Vocal Lyric Placement?

Jeremy Turner
Hello,

I discovered lilypond not too long ago and it really is excellent.  To any
developers out there, keep up the good work!

However, I have a problem that has me stumped.  I searched through the
documentation and the mailing list archives, with no luck.

First, I am using version 2.6.4 (I see that 2.6.5 is out, but I don't know
if that has any bearing on my issue).

I am working on a SATB vocal piece, where I would like soprano lyrics
above the treble clef in only a couple of measures, as the lyrics deviate
from the rest of the ensemble.

I can create an extra soprano part with notes and lyrics, and then combine
that part with the regular soprano and alto parts, but I was wondering if
there was some way I could redirect lyric placement above the staff with
an override.  Or is there a better way I should approach this issue?  I'd
rather not print all the soprano lyrics above the staff, because they are
the same for almost the entire piece, except for 4 measures.

Any advice?

Jeremy

Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

Ian Hawthorn
The same problem arises frequently when typesetting barbershop
music only worse because for most of the piece all four parts sing
the same lyric, but there may be a couple of bars when all lyrics
are different and so four lyric lines are required. No truly satisfactory
solution has yet been proposed that I am aware of, although myself and
others have sought assistance with this issue here several times.

Yes Lilypond CAN handle this type of thing, and no doubt some others
will point you at appropriate parts of the documentation that seem to
indicate how this might be done. The killer problem for me however
is that there seems to be no completely satisfactory way to do this
within the confines of something like the SATB template.

If you introduce a mostly blank lyric line for the split lyric section in
the template, you have the tedium of entering a lot of blanks or spaces;
but worse than that, lilypond will allow vertical space for it throughout
the entire piece (even where blank),  which throws the vertical spacing
completely out of whack everywhere and is visually annoying. The only
way to stop lilypond doing this would seem to involve changing how the
staves are stacked for just those few bars only so that the blank lyric
line
is simply not present elsewhere. But this completely breaks any hope of
using a template and looks awfully tricky to do as well.

I can tell you that what you are asking is a hard problem, so don't get your
hopes up that there is an easy answer. Abandoning the use of a template
for me this would be a major change to the way I use lilypond and I'd need
to gain a lot deeper understanding of it than I currently have. At the
moment
I am simply typing extra lyric lines consisting mostly of blanks and
stewing
over the annoying extra vertical space in the output.

Best Wishes
Ian H

>Hello,
>
>I discovered lilypond not too long ago and it really is excellent.  To any
>developers out there, keep up the good work!
>
>However, I have a problem that has me stumped.  I searched through the
>documentation and the mailing list archives, with no luck.
>
>First, I am using version 2.6.4 (I see that 2.6.5 is out, but I don't know
>if that has any bearing on my issue).
>
>I am working on a SATB vocal piece, where I would like soprano lyrics
>above the treble clef in only a couple of measures, as the lyrics deviate
>from the rest of the ensemble.
>
>I can create an extra soprano part with notes and lyrics, and then combine
>that part with the regular soprano and alto parts, but I was wondering if
>there was some way I could redirect lyric placement above the staff with
>an override.  Or is there a better way I should approach this issue?  I'd
>rather not print all the soprano lyrics above the staff, because they are
>the same for almost the entire piece, except for 4 measures.
>
>Any advice?
>
>Jeremy

Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

Gianluca D\'Orazio
Alle 23:06, venerdì 2 dicembre 2005, Ian Hawthorn ha scritto:

> I can tell you that what you are asking is a hard problem, so don't get
> your hopes up that there is an easy answer.

The answer is quite easy, once you have learned to use the wonderful ability
of Lilypond to merge different music expressions into one context.
I've written this little bit of code which shows how to put different words
without using a lot of blank spaces and without any problems in vertical
alignment.
I'd like to explain how it works, but my english is not good at all, so I hope
you could understand it by reading it.
The key to is in two things:
a) using the \context command to give different names to the different
sections of the part and, consequently, of the lyrics;
b) using the same lyrics-context to have lyrics vertically aligned *even if*
these lyrics are not associated with the same voice.

\version "2.6.4"

%% Here there are two definitions to make notes invisible in a comfortable way
blanknotes = {
  \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
  \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
  \override Beam #'transparent = ##t
  \override Tie #'transparent = ##t
}

noblanknotes = {
  \revert NoteHead #'transparent
  \revert Stem #'transparent
  \revert Beam #'transparent
  \revert Tie #'transparent
}

% Here there's the sopranos' part. The secret is to give a name to each voice,
so that you can put the right lyrics
% in every place you need to without using a lot of rests or empty spaces.
soprani = \context Voice = soprani
  \relative c' {
      c2 d4 e
    % here the different lyrics start
      <<
      \context Voice = equal
      { f g b, }
      \\
      \context Voice = different
      { \blanknotes
        f' g b,
        \noblanknotes }

  | c1

    \context Lyrics = soprani {s1} % different lyrics will be at the top
    \new Staff \soprani
    \context Lyrics = sopranitwo \lyricsto soprani \lyricmode { This is not so
right? }
    % Since "difficult" must be aligned with the normal lyrics, you should use
the same lyrics context
    \context Lyrics = sopranitwo \lyricsto equal \lyricmode { dif -- fi --
cult, }

    % Here we put the "different" lyrics
    \context Lyrics = soprani \lyricsto different \lyricmode { real -- ly
hard, }

Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

Arvid Grotting
In article <[hidden email]>,
 "Gianluca D." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alle 23:06, venerdì 2 dicembre 2005, Ian Hawthorn ha scritto:
>
> > I can tell you that what you are asking is a hard problem, so don't get
> > your hopes up that there is an easy answer.
>
> The answer is quite easy, once you have learned to use the wonderful ability
> of Lilypond to merge different music expressions into one context.

There is another answer, too, almost as simple, for those of us that
like to keep the e.g. first tenor music within a single musical
expression:

- use "\skip 8" (or some other duration; it's not used within \lyricsto)
instead of "_" for the "blanks" in lyrics.

- to avoid wasting space in the first system, also "\override
Score.RemoveEmptyVerticalGroup #'remove-first = ##t".

When the amount of lyrics specific to a voice is very small, consider
not using \lyricsto (or \addlyrics) at all, and rather specify the
durations manually (\lyricmode{ \skip 1*15 Bee 4 Bop 8 }).

Example code: http://regina.uio.no/~arvidg/Norges_Fjeld.ly
Resulting PDF: http://regina.uio.no/~arvidg/Norges_Fjeld.pdf

Arvid

Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

Gianluca D. wrote:

>%% Here there are two definitions to make notes invisible in a comfortable way
>blanknotes = {
>  \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
>  \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
>  \override Beam #'transparent = ##t
>  \override Tie #'transparent = ##t
>}
>
>noblanknotes = {
>  \revert NoteHead #'transparent
>  \revert Stem #'transparent
>  \revert Beam #'transparent
>  \revert Tie #'transparent
>}

Why not use the predefined macros \hideNotes, \unHideNotes described
in the section on Hidden notes in the manual?

Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

Jonatan Liljedahl
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:26:41 +0100
Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gianluca D. wrote:

> >%% Here there are two definitions to make notes invisible in a
> >comfortable way blanknotes = {
> >  \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
> >  \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
> >  \override Beam #'transparent = ##t
> >  \override Tie #'transparent = ##t
> >}
> >
> >noblanknotes = {
> >  \revert NoteHead #'transparent
> >  \revert Stem #'transparent
> >  \revert Beam #'transparent
> >  \revert Tie #'transparent
> >}
> >

> Why not use the predefined macros \hideNotes, \unHideNotes described
> in the section on Hidden notes in the manual?

BTW, is there any place (doc or scm source) where one can see all those
predefined macros and commands?

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-

Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

Graham Percival-2

On 5-Dec-05, at 6:15 PM, Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:

> BTW, is there any place (doc or scm source) where one can see all those
> predefined macros and commands?

ly/property-init.ly