circling marks

Paul Scott-3
In 2.7.29 I can easily do:

\mark \markup{ \circle "65" }

but I would like to use something like:

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-circle-numbers

The attached file shows my current attempt.  I want:

\mark "65"

to work not just \mark \default

Can someone give me some hints to finish this?

TIA,

Paul Scott

Re: circling marks

Erlend Aasland
Hi

You can use this patch (touching scm/translation-functions.scm) in order to get format-mark-circle functions.

Perhaps this patch should be applied in order to make it easier to use this kind of rehearsal marks?

Regards,
  Erlend Aasland

On 1/29/06, Paul Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
In 2.7.29 I can easily do:

\mark \markup{ \circle "65" }

but I would like to use something like:

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-circle-numbers

The attached file shows my current attempt.  I want:

\mark "65"

to work not just \mark \default

Can someone give me some hints to finish this?

TIA,

Paul Scott

markcircle.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: circling marks

Graham Percival-2

On 6-Feb-06, at 1:04 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:
> You can use this patch (touching scm/translation-functions.scm) in
> order to get format-mark-circle functions.
>
> Perhaps this patch should be applied in order to make it easier to use
> this kind of rehearsal marks?

I personally prefer boxed marks instead of circled ones, but I've seen
circled ones quite a bit.  Han-Wen, can we commit this?

Re: circling marks

Paul Scott-3
Graham Percival wrote:

> On 6-Feb-06, at 1:04 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:
>
>> You can use this patch (touching scm/translation-functions.scm) in
>> order to get format-mark-circle functions.
>>
>> Perhaps this patch should be applied in order to make it easier to
>> use this kind of rehearsal marks?
>

> I personally prefer boxed marks instead of circled ones,

I do too but when I fix a part for a work that has already used circles
I like to do the same.

> but I've seen circled ones quite a bit.  Han-Wen, can we commit this?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: circling marks

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Graham Percival wrote:

> On 6-Feb-06, at 1:04 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:
>
>> You can use this patch (touching scm/translation-functions.scm) in
>> order to get format-mark-circle functions.
>>
>> Perhaps this patch should be applied in order to make it easier to use
>> this kind of rehearsal marks?
>

> I personally prefer boxed marks instead of circled ones, but I've seen
> circled ones quite a bit.  Han-Wen, can we commit this?

yes.

Re: circling marks

Paul Scott-3
Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>

>> On 6-Feb-06, at 1:04 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:
>>
>>> You can use this patch (touching scm/translation-functions.scm) in
>>> order to get format-mark-circle functions.
>>>
>>> Perhaps this patch should be applied in order to make it easier to
>>> use this kind of rehearsal marks?
>>

>> I personally prefer boxed marks instead of circled ones, but I've
>> seen circled ones quite a bit.  Han-Wen, can we commit this?
>

> yes.

Can I use this to build something that works on \mark "37" just as is
does on \mark \default ?  IOW can I create a function so I can cause all
\mark "<number>" to be boxed or circled just by doing one \set or
\override at the beginning of a block as can be done for \default ?

What about another \default that causes the current bar number to be
used as the \mark?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: circling marks

Erlend Aasland
Hi

On 2/16/06, Paul Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can I use this to build something that works on \mark "37" just as is
does on \mark \default ?

You want this: \mark #37
It's already there.

What about another \default that causes the current bar number to be
used as the \mark?

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-barnumbers

For boxed or circled numbers:

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-barnumbers
\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-circle-barnumbers

Thanks,

Paul

No problem

Regards,
  Erlend Aasland

Erlend Aasland wrote:

> ... and by the way, this is documented on page 190 and 191 in the fine
> manual.

I have not seen page numbers in the manual.  Can you tell me where to
see them?

In section 8.2.3 Rehearsal Marks I don't see enough explanation to learn
what you have just shown me.

Paul

Re: circling marks

Graham Percival-2

On 16-Feb-06, at 2:44 AM, Paul Scott wrote:

> Erlend Aasland wrote:
>
>> ... and by the way, this is documented on page 190 and 191 in the
>> fine manual.
>
> I have not seen page numbers in the manual.  Can you tell me where to
> see them?

They exist in the pdf version.  This is why I recommend referring to
section numbers -- "section 8.2.3 Rehearsal Marks in the 2.7 docs"
clearly refers to the same thing, whereas page numbers can be wildly
inaccurate between different versions of the manual.

> In section 8.2.3 Rehearsal Marks I don't see enough explanation to
> learn what you have just shown me.

You're reading the 2.7 docs, right?  It's right there.

