chord duration

Gianmaria Lari
The following code...

\version "2.19.82"
\new ChordNames \chordmode { c8~c2 }

displays C C. How can I make it display a single C chord that last 8~2?

Thank you, g.

Re: chord duration

Aaron Hill
On 2018-10-31 1:00 am, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> The following code...
>
> \version "2.19.82"
> \new ChordNames \chordmode { c8~c2 }
>

> displays C C. How can I make it display a single C chord that last 8~2?

Would either "c8 s2" or "c8*5" work for you?  (I think the second one
would be needed for MIDI output to work correctly.)

-- Aaron Hill

Re: chord duration

Malte Meyn-3

Am 31.10.18 um 09:00 schrieb Gianmaria Lari:
> The following code...
>
>     \version "2.19.82"
>     \new ChordNames \chordmode { c8~c2 }
>

> displays C C. How can I make it display a single C chord that last 8~2?

There are several possibilities:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\new ChordNames \with {
   chordChanges = ##t % don’t repeat unchanged chord
} \chordmode { c8 c2 }

\new ChordNames \chordmode { c8 s2 } % set a spacer rest instead of c2

\new ChordNames \chordmode { c8*5 } % chord with duration 8*5 = 8~2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Re: chord duration

Lukas-Fabian Moser
Am 31.10.18 um 09:00 schrieb Gianmaria Lari:
The following code...

\version "2.19.82"
\new ChordNames \chordmode { c8~c2 }

displays C C. How can I make it display a single C chord that last 8~2?

Durations may be modified using factors: since 2 is 4x 8 (hehe), you can write \chordmode { c8*5 }.

(Alternatively, replace the second chord by a skip: s2)

Lukas

Re: chord duration

Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> writes:

> The following code...
>
> \version "2.19.82"
> \new ChordNames \chordmode { c8~c2 }
>

> displays C C. How can I make it display a single C chord that last 8~2?

You got a number of workarounds in different answers.  There may also be
some point in treating this as a bug.

Re: chord duration

Gianmaria Lari

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 09:21, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> writes:

> The following code...
>
> \version "2.19.82"
> \new ChordNames \chordmode { c8~c2 }
>

> displays C C. How can I make it display a single C chord that last 8~2?

You got a number of workarounds in different answers.  There may also be
some point in treating this as a bug.

:)

The three solution  Schmaus, Meyn, Moser, Hill (and Barker) proposed work well (thank you all of you!). But I was wondering why it should not work my obvious solution :)

Thank you David!
Best regards, g.

Re: chord duration

Torsten Hämmerle
Gianmaria Lari wrote
> But I was wondering why it should not work my
> obvious solution :)

Ciao Gianmanria,

Probably because your obvious solution isn't that obvious from a technical
point of view.
In this simple example, it is totally clear that we only want to see
changes.
But just imagine the beginning of a new section (rehearsal mark, repeat
volta bracket, Coda, etc.) where we definitely *want* to clearly re-instate
the Chord name for several reasons.

I think it is necessary to deliberately set chordChanges to ##t or ##f in
many cases.

Besides, I'll opt for ##t as the default setting.

All the best,
Torsten

Re: chord duration

Gianmaria Lari

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 15:45, Torsten Hämmerle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari wrote
> But I was wondering why it should not work my
> obvious solution :)

Ciao Gianmanria,

Probably because your obvious solution isn't that obvious from a technical
point of view.
In this simple example, it is totally clear that we only want to see
changes.
But just imagine the beginning of a new section (rehearsal mark, repeat
volta bracket, Coda, etc.) where we definitely *want* to clearly re-instate
the Chord name for several reasons.

I think it is necessary to deliberately set chordChanges to ##t or ##f in
many cases.

Besides, I'll opt for ##t as the default setting.

Ciao Torsten,

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why I would like to display twice a chord if I write c4~4 ? Maybe could you write a simple example (if possible!).

Thank you Torsten!
g.

Re: chord duration

Torsten Hämmerle
Gianmaria Lari wrote
> Ciao Torsten,
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why I would like to display twice a chord
> if
> I write c4~4 ? Maybe could you write a simple example (if possible!).

Ah, yes, right, Gianmaria!

I only was thinking of chord changes in general, but now I see that it's
primarily about the tie.
And, I agree, there is no reason why one would want to display a tied-over
chord name.
Except, perhaps after line breaks (cf. accidentals).

All the best,
Torsten