bypass \set associatedVoice altogether?

Trevor Bača-2
Why does the second set of lyrics with \set associatedVoice align incorrectly?

And, in general, should I bypass \set associatedVoice altogether and
insert fake spaces, as in the third set of lyrics (which do work
correctly)?

%%%%%%%%%% BEGIN LYRICS ALIGNMENT SNIPPET %%%%%

\version "2.7.7"

theVoice = {
   \time 2/4
   \set Staff.autoBeaming = ##f
   d''8
         \voiceOne
         d''16
         d''16
         \oneVoice
      }
      \context Voice = "alternative" {
         \voiceTwo
         d''8
         \oneVoice
      }

   d''8
   d''8
}

theFirstLyrics = \lyricmode {
   \set stanza = "GOOD: "
   Five words in this voice.
}
theSecondLyrics = \lyricmode {
   \set stanza = "BAD :"
   \set associatedVoice = "alternative"
   On --
   % reverts to mainVoice 1/16th too early:
   \set associatedVoice = "mainVoice"
   ly
   four
   here.
}

theThirdLyrics = \lyricmode {
   \set stanza = "GOOD: "
   On --
   ly
   " "
   four
   here.

   \new Staff <<
      \context Voice = "mainVoice" \theVoice
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mainVoice" \theFirstLyrics
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mainVoice" \theSecondLyrics
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mainVoice" \theThirdLyrics

   \layout {
      raggedright = ##t

%%%%%%%%%%% END LYRICS ALIGNMENT SNIPPET %%%%%

Trevor Bača

lyrics-alignment.png (12K) Download Attachment

Re: bypass \set associatedVoice altogether?

Mats Bengtsson-6
Since nobody has come up with any answer and the output
looks very strange, I send the question on the bug-lilypond.

    /Mats

Trevor Baca wrote:

> Why does the second set of lyrics with \set associatedVoice align incorrectly?
>
> And, in general, should I bypass \set associatedVoice altogether and
> insert fake spaces, as in the third set of lyrics (which do work
> correctly)?
>
> %%%%%%%%%% BEGIN LYRICS ALIGNMENT SNIPPET %%%%%
>
> \version "2.7.7"
>
> theVoice = {
>    \time 2/4
>    \set Staff.autoBeaming = ##f
>    d''8
>    <<
>       {
>          \voiceOne
>          d''16
>          d''16
>          \oneVoice
>       }
>       \context Voice = "alternative" {
>          \voiceTwo
>          d''8
>          \oneVoice
>       }
>    >>
>    d''8
>    d''8
> }
>
> theFirstLyrics = \lyricmode {
>    \set stanza = "GOOD: "
>    Five words in this voice.
> }
> theSecondLyrics = \lyricmode {
>    \set stanza = "BAD :"
>    \set associatedVoice = "alternative"
>    On --
>    % reverts to mainVoice 1/16th too early:
>    \set associatedVoice = "mainVoice"
>    ly
>    four
>    here.
> }
>
> theThirdLyrics = \lyricmode {
>    \set stanza = "GOOD: "
>    On --
>    ly
>    " "
>    four
>    here.
> }
>
> \score {
>    \new Staff <<
>       \context Voice = "mainVoice" \theVoice
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mainVoice" \theFirstLyrics
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mainVoice" \theSecondLyrics
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mainVoice" \theThirdLyrics
>    >>
>    \layout {
>       raggedright = ##t
>    }
> }
>
> %%%%%%%%%%% END LYRICS ALIGNMENT SNIPPET %%%%%
>
> Trevor Bača

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

On 8/26/05, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since nobody has come up with any answer and the output
> looks very strange, I send the question on the bug-lilypond.
>
>     /Mats

Thanks, Mats; I wasn't sure, so I tried the user list first.

Han-Wen, I posed a variation of this associatedVoice alignment
question to you in a separate bug thread as a follow-up question on
skipping elements in setting lyrics; please ignore the doble-posting
as I wasn't sure that this question had actually made it through to
the list.

(I never get copies of my own posts to any of the 3 lists, despite my
settings on the gnu settings pages, so I'm never sure if my posts are
actually mailing to everyone else on the list or whether Mats or HW or
someone has to notice them in the archive first.)

;-)

Trevor.