Vertical space above ossia

wgarcia
I'm having trouble eliminating vertical space above an Ossia
snippet. This is the example of the manual, augmented to extend over
multiple lines:

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  <<
    { c4 b d c }

    \new Staff \with {

      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
    }
    { e4 d f e }

\break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

I had a demand to put the ossia closer to the below staff, and to
keep the distance between staffs the same.

Looking for old posts I found this one that claims to achieve this,
but it only solves the first demand with the padding property:

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Ossia-distance-unwanted-vertical-spacing-td206336.html

So this is how my snippet looks like with this:

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  <<
    { c4 b d c }

    \new Staff \with {

      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
(basic-distance . 0)
(minimum-distance . 0)
(padding . 1.5)
(stretchability . 90) )
    }
    { e4 d f e }

\break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

The vertical distance above the ossia I could not reduce no matter how
much I tweaked the numbers in the override, and so the distance
between the two lines with ossia in the middle is different from the
rest. I also tried "staff-staff-spacing" instead of
"default-staff-staff-spacing" but there is no change.

Is it possible to reduce the vertical distance above the ossia? I
gave up and ended up doing the ossia with music included in a markup,
for the markup I know how to tweak all vertical distances.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Re: Vertical space above ossia

SoundsFromSound
On 5/17/2018 2:01 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
I'm having trouble eliminating vertical space above an Ossia
snippet. This is the example of the manual, augmented to extend over
multiple lines:

The vertical distance above the ossia I could not reduce no matter how
much I tweaked the numbers in the override, and so the distance
between the two lines with ossia in the middle is different from the
rest. I also tried "staff-staff-spacing" instead of
"default-staff-staff-spacing" but there is no change.

Is it possible to reduce the vertical distance above the ossia? I
gave up and ended up doing the ossia with music included in a markup,
for the markup I know how to tweak all vertical distances.

Hello,

You could always try to approach from the paper block? :) Does that work for your needs?
i.e. #'((basic-distance . 10)

(see attached)

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  <<
    { c4 b d c }

    \new Staff \with {

      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
(basic-distance . 0)
(minimum-distance . 0)
(padding . 1.5)
(stretchability . 90) )
    }
    { e4 d f e }

\break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

\paper {
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 10)
       (minimum-distance . 1)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 6))

paper.png (22K) Download Attachment
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Vertical space above ossia

wgarcia
* Ben, [hidden email] [17/05/18 12:05]:
> On 5/17/2018 2:01 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> > I'm having trouble eliminating vertical space above an Ossia
> > snippet. This is the example of the manual, augmented to extend over
> > multiple lines:

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  <<
    { c4 b d c }

    \new Staff \with {
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
(basic-distance . 0)
(minimum-distance . 0)
(padding . 1.5)
(stretchability . 90) )
    }
    { e4 d f e }

\break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

> > The vertical distance above the ossia I could not reduce no matter how
> > much I tweaked the numbers in the override, and so the distance
> > between the two lines with ossia in the middle is different from the
> > rest. I also tried "staff-staff-spacing" instead of
> > "default-staff-staff-spacing" but there is no change.
> >
> > Is it possible to reduce the vertical distance above the ossia? I
> > gave up and ended up doing the ossia with music included in a markup,
> > for the markup I know how to tweak all vertical distances.
> >
> You could always try to approach from the paper block? :) Does that work for
> your needs?

[snippet erased]

> \paper {
>   system-system-spacing =
>     #'((basic-distance . 10)
>        (minimum-distance . 1)
>        (padding . 1)
>        (stretchability . 6))
> }

The problem is that the vertical distance between line 1 and 2 is larger than
between lines 2 and 3. I would like it to be equal for all lines. I
can achieve  this with the "markup" below, but not with the way the
manual suggests to do "ossia":

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
c4 b d c c^\markup {
    \score {
    \new Staff \with {
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
    }

  \relative c''  { e4 d f e  \bar "|"}
  \layout { }
\repeat unfold 2 {  c4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c} \break
  c4 b c2

Walter Garcia-Fontes
mailto: [hidden email] - http://puna.upf.edu
Departament d'Economia i Empresa - http://www.econ.upf.edu
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Ramon Trias Fargas 25-27, 08005 Barcelona, Spain
Tel. +34 93 542 2722 - Fax. +34 93 542 1746

On 5/17/2018 9:34 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
[...]

I'm confused...in that case, along with my paper block suggestion, couldn't you just tweak the

  \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
(basic-distance . 6)
(minimum-distance . 0)
(padding . 1.5)
(stretchability . 90) )

to get the general spacing you wish? Both blocks together should be what you want. No?

