change music font not documented?

Federico Bruni-2
Hi all

I think that set-global-fonts is not properly documented, especially
for music font changes.

$ cd Documentation
$ git grep -n set-global-fonts notation/
notation/ancient.itely:2414:    (set-global-fonts
notation/ancient.itely:2594:    (set-global-fonts
notation/input.itely:2526:    (set-global-fonts

Best resource is the blog:
http://lilypondblog.org/2015/03/managing-alternative-fonts-with-lilypond/

Should I open an issue for this?

Re: change music font not documented?

tisimst
Federico,

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Federico Bruni-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that set-global-fonts is not properly documented, especially
for music font changes.

Outside of the inline comments found in scm/font.scm, this is true. Actually, I didn't know it was even used in the docs at all. The changes page only hints at why this function exists with this statement:

"Support for making it easier to use alternative ‘music’ fonts other than the default Emmentaler in LilyPond has been added. See http://fonts.openlilylib.org/ for more information."

...which needs to be updated anyway. My fault, really. Much thanks to Urs for including this statement.

$ cd Documentation
$ git grep -n set-global-fonts notation/
notation/ancient.itely:2414:    (set-global-fonts
notation/ancient.itely:2594:    (set-global-fonts
notation/input.itely:2526:    (set-global-fonts

Best resource is the blog:
http://lilypondblog.org/2015/03/managing-alternative-fonts-with-lilypond/

Should I open an issue for this?

I think that's a good idea, perhaps the right time to update the entry for replacing the notation font? http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/replacing-the-notation-font

Thinking ahead towards the potential of making LP SMuFL-compliant, I also wonder if this might be a good time to create a couple of other public scheme functions that make it easier to use music fonts that don't have more than one design size. I've tested successfully such functions on my own machine and think they would be a useful addition as we try to attract more potential power users in the industry.

Best,
Abraham

Re: change music font not documented?

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno mer 10 mag 2017 alle 23:26, tisimst
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> I think that's a good idea, perhaps the right time to update the
> entry for replacing the notation font?
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/replacing-the-notation-font

I think that it's the right place. I've added an issue to the tracker: