X-aligning problems with chords containing unisons

X-aligning problems with chords containing unisons

Torsten Hämmerle
Hi all,

Chords containing unison highest/lowest notes will sometimes produce wrong
positioning of articulation marks, dynamics, slurs, etc.
These grobs should be centred on the notehead that is on the correct side of
the stem (as Gould put it).

Technically, the "correct" side of the stem is determined by the first note
in the chord, i.e. the note opposite the stem's direction.

If this extremal note happens to have a unison sibling, LilyPond currently
will pick the wrong notehead in some cases (stem up), thus causing a wrong
positioning of articulations, dynamics, slurs, …  The spacing will be
widened up a bit, too, as a chord-building side-effect.

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/X-align-on-main-noteheads.png>

The misplaced grobs are coloured in red and below, there's my proposed
solution for correct positioning.

That's a nice little bug for the issue tracker, isn't it?

Thanks,
Torsten

--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Bugs-f58488.html

Re: X-aligning problems with chords containing unisons

Simon Albrecht-2
Thanks for reporting, this has been added as
<https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5413/>.

Best, Simon

On 02.09.2018 12:13, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Chords containing unison highest/lowest notes will sometimes produce wrong
> positioning of articulation marks, dynamics, slurs, etc.
> These grobs should be centred on the notehead that is on the correct side of
> the stem (as Gould put it).
>
> Technically, the "correct" side of the stem is determined by the first note
> in the chord, i.e. the note opposite the stem's direction.
>
> If this extremal note happens to have a unison sibling, LilyPond currently
> will pick the wrong notehead in some cases (stem up), thus causing a wrong
> positioning of articulations, dynamics, slurs, …  The spacing will be
> widened up a bit, too, as a chord-building side-effect.
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/X-align-on-main-noteheads.png>
>
> The misplaced grobs are coloured in red and below, there's my proposed
> solution for correct positioning.
>
> That's a nice little bug for the issue tracker, isn't it?
>
> Thanks,
> Torsten
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Bugs-f58488.html

Re: X-aligning problems with chords containing unisons

James Lowe-3
Hello,

On 02/09/18 11:13, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Chords containing unison highest/lowest notes will sometimes produce wrong
> positioning of articulation marks, dynamics, slurs, etc.
> These grobs should be centred on the notehead that is on the correct side of
> the stem (as Gould put it).
>
> Technically, the "correct" side of the stem is determined by the first note
> in the chord, i.e. the note opposite the stem's direction.
>
> If this extremal note happens to have a unison sibling, LilyPond currently
> will pick the wrong notehead in some cases (stem up), thus causing a wrong
> positioning of articulations, dynamics, slurs, …  The spacing will be
> widened up a bit, too, as a chord-building side-effect.
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/X-align-on-main-noteheads.png>
>
> The misplaced grobs are coloured in red and below, there's my proposed
> solution for correct positioning.
>
> That's a nice little bug for the issue tracker, isn't it?
>
> Thanks,
> Torsten
for those that don't follow 'dev'

This is