Verifying fixes?

Carl Sorensen-3
As I was reviewing Jonas's test review environment on GitLab, I noticed that there were tons of closed issues that had not been verified.

I went back and looked on SourceForge, and found that we have 587 issues that are listed with status of Fixed and do not have the label Fixed_2_21_1 (which has not yet been released, so they cannot be verified).

I think our long delay between releases as we worked out the bugs in our release system got us out of the habit of Verifying the fixes.

Do you believe we should Verify the fixes, or should we just leave the issues closed without verification?  I'm willing to spend some time doing the verification, if we think it's valuable to do so.

Thanks,

Carl

Re: Verifying fixes?

Valentin Villenave-3
On Thursday, April 23, 2020, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:.

> Do you believe we should Verify the fixes, or should we just leave the
> issues closed without verification?  I'm willing to spend some time doing
> the verification, if we think it's valuable to do so.

I'm available to help with that as well. (Yay, only 230 issues each! Unless
Simon, Harm, James or anyone else wants to join in? :-)

V.

Re: Verifying fixes?

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Donnerstag, den 23.04.2020, 17:26 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> As I was reviewing Jonas's test review environment on GitLab, I noticed that there were tons of closed issues that had not been verified.
>
> I went back and looked on SourceForge, and found that we have 587 issues that are listed with status of Fixed and do not have the label Fixed_2_21_1 (which has not yet been released, so they cannot be verified).
>
> I think our long delay between releases as we worked out the bugs in our release system got us out of the habit of Verifying the fixes.
>
> Do you believe we should Verify the fixes, or should we just leave the issues closed without verification?  I'm willing to spend some time doing the verification, if we think it's valuable to do so.

So what does "Verify" mean, making sure that the bug is indeed fixed?
(I can't imagine how this makes sense for patches.)

Jonas

Re: Verifying fixes?

Carl Sorensen-3

´╗┐On 4/23/20, 12:11 PM, "Jonas Hahnfeld" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 23.04.2020, 17:26 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> As I was reviewing Jonas's test review environment on GitLab, I noticed that there were tons of closed issues that had not been verified.
>
> I went back and looked on SourceForge, and found that we have 587 issues that are listed with status of Fixed and do not have the label Fixed_2_21_1 (which has not yet been released, so they cannot be verified).
>
> I think our long delay between releases as we worked out the bugs in our release system got us out of the habit of Verifying the fixes.
>
> Do you believe we should Verify the fixes, or should we just leave the issues closed without verification?  I'm willing to spend some time doing the verification, if we think it's valuable to do so.

So what does "Verify" mean, making sure that the bug is indeed fixed?
(I can't imagine how this makes sense for patches.)

CDS-> It means making sure that the commit is in fact in the commit history of the listed version.  And it's also a good idea to check the regression tests.  See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/bug-squad-checklists under "Regular maintenance".

CDS-> I'm not sure that we need to continue to do this, but we do have that as part of our process.  That's why I asked.

Carl

Re: Verifying fixes?

James Lowe-9
On 23/04/2020 18:32, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Thursday, April 23, 2020, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:.
>> Do you believe we should Verify the fixes, or should we just leave the
>> issues closed without verification?  I'm willing to spend some time doing
>> the verification, if we think it's valuable to do so.
>>
> I'm available to help with that as well. (Yay, only 230 issues each! Unless
> Simon, Harm, James or anyone else wants to join in? :-)
>
> V.

I will be available to help with this if needed on Saturday/Sunday.

I assume that the CG documented steps are all that I need to refer to?

James