accordion notation - counter bass note

Gianmaria Lari
On the accordion to indicate that a note is to be played in the counter bass we put a small dash under the number of the finger (see attached file capture.png). How can I do it?

* * *

Another convention for counter bass (that my teacher uses) is to put an x in front of the number of the finger. I tried with this code

\version "2.19.60"
{\clef bass c,_3 d,_"3x" }

but as you can see in the attached file capture2.png the result is not ok because the font size is different. I imagine I can change the font size but I wonder if I'm doing the right things in this way.

Thank you, g.

Capture.PNG (14K) Download Attachment
Capture2.PNG (2K) Download Attachment

Re: accordion notation - counter bass note

David Kastrup
Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> writes:

> On the accordion to indicate that a note is to be played in the counter
> bass we put a small dash *under* the number of the finger (see attached
> file capture.png). How can I do it?
>
> * * *
>
> Another convention for counter bass (that my teacher uses) is to put an x
> in front of the number of the finger. I tried with this code
>
> \version "2.19.60"
> {\clef bass c,_3 d,_"3x" }
>
> but as you can see in the attached file capture2.png the result is not ok
> because the font size is different. I imagine I can change the font size
> but I wonder if I'm doing the right things in this way.

Here are a few versions:

\version "2.19.60"
{\clef bass c,_3 d,_\finger "3x" e,_\markup \underline \finger 3 }

Re: accordion notation - counter bass note

Gianmaria Lari
Perfect!!! Thank you David!

Now, because they are a bit verbose, I would like to create a function with parameter.
This is without parameter:

\version "2.19.60"
newFinger = \markup \underline \finger 3
{\clef bass e,_\newFinger }

How can I write somethingl ike:

\newFinger #3

?

Re: accordion notation - counter bass note

David Kastrup
Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> writes:

> Perfect!!! Thank you David!
>
> Now, because they are a bit verbose, I would like to create a function with
> parameter.
> This is without parameter:
>
> \version "2.19.60"
> newFinger = \markup \underline \finger 3
> {\clef bass e,_\newFinger }
>

> How can I write somethingl ike:
>
> \newFinger #3
>

> ?

Well, version 2.19.60 has \etc but it does not work for mixtures of
incomplete music functions and markup commands.  So you'd need to do it
the hard way:

newFinger =
#(define-event-function (arg) (number-or-markup?)
  #{ -\markup \underline \finger
     #(if (number? arg) (number->string arg) arg)
  #})

Re: accordion notation - counter bass note

Gianmaria Lari
It works perfectly thank you David.

What's \etc? Any link to this command?

Thank you!!!
g.

On 13 June 2017 at 18:43, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> writes:

> Perfect!!! Thank you David!
>
> Now, because they are a bit verbose, I would like to create a function with
> parameter.
> This is without parameter:
>
> \version "2.19.60"
> newFinger = \markup \underline \finger 3
> {\clef bass e,_\newFinger }
>

> How can I write somethingl ike:
>
> \newFinger #3
>

> ?

Well, version 2.19.60 has \etc but it does not work for mixtures of
incomplete music functions and markup commands.  So you'd need to do it
the hard way:

newFinger =
#(define-event-function (arg) (number-or-markup?)
  #{ -\markup \underline \finger
     #(if (number? arg) (number->string arg) arg)
  #})

Re: accordion notation - counter bass note

Simon Albrecht-2
On 13.06.2017 18:51, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> What's \etc? Any link to this command?

A great, unfortunately yet undocumented new feature. Essentially it’s a
shorthand notation for defining music functions (and markup commands,
IIRC) without using scheme syntax. Bogus example: instead of writing

lowRelative =
#(define-music-function (mus) (ly:music?)
   #{ \relative c,,, $mus #})

you can write

lowRelative = \relative c,,, \etc

HTH, Simon

Simon Albrecht <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 13.06.2017 18:51, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
>> What's \etc? Any link to this command?
>
> A great, unfortunately yet undocumented new feature.

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/substitution-function-examples#index-_005cetc>

You'll also find it listed in
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/changes/index.html>.

Re: accordion notation - counter bass note

Gianmaria Lari
Thank you David and Simon! (and Brian!)

On 13.06.2017 23:18, David Kastrup wrote:
> Simon Albrecht <[hidden email]> writes:
>> On 13.06.2017 18:51, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
>>> What's \etc? Any link to this command?
>> A great, unfortunately yet undocumented new feature.
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/substitution-function-examples#index-_005cetc>
>
> You'll also find it listed in
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/changes/index.html>.

Ouch – my apologies!