Re: circling marks

Erlend Aasland
Erlend Aasland wrote:
I have not seen page numbers in the manual.  Can you tell me where to
see them?

Yes, the right upper corner of each page (I assume you've downloaded the manual as pdf).

In section 8.2.3 Rehearsal Marks I don't see enough explanation to learn
what you have just shown me.

\mark #<number> creates a rehearsal mark (formatted using the markFormatter function).

Example: \mark #5
...will create a rehearsal mark with the number "5" if the markFormatter is set to mark-format-numbers, mark-format-box-numbers or mark-format-circle-numbers. If markFormatter is set to i.e. mark-format-alphabet, is will produce a rehearsal mark with the letter "E". If set to mark-format-barnumbers the current bar number is printed, (thus ignoring the #<number> argument.)

(I thought the mark-format-barnumbers function was documented, but I was wrong.) You can use mark-format-barnumbers, mark-format-box-barnumbers and mark-format-circle-barnumbers to get bar numbers as rehearsal marks.

Erlend

Paul

Re: circling marks

Erlend Aasland
On 2/16/06, Erlend Aasland <[hidden email]> wrote:

Example: \mark #5
...will create a rehearsal mark with the number "5" if the markFormatter is set to mark-format-numbers, mark-format-box-numbers or mark-format-circle-numbers. If markFormatter is set to i.e. mark-format-alphabet, is will produce a rehearsal mark with the letter "E". If set to mark-format-barnumbers the current bar number is printed, (thus ignoring the #<number> argument.)

Hmmm, those should be format-mark-*, not mark-format-*

Erlend

Re: circling marks

Paul Scott-3
Graham Percival wrote:

> On 16-Feb-06, at 2:44 AM, Paul Scott wrote:
>
>> Erlend Aasland wrote:
>>
>>> ... and by the way, this is documented on page 190 and 191 in the
>>> fine manual.
>>

>> I have not seen page numbers in the manual.  Can you tell me where to
>> see them?
>

> They exist in the pdf version.  This is why I recommend referring to
> section numbers -- "section 8.2.3 Rehearsal Marks in the 2.7 docs"
> clearly refers to the same thing, whereas page numbers can be wildly
> inaccurate between different versions of the manual.

Thanks.

>> In section 8.2.3 Rehearsal Marks I don't see enough explanation to
>> learn what you have just shown me.
>

> You're reading the 2.7 docs, right?  It's right there.

I am referring to documentation about format-mark-barnumbers and
format-mark-X-barnumbers.  I do not find any reference to these in the
2.7 docs on the LilyPond web site.  My 'make web' is a few days behind.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: circling marks

Paul Scott-3
Erlend Aasland wrote:

> On 2/16/06, *Paul Scott* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Erlend Aasland wrote:
>     I have not seen page numbers in the manual.  Can you tell me where to
>     see them?
>

> Yes, the right upper corner of each page (I assume you've downloaded
> the manual as pdf).
>
>     In section 8.2.3 Rehearsal Marks I don't see enough explanation to
>     learn
>     what you have just shown me.
>

> \mark #<number> creates a rehearsal mark (formatted using the
> markFormatter function).
>
> Example: \mark #5
> ...will create a rehearsal mark with the number "5" if the
> markFormatter is set to mark-format-numbers, mark-format-box-numbers
> or mark-format-circle-numbers. If markFormatter is set to i.e.
> mark-format-alphabet, is will produce a rehearsal mark with the letter
> "E".

That part's clear from the manual.

> If set to mark-format-barnumbers the current bar number is printed,
> (thus ignoring the #<number> argument.)
>
> (I thought the mark-format-barnumbers function was documented, but I
> was wrong.) You can use mark-format-barnumbers,
> mark-format-box-barnumbers and mark-format-circle-barnumbers to get
> bar numbers as rehearsal marks.

Thanks!  I am using it and it works great!

Paul

Re: circling marks

Graham Percival-2

On 16-Feb-06, at 2:09 PM, Erlend Aasland wrote:

> On 2/16/06, Erlend Aasland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Example: \mark #5
>> ...will create a rehearsal mark with the number "5" if the
>> markFormatter is set to mark-format-numbers, mark-format-box-numbers
>> or mark-format-circle-numbers. If markFormatter is set to i.e.
>> mark-format-alphabet, is will produce a rehearsal mark with the
>> letter "E". If set to mark-format-barnumbers the current bar number
>> is printed, (thus ignoring the #<number> argument.)
> Hmmm, those should be format-mark-*, not mark-format-*

Ok, I've added this to CVS.  When 2.7.36 comes out, could one of you
check section 8.2.3 to make sure I've written the right thing?