abc2ly script doesn't support dynamics

alex-2

Hello,

This is my first time reporting a bug here. If I am violating some protocol, please let me know.

I am using `abc2ly`, provided in the lilypond packaging, to convert the following ABC to Lilypond:

C: Alex Hansen
L: 1/128

V:TI clef=treble name="Voice 1" snm="V.1"

V:TII clef=bass name="Voice 2" snm="V.2"

[V:TI] d32d32a32a32b32b32!p!a64g32g32^f32^f32e32e32d64

[V:TII]d,,128g,,128b,,128a,,64d,,64

Note the !p! dynamic in [V:TI]. I believe the script for abc2ly does not support dynamics currently, although this is valid ABC. Are there plans to implement dynamics? In the ABC standard, it is noted that while not all attributes are considered required when parsing ABC, dynamics are part of the core set.

Thanks,

Alex

Re: abc2ly script doesn't support dynamics

David Kastrup
alex <[hidden email]> writes:

> ​
>

> Hello,
>

> This is my first time reporting a bug here. If I am violating some
> protocol, please let me know.
>

> I am using `abc2ly`, provided in the lilypond packaging, to convert
> the following ABC to Lilypond:
>

> C: Alex Hansen
> L: 1/128
>

> V:TI clef=treble name="Voice 1" snm="V.1"
>

> V:TII clef=bass name="Voice 2" snm="V.2"
>
> [V:TI] d32d32a32a32b32b32!p!a64g32g32^f32^f32e32e32d64
>

> [V:TII]d,,128g,,128b,,128a,,64d,,64
>

> Note the !p! dynamic in [V:TI]. I believe the script for abc2ly does
> not support dynamics currently, although this is valid ABC. Are there
> plans to implement dynamics? In the ABC standard, it is noted that
> while not all attributes are considered required when parsing ABC,
> dynamics are part of the core set.

Last change in functionality of abc2ly was

commit 3702169e4b17edbb4bff9331215eccaba6f2d478
Author: Paul Morris <[hidden email]>
Date:   Mon May 22 15:35:40 2017 -0400

    abc2ly: Support R (rhythm / meter) and Z (transcription) fields

and the last one before that in 2015 (something related to grace notes).
It has been ported over to Python 3, though.

I don't think there are active plans for anything at the moment (or even
any active developer who had significant involvement with abc2ly), so
feel free to jump in.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".

Re: abc2ly script doesn't support dynamics

m.tarenskeen

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020, alex wrote:

> Are there plans to implement dynamics? In the ABC standard, it is noted
> that while not all attributes are considered required when parsing ABC,
> dynamics are part of the core set.

I don't think abc2ly is very actively supported and developed currently.

The future is in improving musicxml in/export for LilyPond.

There is xml2abc and xml2abc by Wim Vree, these are quite good:

https://wim.vree.org/svgParse/xml2abc.html
https://wim.vree.org/svgParse/abc2xml.html

And there is musicxml2ly to convert musicxml to lilypond.
This probably works better now already than abc2ly.

And MusicXML can be imported in all major Music typesetting programs like
Finale, Sibelius, Dorico, and MuseScore.

--

MT

Re: abc2ly script doesn't support dynamics

m.tarenskeen

(My comments are below the quoted message)

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020, alex wrote:

> I am using `abc2ly`, provided in the lilypond packaging, to convert the following ABC to Lilypond:
>

> C: Alex Hansen
> L: 1/128
>

> V:TI clef=treble name="Voice 1" snm="V.1"
>

> V:TII clef=bass name="Voice 2" snm="V.2"
>
> [V:TI] d32d32a32a32b32b32!p!a64g32g32^f32^f32e32e32d64
>

> [V:TII]d,,128g,,128b,,128a,,64d,,64

Hi Alex,

I tried the ABC -> abc2xml -> musicxml2ly -> LILYPOND method and it works.
But before that, be sure to input valid ABC code. Most important you can't
put empty lines between the lines in ABC syntax, unlike lilypond. In ABC
an empty line terminates a song. And you need an X: field to start the
header (recommended), and a K: field to mark the end of the header
(required).

See here: https://abcnotation.com/wiki/abc:standard

Your code in valid ABC would look something like

X:1
T:Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
C:Alex Hansen
L:1/128
K:D
V:TI clef=treble name="Voice 1" snm="V.1"
V:TII clef=bass name="Voice 2" snm="V.2"
[V:TI] d32 d32 a32 a32 | b32 b32 !p!a64 | g32 g32 ^f32 ^f32 | e32 e32 d64 |
[V:TII] d,,128 | g,,128 | b,,128 | a,,64 d,,64 |

After these corrections I could use abc2xml and produce valid lilypond
output, including the \p dynamics.

MT