Very large PS and PDF files created by 2.5 on SuSE 9.3

Very large PS and PDF files created by 2.5 on SuSE 9.3

Bugzilla from imruska@freemail.hu
Hello,

Since I also had problems with the Lilypond package of SuSE 9.3 (not
embedded ec-fonts) - though I think it is rather a tetex problem, as I
had the same problems with Lilypond 2.4.5 and 2.4.6 compiled from source
as well - I installed 2.5.30 and now the former problem has disappeared.
(Since, as I believe, 2.5.x does not use tetex any longer.)

Now, however, the size of the ps and pdf files are enormous.
A one-page choir score for 4 voices, produces a 1,0 MB ps and a 129,5 KB
pdf file, Lilypond 2.4.5 produced from the same source a 25,6 KB pdf
file (I did not keep the ps). More surprisingly, the pdf file can be
greatly compressed, with bzip2 I get a file size of 31,7 KB.
With another (4 page) score I also received a pdf of ca. 130 KB/page,
which I could zip to ca. 30-35 KB/page.

Which program is responsible for this? Lilypond 2.5; the Ghostscript
(8.15rc1) or the Pango (1.8.1) of the SuSE 9.3 distribution?

Pothárn Imre

Re: Very large PS and PDF files created by 2.5 on SuSE 9.3

Graham Percival

On 14-Jun-05, at 7:13 AM, Imruska wrote:
> Now, however, the size of the ps and pdf files are enormous.

Are you using point-and-click?  I believe that it's enabled by default.
  See
the docs on point-and-click on how to turn this off.

(point-and-click makes the pdf files much larger)

Re: Very large PS and PDF files created by 2.5 on SuSE 9.3

Bugzilla from imruska@freemail.hu

>> Now, however, the size of the ps and pdf files are enormous.
>
> Are you using point-and-click?  I believe that it's enabled by default.
> See the docs on point-and-click on how to turn this off.
>
> (point-and-click makes the pdf files much larger)

Thanks, this was the problem.

Pothárn Imre