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Vertical space above ossia

wgarcia
* Ben, [hidden email] [17/05/18 15:52]:

> On 5/17/2018 9:34 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> > * Ben, [hidden email] [17/05/18 12:05]:
> > > >
> > \version "2.19.32"
> >

> > \new Staff = "main" \relative {
> > \repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
> > \repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
> >    <<
> >      { c4 b d c }
> >
> >      \new Staff \with {
> >        \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
> >        alignAboveContext = #"main"
> >        \magnifyStaff #2/3
> >        firstClef = ##f
> >       \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
> > (basic-distance . 0)
> > (minimum-distance . 0)
> > (padding . 1.5)
> > (stretchability . 90) )
> >      }
> >      { e4 d f e }
> >    >>
> > \break
> > \repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
> >    c4 b c2
> > }

> > > You could always try to approach from the paper block? :) Does that work for
> > > your needs?
> > [snippet erased]
> >
> > > \paper {
> > >    system-system-spacing =
> > >      #'((basic-distance . 10)
> > >         (minimum-distance . 1)
> > >         (padding . 1)
> > >         (stretchability . 6))
> > > }
> > >
> > The problem is that the vertical distance between line 1 and 2 is larger than
> > between lines 2 and 3. I would like it to be equal for all lines. I
> > can achieve  this with the "markup" below, but not with the way the
> > manual suggests to do "ossia":
> >
> > \version "2.19.32"
> >

> > \new Staff = "main" \relative {
> > \repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
> > c4 b d c c^\markup {
> >      \score {
> >      \new Staff \with {
> >        \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
> >        alignAboveContext = #"main"
> >        \magnifyStaff #2/3
> >        firstClef = ##f
> >      }
> >    \relative c''  { e4 d f e  \bar "|"}
> >    \layout { }
> >   }
> > }
> > \repeat unfold 2 {  c4 b d c} \break
> > \repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c} \break
> > \repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c} \break
> >    c4 b c2
> > }
> >

> I'm confused...in that case, along with my paper block suggestion, couldn't
> you just tweak the
>
>   \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
> (basic-distance . 6)
> (minimum-distance . 0)
> (padding . 1.5)
> (stretchability . 90) )
>
> to get the general spacing you wish? Both blocks together should be what you
> want. No?

Thanks Ben,

This is exactly what I try in my snippet. I've also tried to put the
override in the general score and in the paper block, but those lines
refuse to get closer no matter what I try.

On 5/17/2018 10:13 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
[...]

(see attached) :)

Oh, now I understand. Then just do this:

  \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing =

%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 12 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 12 {  c4 b d c}
  <<
    { c4 b d c }

    \new Staff \with {

      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing =
    #'(
        (basic-distance . 0)
        (minimum-distance . 0)
        (padding . .5)
        (stretchability . 90)
        )
    }
    { e4 d f e }

\break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

\paper {
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 12)
       (minimum-distance . 1)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 6))

ossiaclose.png (39K) Download Attachment
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Vertical space above ossia

wgarcia
* Ben, [hidden email] [17/05/18 16:39]:

> On 5/17/2018 10:13 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> > * Ben, [hidden email] [17/05/18 15:52]:

> > Thanks Ben,
> >
> > This is exactly what I try in my snippet. I've also tried to put the
> > override in the general score and in the paper block, but those lines
> > refuse to get closer no matter what I try.
> >

> (see attached) :)
>
> Oh, now I understand. Then just do this:
>
>   \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing =
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.19.32"
>
> \new Staff = "main" \relative {
> \repeat unfold 12 {  c''4 b d c} \break
> \repeat unfold 12 {  c4 b d c}
>   <<
>     { c4 b d c }
>
>     \new Staff \with {
>
>       \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>       alignAboveContext = #"main"
>       \magnifyStaff #2/3
>       firstClef = ##f
>     \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing =
>     #'(
>         (basic-distance . 0)
>         (minimum-distance . 0)
>         (padding . .5)
>         (stretchability . 90)
>         )
>     }
>     { e4 d f e }
>   >>
> \break
> \repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
>   c4 b c2
> }
>
> \paper {
>   system-system-spacing =
>     #'((basic-distance . 12)
>        (minimum-distance . 1)
>        (padding . 1)
>        (stretchability . 6))
> }

Thanks, that looks better. There is still in my opinion too much space
above the ossia, and if you want to make the staffs equally space,
this imposes a large space between them.

Is it impossible to tweak the vertical space above the ossia at all?

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Re: Vertical space above ossia

wgarcia
Sorry Ben, I answer with a photo. Actually the demand is
both, to make the ossia closer to the below staff, and to reduce the
distance with the above staff. But there is an unbreakable space above
the ossia it seems, so the most it can be done is to increase the
space between all staffs in the score to make them equally spaced, but
this cannot be reduced beyond some point.

This can be easily done using a markup instead the ossia code of the
manual, as I said in one of my posts. I attach what I achieve with the
markup, but can't achieve with the actual ossia code. This is the code
for the attached:

[...]

Walter

* Ben, [hidden email] [17/05/18 16:54]:

mwe3.pdf (65K) Download Attachment

Re: Vertical space above ossia

SoundsFromSound

In your original post, you mentioned that you wanted the ossia closer to the below-staff, which the code earlier should help with.

