Whole measure rest in 9/4 time

Joseph Srednicki
Hello:

I am working on an organ piece by Vierne that is in 9/4 time.

The whole measure rest in 9/4 time is much narrower that what appears in standard Durand edition of the 24 Pièces en style libre.

How do I make the whole measure rest in 9/4 time appear as it does in 4/4 time?

See the tiny example below. Measure 1 shows a whole measure rest in 9/4 time, and Measure 2 shows a whole measure rest in 4/4 time?

How do I make the whole measure rest in Measure 1 appear like the whole measure rest in Measure 2?

I read the documentation on whole measure rests and snippets. I also searched the Lilypond email archive and Google, but an answer did not jump out at time, unless I overlooked somethings.

Thank to anyone who can provide an answer.

Joe Srednicki

======================

  \time 9/4

  R1*9/4 |

  \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4 R1 |

Re: Whole measure rest in 9/4 time

David Sumbler

[...]

}

**********************************

I asked a similar question earlier this year.  Here is your answer:

  \time 9/4
  \override MultiMeasureRest.usable-duration-logs = #'(0)
  R1*9/4 |

  \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4 R1 |
}

David

Re: Whole measure rest in 9/4 time

Andrew Bernard
Hi David,

What does usable-duration-logs mean? The NR internals section says:

usable-duration-logs (list):
'(-3 -2 -1 0)
List of duration-logs that can be used in typesetting the grob.

I am aware the NR is reference not tutorial, but this entry has very little explanatory value. What do the logarithms do? Why do you set it to a list containing 0? These manual entries are not illuminating because it just says that the usable durations log list is a list of usable duration logs, and that they can be used in typesetting. It would be great of we could improve this entry at least. I am reminded of those all too common software user manuals that have an entry for File->Open saying open a file and that's it. Great.

Andrew

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 at 10:43, David Sumbler <[hidden email]> wrote:

  \time 9/4
  \override MultiMeasureRest.usable-duration-logs = #'(0)
  R1*9/4 |

  \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4 R1 |

Re: Whole measure rest in 9/4 time

Malte Meyn-3

Am 30.12.18 um 10:21 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
> Hi David,
>
> What does usable-duration-logs mean? The NR internals section says:
>
> usable-duration-logs (list):
> '(-3 -2 -1 0)
> List of duration-logs that can be used in typesetting the grob.

This says which rests can be used for a whole measure (depending on its
length).

-3 maxima
-2 longa
-1 breve (that’s default for 9/4 time)
0 whole/semibreve
1 half/minim
2 quarter/crotchet
3 eighth/quaver

Normally, you wouldn’t use positive logs (rest durations shorter than
whole) even for shorter measures like 3/8. But longer measures like 4/2
or 9/4 will get longer rest durations because negative logs are allowed.
Setting usable-duration-logs to '(0) allows only whole rests for
measures of all lengths.

Re: Whole measure rest in 9/4 time

Aaron Hill
On 2018-12-30 1:21 am, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> What does usable-duration-logs mean? The NR internals section says:
>
> usable-duration-logs (list):
> '(-3 -2 -1 0)
> List of duration-logs that can be used in typesetting the grob.

If I am not mistaken, the value refers to the base-two logarithm of the
reciprocal duration of a note.  (I think it's the reciprocal, but I
might have it backwards.)

So, -3 = maxima, -2 = longa, -1 = breve, 0 = whole, 1 = half, 2 =
quarter, etc.

That means setting the usable-duration-logs list to just '(0) means it
can only use the whole rest symbol for the multi-measure rest.

-- Aaron Hill