aligning figures in figured bass horizontally

aligning figures in figured bass horizontally

Leszek Wroński
Hello Experts,

if there's a c2 in the bc voice and the figures are "<7>4 <6>", the '7' ends up higher than the '6':

(I'm using 2.20.)

Is there a method of telling Lilypond to align the figures horizontally in the space of, say, a measure?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Leszek.

Re: aligning figures in figured bass horizontally

Carl Sorensen

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 8:57 AM Leszek Wroński <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Experts,

if there's a c2 in the bc voice and the figures are "<7>4 <6>", the '7' ends up higher than the '6':

(I'm using 2.20.)

Is there a method of telling Lilypond to align the figures horizontally in the space of, say, a measure?

Use a BassFigures context, instead of putting the figures in a staff.  The notation reference shows the difference between the two methods.

Had you shown us a tiny example (https://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html) instead of just the graphical output, I could have rewritten the example to show the output you want.

Thanks,

Carl

Re: aligning figures in figured bass horizontally

Leszek Wroński
Thank you very much! I also want to 1) have the figures above the staff and 2) have the alterations to the right. I had been achieving this by using "\override Staff.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning #'direction = #UP" and "\set Staff.figuredBassAlterationDirection = #RIGHT"; I managed to get the second one using this code:

{
  \clef bass << { c2 }
                \new FiguredBass  { \figuremode {\set figuredBassAlterationDirection = #RIGHT
                                                 <7>2 <6-> }}

}

, however, I don't know how to have the figures above the staff now. I looked at the list of parameters I can set for the figured bass engraver, http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/figured_005fbass_005fengraver , and the position of alterations is there, but the position of the figures itself relative to the staff is not. I read a few pages regarding the engraving of figured bass, e.g. http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/figuredbass , http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/bassfigurealignmentpositioning , and http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/figured_005fbass_005fposition_005fengraver , but somehow I can't find the information. Could you give me some pointers as to how I should search the documentation for the information I'm looking for? I entered "BassFigureAlignmentPositioning" in the internals search index, thinking that my mistake was that it was a parameter I was trying to override in a Staff context, which now does nothing, while probably reference to some other context was needed, but I was unable to find the proper name. I eventually thought that using 'FiguredBass' instead of 'Staff' could work:

{
  \clef bass << { c2 }
                \new FiguredBass  { \figuremode {\set figuredBassAlterationDirection = #RIGHT
                                              \override FiguredBass.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning #'direction = #UP   <7>2 <6-> }}

}

but no, it does nothing. What is, then, the correct value of x for "\override x.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning #'direction = #UP" inside an explicitly instantiated FiguredBass?

Thank you very much again!

Best regards,

Leszek.