Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Raitis Veinbahs
Hi,

Here's the tiny showcase:

\version "2.19"

\book {
  \paper { page-breaking = #ly:one-page-breaking }
  \score { << \relative c { c } \chords { c } >> }
}

% lilypond --version
GNU LilyPond 2.19.80

Can you reproduce this?

---
Regards,
Raitis Veinbahs

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Thomas Scharkowski-2
Hi Raitis,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Thomas
-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Hi,
>
> Here's the tiny showcase:
>
> \version "2.19"
>
> \book {
>    \paper { page-breaking = #ly:one-page-breaking }
>    \score { << \relative c { c } \chords { c } >> }
> }
>
> % lilypond --version
> GNU LilyPond 2.19.80
>
> Can you reproduce this?
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Raitis Veinbahs

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Aaron Hill
On 2018-10-11 12:33 am, Raitis Veinbahs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's the tiny showcase:
>
> \version "2.19"
>
> \book {
>   \paper { page-breaking = #ly:one-page-breaking }
>   \score { << \relative c { c } \chords { c } >> }
> }
>
> % lilypond --version
> GNU LilyPond 2.19.80

Repros on 2.19.48 (lilybin.com)
Repros on 2.19.82 (local Linux 64 build)

Interestingly, PNG 200dpi cropped is 164x137069 but only 291KB.  Good
compression.  ;-)

-- Aaron Hill

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Raitis Veinbahs
Hi, (I remembered to press "reply to all" this time)
I thought this was pretty obvious if you try compiling this, but the
resulting PDF from the example is very long and it shouldn't be that way.

Fortunately it looks like Aaron managed to reproduce it.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thomas Scharkowski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Raitis,
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand your question.
>
> Thomas
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here's the tiny showcase:
> >
> > \version "2.19"
> >
> > \book {
> >    \paper { page-breaking = #ly:one-page-breaking }
> >    \score { << \relative c { c } \chords { c } >> }
> > }
> >
> > % lilypond --version
> > GNU LilyPond 2.19.80
> >
> > Can you reproduce this?
> >
> > ---
> > Regards,
> > Raitis Veinbahs

Raitis Veinbahs, +371 2236 4708

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Thomas Scharkowski
Could you specify "very long"?
LilyPond 2.19.82 on MacOS 10.14 produces a 37 KB pdf, which I would call
"quite short"
;-)
Thomas
------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Hi, (I remembered to press "reply to all" this time)
> I thought this was pretty obvious if you try compiling this, but the
> resulting PDF from the example is very long and it shouldn't be that way.
>
> Fortunately it looks like Aaron managed to reproduce it.
>
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thomas Scharkowski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Raitis,
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't understand your question.
>>
>> Thomas
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here's the tiny showcase:
>>>
>>> \version "2.19"
>>>
>>> \book {
>>>     \paper { page-breaking = #ly:one-page-breaking }
>>>     \score { << \relative c { c } \chords { c } >> }
>>> }
>>>
>>> % lilypond --version
>>> GNU LilyPond 2.19.80
>>>
>>> Can you reproduce this?
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Regards,
>>> Raitis Veinbahs

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Urs Liska-3

Am 11.10.2018 um 11:46 schrieb Thomas Scharkowski:
> Could you specify "very long"?
> LilyPond 2.19.82 on MacOS 10.14 produces a 37 KB pdf, which I would
> call "quite short"
> ;-)
> Thomas

210 × 17428 mm
on my computer. I would agree this is "long", especially given the
content ...

> ------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Hi, (I remembered to press "reply to all" this time)
>> I thought this was pretty obvious if you try compiling this, but the
>> resulting PDF from the example is very long and it shouldn't be that
>> way.
>>
>> Fortunately it looks like Aaron managed to reproduce it.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thomas Scharkowski
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Raitis,
>>>
>>> I'm afraid I don't understand your question.
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Torsten Hämmerle

Yes, with \chords (or \new ChordNames etc.) as last line the score, the PDF
page height will be 200 inches.

Aaron Hill wrote
> Interestingly, PNG 200dpi cropped is 164x137069 but only 291KB.  Good
> compression.  ;-)

/Off topic:/
That's the benefit of the PNG format for screenshots: uniformly coloured
areas will take up very little storage space and PNG is lossless. Like in
this case: "white all over" is far more economic that storing each and every
individual pixel. Even JPEG is inferior for screenshots because it has been
developed for photographs where you practically never have neighboring
pixels of exactly the same colour. Moreover, JPEG compression is anything
but lossless for screenshots with sharp contrasts and edges.

All the best,
Torsten

--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Bugs-f58488.html

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Raitis Veinbahs
I'm not talking about the literal size of the PDF, but when seen in a
viewer, of course. It's hella long, like 40 times its width or something.

% pdfinfo main.pdf
Creator:        LilyPond 2.19.80
Producer:       GPL Ghostscript 9.25
CreationDate:   Thu Oct 11 10:28:51 2018 EEST
Page size:      595.28 x 49401.7 pts
File size:      37554 bytes

It not only does it have two notes, but due to #ly:one-page-breaking it
should also adjust its height to the height of the content rather than
leave rest of the page blank.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM Urs Liska <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 11.10.2018 um 11:46 schrieb Thomas Scharkowski:
> > Could you specify "very long"?
> > LilyPond 2.19.82 on MacOS 10.14 produces a 37 KB pdf, which I would
> > call "quite short"
> > ;-)
> > Thomas
>
> 210 × 17428 mm
> on my computer. I would agree this is "long", especially given the
> content ...
>
> > ------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >> Hi, (I remembered to press "reply to all" this time)
> >> I thought this was pretty obvious if you try compiling this, but the
> >> resulting PDF from the example is very long and it shouldn't be that
> >> way.
> >>
> >> Fortunately it looks like Aaron managed to reproduce it.
> >>
> >> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thomas Scharkowski
> >> <[hidden email]>

Raitis Veinbahs, +371 2236 4708

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Aaron Hill
This appears to be due to an odd interaction between one-page-breaking
and the default staff-affinity for ChordNames (which is #DOWN).

Adding this to the \score fixes it:

%%%%
   \layout { \context { \ChordNames
     \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #UP } }
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Torsten Hämmerle
Urs Liska-3 wrote
> 210 × 17428 mm

That's interesting… On my computer (Windows 10 64 bit), Adobe Reader XI
shows 210 x 5.080 mm.
But that seems to be a limitation of the Adobe Reader.

Considering the PDF (tested with 2.19.55, 2.19.82, 2.21.0), it says
  <</Type/Page/MediaBox [0 0 595.28 49401.7]
And that, converted into millimetres, exactly matches the 17428 mm you
found.

In any case, the output page size is far too long and this is a bug of
#ly:one-page-breaking in combination with ChordNames at the end.

All the best,
Torsten

Am 11.10.2018 um 12:23 schrieb Torsten Hämmerle:

> Urs Liska-3 wrote
>> 210 × 17428 mm
>
> That's interesting… On my computer (Windows 10 64 bit), Adobe Reader XI
> shows 210 x 5.080 mm.
> But that seems to be a limitation of the Adobe Reader.
>
> Considering the PDF (tested with 2.19.55, 2.19.82, 2.21.0), it says
>    <</Type/Page/MediaBox [0 0 595.28 49401.7]
> And that, converted into millimetres, exactly matches the 17428 mm you
> found.
>
> In any case, the output page size is far too long and this is a bug of
> #ly:one-page-breaking in combination with ChordNames at the end.
>
> All the best,
> Torsten

What would be the remedy? A fix in the code to change the behaviour of
this specific combination? Or rather a "Known issue" addition to the NR?

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

Torsten Hämmerle
Urs Liska-3 wrote
> What would be the remedy? A fix in the code to change the behaviour of
> this specific combination? Or rather a "Known issue" addition to the NR?

Hmmm,

Given the fact that #ly:one-page-breaking is quite new (dating back to 2016)
and only part of the development versions of LilyPond, I'd very much prefer
to have the issue solved than just documenting the problem.

In a first step, the page-height is set to a maximum, and at the end,
page-height is set to the finale height of the score.
In case of ChordNames, however, it looks like a \vfill (speaking TeX)
between the last stave and the chord symbols filling up all the space.

Perhaps even Paul Morris, the developer of the one-page-breaking feature has
an idea.
In any case, creating an issue would be a good idea, and if there's no
solution, the issue can still be used for adding "Known issues and warnings"
to the NR.

All the best,
Torsten

--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Bugs-f58488.html

Re: Very long PDFs with 2.19.80, \chord and #ly:one-page-breaking

James Lowe-4
Hello,

On 11/10/18 12:49, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:

> Urs Liska-3 wrote
>> What would be the remedy? A fix in the code to change the behaviour of
>> this specific combination? Or rather a "Known issue" addition to the NR?
>
> Hmmm,
>
> Given the fact that #ly:one-page-breaking is quite new (dating back to 2016)
> and only part of the development versions of LilyPond, I'd very much prefer
> to have the issue solved than just documenting the problem.
>
> In a first step, the page-height is set to a maximum, and at the end,
> page-height is set to the finale height of the score.
> In case of ChordNames, however, it looks like a \vfill (speaking TeX)
> between the last stave and the chord symbols filling up all the space.
>
> Perhaps even Paul Morris, the developer of the one-page-breaking feature has
> an idea.
> In any case, creating an issue would be a good idea, and if there's no
> solution, the issue can still be used for adding "Known issues and warnings"
> to the NR.
If this is a bug then we don't 'document' them in Known Issues.

They get a tracker Item only.

James

Torsten Hämmerle <[hidden email]> writes:

> Even JPEG is inferior for screenshots because it has been developed
> for photographs where you practically never have neighboring pixels of
> exactly the same colour.

"Desktop Wallpaper".  "Translucent windows".  "Antialiased fonts".

> Moreover, JPEG compression is anything but lossless for screenshots
> with sharp contrasts and edges.

Who uses pixel fonts anymore?