@cindex and friends in snippet files

Werner LEMBERG

Folks,

some stuff like `subdivideBeams' is only documented in files from
`Documentation/snippets'.  However, not a single file in this
directory contains an index entry.

What is the proper way to add index entries to those files?  Are they
still synchronized with LSI?  I would like to add a bunch of them, for
obvious reasons.

    Werner

dak

Re: @cindex and friends in snippet files

dak
Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> writes:

> Folks,
>

> some stuff like `subdivideBeams' is only documented in files from
> `Documentation/snippets'.  However, not a single file in this
> directory contains an index entry.
>
> What is the proper way to add index entries to those files?  Are they
> still synchronized with LSI?  I would like to add a bunch of them, for
> obvious reasons.

I think that they are usually referenced from the main manual, and
that's where the index entries then are placed.  Of course, mentioning
"related material" that is not actually related to the main entry is not
overly sensible so this usually does require penning a few lines in the
main manual if you don't want to appear obtuse.

Re: @cindex and friends in snippet files

Werner LEMBERG

>> What is the proper way to add index entries to those files?  Are
>> they still synchronized with LSI?  I would like to add a bunch of
>> them, for obvious reasons.
>
> I think that they are usually referenced from the main manual, and
> that's where the index entries then are placed.  Of course,
> mentioning "related material" that is not actually related to the
> main entry is not overly sensible so this usually does require
> penning a few lines in the main manual if you don't want to appear
> obtuse.

OK, thanks, will try.

    Werner

dak

Re: @cindex and friends in snippet files

dak
Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> What is the proper way to add index entries to those files?  Are
>>> they still synchronized with LSI?  I would like to add a bunch of
>>> them, for obvious reasons.
>>
>> I think that they are usually referenced from the main manual, and
>> that's where the index entries then are placed.  Of course,
>> mentioning "related material" that is not actually related to the
>> main entry is not overly sensible so this usually does require
>> penning a few lines in the main manual if you don't want to appear
>> obtuse.
>
> OK, thanks, will try.

A separate index for the snippets would likely be nice (we have
categories, though) but I have no idea how we could sensibly manage that
without messing up the main manual indexing and also the LSR
coordination.

Re: @cindex and friends in snippet files

Werner LEMBERG

> A separate index for the snippets would likely be nice (we have
> categories, though) but I have no idea how we could sensibly manage
> that without messing up the main manual indexing and also the LSR
> coordination.

It's not clear to me what you exactly mean with a `separate index for
snippets'.  Where should this index be?  In the notation reference, in
the snippets document?  And what do you envision of its contents?

    Werner

dak

Re: @cindex and friends in snippet files

dak
Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> writes:

>> A separate index for the snippets would likely be nice (we have
>> categories, though) but I have no idea how we could sensibly manage
>> that without messing up the main manual indexing and also the LSR
>> coordination.
>
> It's not clear to me what you exactly mean with a `separate index for
> snippets'.  Where should this index be?  In the notation reference, in
> the snippets document?  And what do you envision of its contents?

Uh, it was second-guessing what you were trying to achieve here.  If you
were only talking about indexing snippets into NR and/or LM, then it
does not apply.