add vertical space to ottava

Ryan Michael
Hello, So I know how to change the priority of the ottava such that it appears on the outside of other elements of the system. However, in my case, I simply want to increase the vertical space between the ottava in the other elements. How do I accomplish this? I have tried something like
%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
\offset Y-offset 20
\ottava #1
d2 d2 d2 d2
\ottava #0
d,2 d,2 d,2 d,2
%%%%%%%%%

Thank you for the help!
Ryan.

--
ॐ नमः शिवाय

Re: add vertical space to ottava

SoundsFromSound

On 9/28/2018 12:17 PM, Ryan Michael wrote:
Hello, So I know how to change the priority of the ottava such that it appears on the outside of other elements of the system. However, in my case, I simply want to increase the vertical space between the ottava in the other elements. How do I accomplish this? I have tried something like
%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
\offset Y-offset 20
\ottava #1
d2 d2 d2 d2
\ottava #0
d,2 d,2 d,2 d,2
%%%%%%%%%

Thank you for the help!
Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

You could adjust the offset values to taste...

%%%%%%%

 \override Staff.OttavaBracket.extra-offset = #'(0 . 2)
\ottava #1
d2 d2 d2 d2
\ottava #0
d,2 d,2 d,2 d,2

}
%%%%%%%%%

Does that get you started? :)

composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: add vertical space to ottava

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Ryan,

>> I simply want to increase the vertical space between the ottava in the other elements. How do I accomplish this?
> \override Staff.OttavaBracket.extra-offset = #'(0 . 2)

I always reserve extra-offset for the very last resort, because it doesn’t interact with the spacing algorithms (i.e., it moves grobs after all the automagic spacing is already done). In this case, one way to do that would be to use

 \override Staff.OttavaBracket.staff-padding = #3

instead of the extra-offset tweak suggested above.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.