adding a snippet to a patch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

adding a snippet to a patch

David Nalesnik
Hi,

I'm adding a snippet to a patch dealing with hairpins, and I'm not
sure what I need to do.

I've added the snippet to Documentation/snippets/new.

Do I then need to run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py and add the
resulting files to my patch for upload to Rietveld?

The reason I ask is that there is a snippet not my own which is
getting written to Documentation/snippets/ when I run the script:
using-marklines-in-a-frenched-score.ly.  This leads to changes in
Documentation/snippets/staff-notation.snippet-list as well.

I don't want these changes jumbled in with my patch.

Thanks,
David

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

David Nalesnik
On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM, David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm adding a snippet to a patch dealing with hairpins, and I'm not
> sure what I need to do.
>
> I've added the snippet to Documentation/snippets/new.
>
> Do I then need to run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py and add the
> resulting files to my patch for upload to Rietveld?
>
> The reason I ask is that there is a snippet not my own which is
> getting written to Documentation/snippets/ when I run the script:
> using-marklines-in-a-frenched-score.ly.  This leads to changes in
> Documentation/snippets/staff-notation.snippet-list as well.
>
> I don't want these changes jumbled in with my patch.

Looking over several older patches affecting snippets, I see that I
should run the makelsr script and add the resulting files.

This, however, was not done in the last patch adding a snippet:

commit 5944d20489bb5b8e4c4907fa3b3bcae9ec275ccb
Author: Mark Knoop <[hidden email]>
Date:   Thu Sep 8 18:56:16 2016 +0100

I'm at a loss what to do.   Should I just add the files relevant to my
patch, and ignore those produced by Mark's?

Thanks,
David

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

Trevor Daniels

David Nalesnik wrote Monday, January 09, 2017 9:51 PM


> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM, David Nalesnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm adding a snippet to a patch dealing with hairpins, and I'm not
>> sure what I need to do.
>>
>> I've added the snippet to Documentation/snippets/new.
>>
>> Do I then need to run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py and add the
>> resulting files to my patch for upload to Rietveld?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that there is a snippet not my own which is
>> getting written to Documentation/snippets/ when I run the script:
>> using-marklines-in-a-frenched-score.ly.  This leads to changes in
>> Documentation/snippets/staff-notation.snippet-list as well.
>>
>> I don't want these changes jumbled in with my patch.
>
> Looking over several older patches affecting snippets, I see that I
> should run the makelsr script and add the resulting files.
>
> This, however, was not done in the last patch adding a snippet:
>
> commit 5944d20489bb5b8e4c4907fa3b3bcae9ec275ccb
> Author: Mark Knoop <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Thu Sep 8 18:56:16 2016 +0100
>
> I'm at a loss what to do.   Should I just add the files relevant to my
> patch, and ignore those produced by Mark's?

The normal practice is to include the makelsr.py changes with
your patch on Reitveld, but as two separate commits, so the
makelsr.py changes are in a commit on their own.

In this case, as there are some other changes involved, I
suggest running makelsr.py first, before applying your patch,
and push to staging.  No need for a prior review.  Then your
patch, including a second makelsr.py in a separate commit,
can be uploaded to Reitveld cleanly.

Trevor
_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

David Nalesnik
On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suggest running makelsr.py first, before applying your patch,
> and push to staging.  No need for a prior review.

After this:

[lilypond-git (dev/lsr)]$ git pull -r origin staging
From git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond
 * branch            staging    -> FETCH_HEAD
Current branch dev/lsr is up to date.


Unfortunately, I get this output when I try to push to staging:

[lilypond-git (dev/lsr)]$ git push origin HEAD:staging
Counting objects: 7, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 1.69 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 7 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)
error: unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit
To git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
 ! [remote rejected] HEAD -> staging (n/a (unpacker error))
error: failed to push some refs to 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git'


Any ideas what could have gone wrong/how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

David

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

Thomas Morley-2
2017-01-10 0:36 GMT+01:00 David Nalesnik <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I suggest running makelsr.py first, before applying your patch,
>> and push to staging.  No need for a prior review.
>
> After this:
>
> [lilypond-git (dev/lsr)]$ git pull -r origin staging
> From git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond
>  * branch            staging    -> FETCH_HEAD
> Current branch dev/lsr is up to date.
>
>
> Unfortunately, I get this output when I try to push to staging:
>
> [lilypond-git (dev/lsr)]$ git push origin HEAD:staging
> Counting objects: 7, done.
> Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 1.69 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
> Total 7 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)
> error: unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit
> To git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>  ! [remote rejected] HEAD -> staging (n/a (unpacker error))
> error: failed to push some refs to 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git'
>
>
> Any ideas what could have gone wrong/how to fix it?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> David

Probably new LilyDev?
If so, follow the relevant steps in
CG 3.4.9 Commit access
starting with generating another SSH ‘rsa’ key pair
...

