What kind of forum are we lacking?

David Kastrup

I just reencountered the following StackExchange exchange when looking
for something else:

<https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/50184/how-to-define-a-lilypond-function-to-return-set-of-notes-given-a-pitch>

It has almost sort of a tutorial answer by some one-time poster (not all
that rare for LilyPond questions, almost as if somebody were trying to
avoid building up a reputation).

At some time in the distant past, there was the "LilyPond Report" for
capturing a bit of content
<https://web.archive.org/web/20130813084059/http://news.lilynet.net/?The-LilyPond-Report-27#a_kind_of_magic>
but it was not as much in Q&A form and not that much searchable.  There
is nothing wrong per se with the user list, but it's not indexed in a
manner where many of the high quality answers would be accumulated into
wisdom, and it is comparatively rare that something gets condensed into
the somewhat hard to find LSR, and then the educational aspect goes
somewhat missing.  This kind of stuff does not rise to the level where
making a package of the code makes a lot of sense either.

Just throwing this out in case somebody has an idea for such things.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".

Re: What kind of forum are we lacking?

Karlin High
On 2/11/2020 10:03 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
> There
> is nothing wrong per se with the user list, but it's not indexed in a
> manner where many of the high quality answers would be accumulated into
> wisdom, and it is comparatively rare that something gets condensed into
> the somewhat hard to find LSR, and then the educational aspect goes
> somewhat missing.  This kind of stuff does not rise to the level where
> making a package of the code makes a lot of sense either.
>
> Just throwing this out in case somebody has an idea for such things.

How about if email list traffic was periodically summarized and posted
to the "Scores of Beauty" blog <https://lilypondblog.org/> ?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Karlin High <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2/11/2020 10:03 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> There
>> is nothing wrong per se with the user list, but it's not indexed in a
>> manner where many of the high quality answers would be accumulated into
>> wisdom, and it is comparatively rare that something gets condensed into
>> the somewhat hard to find LSR, and then the educational aspect goes
>> somewhat missing.  This kind of stuff does not rise to the level where
>> making a package of the code makes a lot of sense either.
>> Just throwing this out in case somebody has an idea for such things.
>
> How about if email list traffic was periodically summarized and posted
> to the "Scores of Beauty" blog <https://lilypondblog.org/> ?

This sounds like something that would warrant Graham's talent of getting
people to do ultimately beneficial tasks for extended amounts of time.

An organised index of interesting solution threads...  Would make for an
interesting if somewhat arbitrary Wiki page.