Using chord names instead of ^"name" in the music

Using chord names instead of ^"name" in the music

Stephen Torri
I was told to consider using chord names instead of using the ^"name"
notation as a part of the music. For example:

                        % Am (measure 1)
                        d'4^"Am" a' f' d |

                        % Am Bflat (measure 2)
                        a2
                        <f a d f>2\arpeggio^"Bis" |

Now I have a problem with the above music. How do I tell lilypond to
give me a B with a flat symbol above the second half of the second
measure. After reading the documentation I got the impression the chord
names allowed me to print out chords on sheet music. I don't need the
note only the name. Does this make sense?

Stephen

Re: Using chord names instead of ^"name" in the music

Riccardo Cohen
to print chord name only, see :
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/A-lead-sheet.html#A-lead-sheet
(the last sample)

and  the source at :
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/lily-202315302.ly

Stephen Torri wrote:

> I was told to consider using chord names instead of using the ^"name"
> notation as a part of the music. For example:
>
>                         % Am (measure 1)
>                         d'4^"Am" a' f' d |
>
>                         % Am Bflat (measure 2)
>                         a2
>                         <f a d f>2\arpeggio^"Bis" |
>
> Now I have a problem with the above music. How do I tell lilypond to
> give me a B with a flat symbol above the second half of the second
> measure. After reading the documentation I got the impression the chord
> names allowed me to print out chords on sheet music. I don't need the
> note only the name. Does this make sense?
>
> Stephen

Riccardo Cohen

Articque
Les Roches
37230 Fondettes
France
web = http://www.articque.com
tel: +33 02 47 49 90 49
fax: +33 02 47 49 91 49

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 17:49 -0800, Kenneth Teh wrote:
> What you typically do is write something like
>
> changes = \chordmode {
>     a1:m |
>     s2 bes |
> }

I did the following:

harmonies = \chordmode { a1:m | a2:m bes | c1 | a1:m | f | e | f | c2
d:m | a1:m | a2:m g:m | f1 | c | a/cis | d:m | a:m | g | a:m | d2:m g |
a1:m }

> Btw, the s2 bes will do exactly what you want, skip 2
> beats and write the chord name on the 3rd beat.  If
> you want the A minor to extend into the second
> measure, you will have to repeat the chord or tie it.
> The ChordNames context has a flag #chordChanges which
> you can set to ##t so that it will suppress repeated
> chords from being printed.

Are you sure about the number values? I ask because I used the number
values after the chord character 'a1' to indicate its a whole measure
and 'a2' to indicate a half measure and got the results I wanted.

Aside on the slur how do you slur chord names? For example how do I get
away with no repeating the Am chord in the second measure.

Stephen