Cheers,
 Harm

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

David Nalesnik
Harm,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2017-01-10 0:36 GMT+01:00 David Nalesnik <[hidden email]>:

>> After this:
>>
>> [lilypond-git (dev/lsr)]$ git pull -r origin staging
>> From git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond
>>  * branch            staging    -> FETCH_HEAD
>> Current branch dev/lsr is up to date.
>>
>>
>> Unfortunately, I get this output when I try to push to staging:
>>
>> [lilypond-git (dev/lsr)]$ git push origin HEAD:staging
>> Counting objects: 7, done.
>> Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
>> Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 1.69 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
>> Total 7 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)
>> error: unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit
>> To git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>>  ! [remote rejected] HEAD -> staging (n/a (unpacker error))
>> error: failed to push some refs to 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git'
>>
>>
>> Any ideas what could have gone wrong/how to fix it?

>
> Probably new LilyDev?
> If so, follow the relevant steps in
> CG 3.4.9 Commit access
> starting with generating another SSH ‘rsa’ key pair
> ...

That was it.  Thanks so much!

David

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

Mark Knoop-4
In reply to this post by David Nalesnik
At 15:51 on 09 Jan 2017, David Nalesnik wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM, David Nalesnik
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm adding a snippet to a patch dealing with hairpins, and I'm not
>> sure what I need to do.
>>
>> I've added the snippet to Documentation/snippets/new.
>>
>> Do I then need to run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py and add the
>> resulting files to my patch for upload to Rietveld?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that there is a snippet not my own which is
>> getting written to Documentation/snippets/ when I run the script:
>> using-marklines-in-a-frenched-score.ly.  This leads to changes in
>> Documentation/snippets/staff-notation.snippet-list as well.
>>
>> I don't want these changes jumbled in with my patch.  
>
>Looking over several older patches affecting snippets, I see that I
>should run the makelsr script and add the resulting files.
>
>This, however, was not done in the last patch adding a snippet:
>
>commit 5944d20489bb5b8e4c4907fa3b3bcae9ec275ccb
>Author: Mark Knoop <[hidden email]>
>Date:   Thu Sep 8 18:56:16 2016 +0100

I suppose this is simply because I was also unsure what to do. I thought
I followed the CG for this at the time, but probably missed a step or
something.

--
Mark Knoop

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

James Lowe
Hello,


On 11/01/17 08:08, Mark Knoop wrote:

> At 15:51 on 09 Jan 2017, David Nalesnik wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM, David Nalesnik
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm adding a snippet to a patch dealing with hairpins, and I'm not
>>> sure what I need to do.
>>>
>>> I've added the snippet to Documentation/snippets/new.
>>>
>>> Do I then need to run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py and add the
>>> resulting files to my patch for upload to Rietveld?
  For testing/code review uploading a patch that also contains a
makelsr.py run can sometimes end up affecting a lot of other files that
are not really part of the review.

So, what others have done in the past which I think is more convenient,
is to upload the patch to Rietveld *with* the snippet change but
*without* the makelsr.py run.

In the 'olden' days when I had a script to download and run the tests
(i.e. without any need for any kind of intervention from me other than
to check the reg test output for anything unusual) I would in the cases
of snippets in patches, run the tests manually and include a makelsr.py
as part of the workflow for testing the patch.

This is one of the benefits of having flexible patch testing methods by
the way.

Then once the patch was approved the general consensus was to apply the
patch 'as is', then, in a separate commit the makelsr.py, that way it
was easier to backout something that one massive patch+makelsr.py checkin.

So if you prefer to do that - let the patch test include the makelsr.py
- then just make sure that is stated in the Tracker (in case the patch
tester - which is usually me) doesn't notice a snippet being added/modified.

I hope that helps.

James

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: adding a snippet to a patch

David Nalesnik
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 3:27 AM, James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>
> On 11/01/17 08:08, Mark Knoop wrote:
>>
>> At 15:51 on 09 Jan 2017, David Nalesnik wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM, David Nalesnik
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I'm adding a snippet to a patch dealing with hairpins, and I'm not
>>>> sure what I need to do.
>>>>
>>>> I've added the snippet to Documentation/snippets/new.
>>>>
>>>> Do I then need to run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py and add the
>>>> resulting files to my patch for upload to Rietveld?
>
>  For testing/code review uploading a patch that also contains a makelsr.py
> run can sometimes end up affecting a lot of other files that are not really
> part of the review.
>
> So, what others have done in the past which I think is more convenient, is
> to upload the patch to Rietveld *with* the snippet change but *without* the
> makelsr.py run.
>
> In the 'olden' days when I had a script to download and run the tests (i.e.
> without any need for any kind of intervention from me other than to check
> the reg test output for anything unusual) I would in the cases of snippets
> in patches, run the tests manually and include a makelsr.py as part of the
> workflow for testing the patch.
>
> This is one of the benefits of having flexible patch testing methods by the
> way.
>
> Then once the patch was approved the general consensus was to apply the
> patch 'as is', then, in a separate commit the makelsr.py, that way it was
> easier to backout something that one massive patch+makelsr.py checkin.
>
> So if you prefer to do that - let the patch test include the makelsr.py -
> then just make sure that is stated in the Tracker (in case the patch tester
> - which is usually me) doesn't notice a snippet being added/modified.
>
> I hope that helps.
>

Thank you, James.  I will follow your recommended procedure when it
comes time to put my newer patch set up.

David

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel