advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

Reggie
For those of you who engrave orchestral music in which the strings often have
your typical divisi a2 or a3

Suppose a performance is coming up and you need to print parts from the full
score.

So when you go to engrave the individual parts for any of the strings for
example, (say Violin I), would you:

a) always leave the Violin I "as is" and just \new Staff the violin variable
as it appears in the full score regardless of divisi complexity /
independence
--*(Violin I all on one staff for part)
b) only leave the Violin I as is from the full score if it's a simple score
and not that complicated of a separate part
--*(Violin I all on one staff for part, but only if it's not too complex of
a division rhythm-wise and for not that many measures in the score)
c) always input all divisi as separate variables from the beginning and
actually partcombine the divisi of the same instrument, so as to have
multiple staves if need be on the part version.
--*(Violin I from the start of engraving has already been pre-variabled into
2/3 divisi with a ton of spacer rests throughout the whole part until the
sections needed, then input the divisi notes, then go back to normal, etc -
at the end, use partcombine on the part, etc.)

How do you approach printing string parts for a modern orchestral piece,
regarding divisi? Does it depend or is your approach constant?
Most of the music I am engraving has divisi similar to that of the 19th
century, where it's not too separate of a part difference but some upcoming
projects I will be working on have rather diverse divisi spreads within the
same string part.
So I wanted to begin the project 'correctly' before getting too deep in and
realizing I couldn't do parts easily. You can't really [easily] do a
partcombine with just one variable taht has temporary voices on it.

Thanks

Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

Reggie
Reggie wrote

> For those of you who engrave orchestral music in which the strings often
> have
> your typical divisi a2 or a3
>
> Suppose a performance is coming up and you need to print parts from the
> full
> score.
>
> So when you go to engrave the individual parts for any of the strings for
> example, (say Violin I), would you:
>
> a) always leave the Violin I "as is" and just \new Staff the violin
> variable
> as it appears in the full score regardless of divisi complexity /
> independence
> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part)
> b) only leave the Violin I as is from the full score if it's a simple
> score
> and not that complicated of a separate part
> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part, but only if it's not too complex
> of
> a division rhythm-wise and for not that many measures in the score)
> c) always input all divisi as separate variables from the beginning and
> actually partcombine the divisi of the same instrument, so as to have
> multiple staves if need be on the part version.
> --*(Violin I from the start of engraving has already been pre-variabled
> into
> 2/3 divisi with a ton of spacer rests throughout the whole part until the
> sections needed, then input the divisi notes, then go back to normal, etc
> -
> at the end, use partcombine on the part, etc.)
>
> How do you approach printing string parts for a modern orchestral piece,
> regarding divisi? Does it depend or is your approach constant?
> Most of the music I am engraving has divisi similar to that of the 19th
> century, where it's not too separate of a part difference but some
> upcoming
> projects I will be working on have rather diverse divisi spreads within
> the
> same string part.
> So I wanted to begin the project 'correctly' before getting too deep in
> and
> realizing I couldn't do parts easily. You can't really [easily] do a
> partcombine with just one variable taht has temporary voices on it.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Please can someone help me with divisi engraver practices in lilypond
writing the music?

Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

Reggie
Reggie wrote

> Reggie wrote
>> For those of you who engrave orchestral music in which the strings often
>> have
>> your typical divisi a2 or a3
>>
>> Suppose a performance is coming up and you need to print parts from the
>> full
>> score.
>>
>> So when you go to engrave the individual parts for any of the strings for
>> example, (say Violin I), would you:
>>
>> a) always leave the Violin I "as is" and just \new Staff the violin
>> variable
>> as it appears in the full score regardless of divisi complexity /
>> independence
>> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part)
>> b) only leave the Violin I as is from the full score if it's a simple
>> score
>> and not that complicated of a separate part
>> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part, but only if it's not too complex
>> of
>> a division rhythm-wise and for not that many measures in the score)
>> c) always input all divisi as separate variables from the beginning and
>> actually partcombine the divisi of the same instrument, so as to have
>> multiple staves if need be on the part version.
>> --*(Violin I from the start of engraving has already been pre-variabled
>> into
>> 2/3 divisi with a ton of spacer rests throughout the whole part until the
>> sections needed, then input the divisi notes, then go back to normal, etc
>> -
>> at the end, use partcombine on the part, etc.)
>>
>> How do you approach printing string parts for a modern orchestral piece,
>> regarding divisi? Does it depend or is your approach constant?
>> Most of the music I am engraving has divisi similar to that of the 19th
>> century, where it's not too separate of a part difference but some
>> upcoming
>> projects I will be working on have rather diverse divisi spreads within
>> the
>> same string part.
>> So I wanted to begin the project 'correctly' before getting too deep in
>> and
>> realizing I couldn't do parts easily. You can't really [easily] do a
>> partcombine with just one variable taht has temporary voices on it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

> Please can someone help me with divisi engraver practices in lilypond
> writing the music?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

See what I mean here  https://image.ibb.co/bzL5aL/divisiexample.png how can
I create divisi from full score without going crzy?

