accidentals after mid-measure break

Malte Meyn-3
Hi list,

I think that accidentals should be repeated after a break in every case.
LilyPond does this with tied notes over a bar line but not with tied or
even separate notes within a measure:

\version "2.21.0"
\relative {
   \partial 2 c'2 d e fis \bar "" \break
   fis g1 fis2~ \bar "" \break
   fis g1 fis~ \break
   fis2 g g, \bar "|."
}

Do you agree that this is a bug?

Cheers,
Malte

Re: accidentals after mid-measure break

ptoye
As a performer,  I think it's definitely very confusing. The slightly amended version below would leave me wondering what note I was meant to be playing for the second  crotchet (quarter-note).

\version "2.21.0"
\relative {
   \partial 2 c'2 d e fis \bar "" \break
   fis g1 fis2~ \bar "" \break
   fis4 fis4 g1 fis~ \break
   fis2 g g, \bar "|."
}

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

Malte Meyn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I think that accidentals should be repeated after a break in every
> case. LilyPond does this with tied notes over a bar line but not with
> tied or even separate notes within a measure:
>
> \version "2.21.0"
> \relative {
>   \partial 2 c'2 d e fis \bar "" \break
>   fis g1 fis2~ \bar "" \break
>   fis g1 fis~ \break
>   fis2 g g, \bar "|."
> }
>
> Do you agree that this is a bug?
We can agree all day long but LilyPond's accidental algorithm is way out
of its depth to deal correctly with line breaks.  Even at tied notes
over a barline, the next accidental may appear properly but without
impacting the following accidental as appropriate: there would be a
ripple effect that is way beyond the current implementation even right
at a barline, and doing that kind of ripple effect for mid-bar breaks
would be much harder still.

Try

\fixed c'
{