Using various weights and widths of fonts

Using various weights and widths of fonts

Joshua Nichols
Hello all!

I am trying to use different variants of Garamond Premier, especially the Display weight and Narrow Widths. at any moment's notice. I seem to be able to do it for some of them, but not others. In particular, I'll use the narrow variant of Minion Pro for lyrics by calling:

\override LyricFont.font-name = "Minion Pro Cond"

in \layout{}. But, when I want to change just a single instance of the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.

I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank you in advance.

--
Josh

Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

Joshua Nichols
I guess it would be helpful that when I try to call:

\override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display")

I cannot get the override, and thus the font reverts to sans. I have the font installed on my system, so I know it's not an issue of the font being installed. Perhaps this helps.

--
Josh

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Joshua Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all!

I am trying to use different variants of Garamond Premier, especially the Display weight and Narrow Widths. at any moment's notice. I seem to be able to do it for some of them, but not others. In particular, I'll use the narrow variant of Minion Pro for lyrics by calling:

\override LyricFont.font-name = "Minion Pro Cond"

in \layout{}. But, when I want to change just a single instance of the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.

I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank you in advance.

--
Josh

Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

SoundsFromSound
On 11/2/2018 9:50 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:
[...]

You could use this technique perhaps...

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/change-the-font-for-all-markups-td171730.html

Depends I guess on how you setup your document fonts and how many markups you are wishing to change (all/one)...

Does this help?

composer | sound designer | asmr artist

[...]

For example,

c1^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "Minion Pro") "hello" } c c

Is this what you are looking for? :)
(see attached)

font.png (10K) Download Attachment

On 11/2/2018 9:40 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:

But, when I want to change just a single instance of the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.

I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank you in advance.

No need to eat your shoe ;)

{
 c1^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "Minion Pro") "hello" } c
c^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "InformalRoman") "hello" }
c c^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "Raleway") "hello" } c
}

Hope this helps you.

markups.png (14K) Download Attachment
composer | sound designer | asmr artist