\version "2.19.80"
\language "english"
#(set-global-staff-size 18)
\header {
  title = "Composition"
  % Remove default LilyPond tagline
  tagline = ##f
}

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "folio")
}

global = {
  \key c \major
  \numericTimeSignature
  \time 5/4
  \tempo "Slow"
}

violinI = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \repeat unfold 10 { c4 d c d8 ef8 f4 }
  \repeat unfold 4 {
    <<
      { c'16 c c c r4 cs16 cs cs cs r4 c}
      \\ { \tuplet 3/2 { < ef,, a>4 q q } <c' e>8 q q q q4 }

  }

  c1~c4 c1~c4 R1*5/4*4
}

violinII = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  R1*25
}

viola = \relative c' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  R1*25
}

cello = \relative c {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  R1*25
}

contrabass = \relative c {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \repeat unfold 10 { c2 d c d4 ef4 f2 }
}

violinIPart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Violin I"
} \violinI

violinIIPart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Violin II"
} \violinII

violaPart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Viola"
} { \clef alto \viola }

celloPart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Cello"
} { \clef bass \cello }

contrabassPart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Contrabass"
} { \clef bass \contrabass }

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \violinIPart
    \violinIIPart
    \violaPart
    \celloPart
    \contrabassPart

  \layout { }

Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

Reggie
Sorry is there a problem with Google translate please my apologies I fixed it
now from now on.

Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

Xavier Scheuer
Hello,

I use VerticalAxisGroup.remove-layer as described in
input/regression/divisi-staves.ly

See more info on the bug tracker of issue 3518.

Works very well but unfortunately not documented in the Notation
Reference manual it seems.

Cheers,
Xavier

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 at 03:07, Reggie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For those of you who engrave orchestral music in which the strings often have
> your typical divisi a2 or a3
>
> Suppose a performance is coming up and you need to print parts from the full
> score.
>
> So when you go to engrave the individual parts for any of the strings for
> example, (say Violin I), would you:
>
> a) always leave the Violin I "as is" and just \new Staff the violin variable
> as it appears in the full score regardless of divisi complexity /
> independence
> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part)
> b) only leave the Violin I as is from the full score if it's a simple score
> and not that complicated of a separate part
> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part, but only if it's not too complex of
> a division rhythm-wise and for not that many measures in the score)
> c) always input all divisi as separate variables from the beginning and
> actually partcombine the divisi of the same instrument, so as to have
> multiple staves if need be on the part version.
> --*(Violin I from the start of engraving has already been pre-variabled into
> 2/3 divisi with a ton of spacer rests throughout the whole part until the
> sections needed, then input the divisi notes, then go back to normal, etc -
> at the end, use partcombine on the part, etc.)
>
> How do you approach printing string parts for a modern orchestral piece,
> regarding divisi? Does it depend or is your approach constant?
> Most of the music I am engraving has divisi similar to that of the 19th
> century, where it's not too separate of a part difference but some upcoming
> projects I will be working on have rather diverse divisi spreads within the
> same string part.
> So I wanted to begin the project 'correctly' before getting too deep in and
> realizing I couldn't do parts easily. You can't really [easily] do a
> partcombine with just one variable taht has temporary voices on it.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>

Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

Reggie
Can you show how to apply this to my code I shared please? Staffgroup added?

Xavier Scheuer wrote

> [...]

>> Most of the music I am engraving has divisi similar to that of the 19th
>> century, where it's not too separate of a part difference but some
> upcoming
>> projects I will be working on have rather diverse divisi spreads within
> the
>> same string part.
>> So I wanted to begin the project 'correctly' before getting too deep in
> and
>> realizing I couldn't do parts easily. You can't really [easily] do a
>> partcombine with just one variable taht has temporary voices on it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

> Xavier Scheuer &lt;

> x.scheuer@

> &gt;

Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

Please show me how you mean what you are talking about I cannot understand
this. I believe this is an essential piece when composing orchestral works
and making the parts for the parts and players. Thank you.

Xavier Scheuer wrote