If you are talking about explicitly positioning a single staff in addition to that, maybe you could try something from:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/explicit-staff-and-system-positioning

\overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
            #'((Y-offset . 0))

etc.

Does that help? Do you have a photo showing the exact visual output you're after?

On 5/17/2018 10:51 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
[...]

* Ben, [hidden email] [17/05/18 17:04]:

> In your original post, you mentioned that you wanted the ossia closer to the
> below-staff, which the code earlier should help with.
>
> If you are talking about explicitly positioning a single staff in addition
> to that, maybe you could try something from:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/explicit-staff-and-system-positioning
>

> \overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
>             #'((Y-offset . 0))

I actually tried this one too, but I can't move the two staffs with
the ossia in the middle closer using this tweak.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Re: Vertical space above ossia

Carl Sorensen-3

From: Ben <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
To: <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Vertical space above ossia

On 5/17/2018 10:13 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:

But notice that there is additional space between the 3rd line of the score and the fourth line of the score (to make room for the ossia).

I think that to get the spacing Walter wants, using a markup for the ossia is the correct solution.

HTH,

Carl

From: Ben [hidden email]
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
To: [hidden email]

On 5/17/2018 10:13 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:

But notice that there is additional space between the 3rd line of the score and the fourth line of the score (to make room for the ossia).

I think that to get the spacing Walter wants, using a markup for the ossia is the correct solution.

HTH,

Carl

Looks that way, yes.

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Vertical space above ossia

wgarcia
Thanks Carl and Ben for your suggestions. Let me provide a summary so
far, since the discussion was a little messy. So we start from the
example provided for a single ossia, with more code to have the score
extend over multiple lines:

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main" \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  <<
    { c4 b d c }

    \new Staff \with {

      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
    }
    { e4 d f e }

\break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

This produces the attached "mwe1.pdf". I would like to bring the ossia
closer to the below staff, and to have the staff lines equally spaced
in the score. Bringing the ossia closer to the below line can be
achieved by the "padding" property in the following tweak which has to
be added inside of the "with" in the "\new Staff" of the ossia:

\override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing = #'(
(basic-distance . 0)
(minimum-distance . 0)
(padding . 1.5)
(stretchability . 90) )

This produces "mwe2.pdf" attached. The space above the ossia cannot be
reduced by tweaking the properties of the override. Neither can it be
reduced by using the following property:
\overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
            #'((Y-offset . 0))

So one possibility is to add a general \paper block and spacing the
lines in the score more equally spaced, for instance:

\paper {
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 0)
       (minimum-distance . 4)
       (padding . 4)
       (stretchability . 10))
}

This produces "mwe3.pdf", where the distance between lines 1 and 2 has
been slightly reduced. But the space above the ossia cannot be reduced
completely. If the lines have to be really equally spaced, the only way is to do
the ossia with music inside a markup:

\version "2.19.32"

\new Staff = "main"  \relative {
\repeat unfold 4 {  c''4 b d c} \break
\repeat unfold 4 {  c4 b d c} \break
    c4 b d c^\markup{
    \score {
    \new Staff \with {
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      alignAboveContext = #"main"
      \magnifyStaff #2/3
      firstClef = ##f
      }
  \relative c''  { e4 d f e  \bar "|"}
  \layout { }
\repeat unfold 2 {  c4 b d c}
  c4 b c2
}

\paper {
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 10)
       (minimum-distance . 1)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 6))
}

This one produces "mwe4.pdf".

So this would close this thread unless anybody has a better
suggestion.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

mwe1.pdf (62K) Download Attachment
mwe2.pdf (62K) Download Attachment
mwe3.pdf (62K) Download Attachment
mwe4.pdf (60K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: Vertical space above ossia

Mats Bengtsson-4

On 2018-05-18 09:43, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> Thanks Carl and Ben for your suggestions. Let me provide a summary so
> far, since the discussion was a little messy. So we start from the
> example provided for a single ossia, with more code to have the score
> extend over multiple lines:
>
> So this would close this thread unless anybody has a better
> suggestion.
Shouldn't it be possible to set the Y-extent of the ossia staff to zero?
I made some attempts, but it didn't work as I expected. Perhaps somebody
else is more successful.

Re: Vertical space above ossia

wgarcia
* Mats Bengtsson, [hidden email] [18/05/18 16:43]:

> On 2018-05-18 09:43, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> > Thanks Carl and Ben for your suggestions. Let me provide a summary so
> > far, since the discussion was a little messy. So we start from the
> > example provided for a single ossia, with more code to have the score
> > extend over multiple lines:
> >
> > So this would close this thread unless anybody has a better
> > suggestion.
> Shouldn't it be possible to set the Y-extent of the ossia staff to zero? I
> made some attempts, but it didn't work as I expected. Perhaps somebody else
> is more successful.

Did you try:

\overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
            #'((Y-offset . 0))

or something else?

I tried the above in all possible places in the snippet, and I could
move up the line below the one with the ossia, but not the one with
the ossia.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat