Why not a forum?

johann_p
I am pretty new to lilypond and this list, but I wonder if it
would be possible to create a discussion forum on the lilypond
website?
My experience is that forums are much more convenient to discuss
problems. One of the advantages is that one can make different
forums for different areas of discussion. One can also make
certain frequently occuring topics sticky or easily provide
links to manuals and other documentation.

An alternative, the anachronistic version of a forum would be
a USENET group ...

Re: Why not a forum?

Benjamin Esham
Johann Petrak wrote:

> I am pretty new to lilypond and this list, but I wonder if it would be
> possible to create a discussion forum on the lilypond website?  My
> experience is that forums are much more convenient to discuss
> problems.
> One of the advantages is that one can make different forums for
> different
> areas of discussion. One can also make certain frequently occuring
> topics
> sticky or easily provide links to manuals and other documentation.
>
> An alternative, the anachronistic version of a forum would be a USENET
> group ...
I think people generally prefer mailing lists because they allow
users to
view content the way they want to view it; people have much more control
over their mail clients than over web-based fora.  If you want to view
LilyPond lists as USENET groups, check out

   http://gmane.org/find.php?list=lilypond

For me, GMANE is great because mailing lists are often much easier to
work
with when they're presented as USENET groups; the threading, for
example.

HTH,
--
Benjamin D. Esham