bar counters

Werner LEMBERG

In orchestral parts it is quite common to have bar counters like this:

           1         2         3         4

       c r g r | c r g r | c r g r | c r g r |

          cresc.  -   -   -   -   -  f

Currently, lilypond provides automatic bar counting for repeats only.
It would be great if we can have this feature for normal music also,
something like this:

      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn
      c r g\< r |
      c r g r |
      c r g r |
      c\f r g r |
      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff

The current workaround, namely to use overlayed invisible percent
repeaters, is not very elegant...

Any chance that this gets implemented quickly?  Otherwise I'll add it
to the Google item list as a feature request.

   Werner

Re: bar counters

Anthony W. Youngman
In message <[hidden email]>, Werner LEMBERG
<[hidden email]> writes

>In orchestral parts it is quite common to have bar counters like this:

Very late response, I know :-)

>           1         2         3         4
>
>       c r g r | c r g r | c r g r | c r g r |
>
>          cresc.  -   -   -   -   -  f
>

>Currently, lilypond provides automatic bar counting for repeats only.
>It would be great if we can have this feature for normal music also,
>something like this:
>
>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn
>      c r g\< r |
>      c r g r |
>      c r g r |
>      c\f r g r |
>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff
>
>The current workaround, namely to use overlayed invisible percent
>repeaters, is not very elegant...
>
>Any chance that this gets implemented quickly?  Otherwise I'll add it
>to the Google item list as a feature request.

Please also add a feature to make the number visible/invisible. A lot of
the music I see starts counting on the first bar, but only starts
displaying the counter about, say, bar 4.

A typical occurrence for me is, say, 8 bars rest where the cue is
written out. It'll start counting about bar 5.

Alternatively, you could add an option whereby you tell \barCounterOn
what number to start counting at.

>   Werner

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - [hidden email]

Re: bar counters

Werner LEMBERG

> >      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn
> >      c r g\< r |
> >      c r g r |
> >      c r g r |
> >      c\f r g r |
> >      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff
>
> Please also add a feature to make the number visible/invisible. A
> lot of the music I see starts counting on the first bar, but only
> starts displaying the counter about, say, bar 4.

A simple extension to my suggested syntax would be this:

     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn #4
     c r g\< r |
     c r g r |
     c r g r |
     c\f r g r |
     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff

> Alternatively, you could add an option whereby you tell
> \barCounterOn what number to start counting at.

Yep.  This seems to be an easier solution since it moves the logic
from lilypond to the user.

    Werner

Re: bar counters

Mats Bengtsson-4
As you know, it's already possible to get bar numbers on every single
measure
(or every 5th or whatever) but they will be printed on top of the bar
lines.
The only new feature I can see in Werner's request is the possibility to
typeset bar numbers centered over each measure. The obvious syntax for
such an option would be a normal property setting, right?

   /Mats

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn
>>>      c r g\< r |
>>>      c r g r |
>>>      c r g r |
>>>      c\f r g r |
>>>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff
>>>
>> Please also add a feature to make the number visible/invisible. A
>> lot of the music I see starts counting on the first bar, but only
>> starts displaying the counter about, say, bar 4.
>>

> A simple extension to my suggested syntax would be this:
>
>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn #4
>      c r g\< r |
>      c r g r |
>      c r g r |
>      c\f r g r |
>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff
>

>> Alternatively, you could add an option whereby you tell
>> \barCounterOn what number to start counting at.
>>

> Yep.  This seems to be an easier solution since it moves the logic
> from lilypond to the user.
>

>     Werner

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: bar counters

Anthony W. Youngman
In message <[hidden email]>, Mats Bengtsson
<[hidden email]> writes
>As you know, it's already possible to get bar numbers on every single
>measure
>(or every 5th or whatever) but they will be printed on top of the bar
>lines.
>The only new feature I can see in Werner's request is the possibility to
>typeset bar numbers centered over each measure. The obvious syntax for
>such an option would be a normal property setting, right?

I don't mean to be rude, but are you understanding what we're
understanding? We're not discussing bar *numbers*, we're discussing bar
*counters* - something completely different.

I may be a hundred bars into a piece, with "\mark default" set to
display bar numbers (so I can't bugger about with that), but I want to
display '4, 5, 6, 7, 8' over a set of (identical) bars at that point
(with three more identical bars just before I start numbering ...).

PS. I said I haven't read the latest manual - I think a numbering
facility may have been added to "\repeat unfold" which would do exactly
what the OP wanted starting counting at 1 - I just want to be able to
tell it to start numbering half-way through the unfold, or eg half way
through a passage of "multi-bar rest plus cues".

>  /Mats

>>> Please also add a feature to make the number visible/invisible. A
>>> lot of the music I see starts counting on the first bar, but only
>>> starts displaying the counter about, say, bar 4.
>>>

>> A simple extension to my suggested syntax would be this:
>>
>>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn #4
>>      c r g\< r |
>>      c r g r |
>>      c r g r |
>>      c\f r g r |
>>      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff
>>

>>> Alternatively, you could add an option whereby you tell
>>> \barCounterOn what number to start counting at.
>>>

>> Yep.  This seems to be an easier solution since it moves the logic
>> from lilypond to the user.

Cheers,
Wol
--