tab...
>>
>>Please.
>>
>>Jannik

Re: Guitar notation

> ...plus you need to change the clef to a treble cleff with an "8"
> beneath the loop - but I haven't found that clef yet.

I can't understand why several people ask this question. It's included
as an
example in the section entitled "Clef", can you propose any way to make
it even easier to find?

Re: Guitar notation

Thomas Scharkowski

> > ...plus you need to change the clef to a treble cleff with an "8"
> > beneath the loop - but I haven't found that clef yet.
>
> I can't understand why several people ask this question.

Because they are guitarists?
:-)
SCNR

Thomas (guitarist)

Re: Guitar notation

Vaylor Trucks
Well look at that, there it is right at the top of page 85 in the PDF.  My
apologies Mats - I'll change my template.

\clef "G_8"

>From: Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]>
>To: Vaylor Trucks <[hidden email]>
>CC: [hidden email],  [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: Guitar notation
>Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:41:46 +0100
>

>>...plus you need to change the clef to a treble cleff with an "8" beneath
>>the loop - but I haven't found that clef yet.
>
>I can't understand why several people ask this question. It's included as
>an
>example in the section entitled "Clef", can you propose any way to make
>it even easier to find?
>
>  /Mats

Re: Guitar notation

Thomas Scharkowski wrote:

>>>...plus you need to change the clef to a treble cleff with an "8"
>>>beneath the loop - but I haven't found that clef yet.
>>>

>>I can't understand why several people ask this question.
>>

>Because they are guitarists?
>:-)
>SCNR

The queston was rather why they found it so hard to find the
information in the manual. ;-)

Re: Guitar notation

Vaylor Trucks
You know the old joke:

How do you make a guitarist play quieter and slower?  Give him sheet music.

>From: "Thomas Scharkowski" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: Guitar notation
>Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:02:59 +0100
>

> > > ...plus you need to change the clef to a treble cleff with an "8"
> > > beneath the loop - but I haven't found that clef yet.
> >
> > I can't understand why several people ask this question.
>
>Because they are guitarists?
>:-)
>SCNR
>
>Thomas (guitarist)

Re: Guitar notation

Vaylor Trucks
I cannot speak for others, but for myself I can say the resason is - I
didn't check all that thoroughly before asking the question.  Mia Culpa