Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

pablocordal
Hi,

I'm doing the easy first test with this issue. I created a file a.ly and put it in c:

When I run the command prompt lilypond doesn't find the file (I attach the results).

Anybody knows what am I doing wrong?

Regards
Pablo

first test.jpg (580K) Download Attachment

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

Francisco Vila
El 19/3/20 a las 19:07, Pablo Cordal escribió:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm doing the easy first test with this issue. I created a file a.ly
 > <http://a.ly> and put it in c:
 >
 > When I run the command prompt lilypond doesn't find the file (I attach
 > the results).
 >
 > Anybody knows what am I doing wrong?
 >
 > Regards
 > Pablo

It's easier if you put the file in c:\Users\ana

and then just

C:\Users\ana> lilypond a.ly

because all the fuss with slashes, escaping and folders are a source of
problems.

maybe c: should be C: instead, for example. I don't know

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

pablocordal
Hi folks,

I just copied the file in C:\Users\ana and lilypond found the file, started to compile it... and returned an error. I attach image and the a.ly file. I compile the a.ly inside Frescobaldi with no problems.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Pablo

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 19:48, Francisco Vila (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
El 19/3/20 a las 19:07, Pablo Cordal escribió:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm doing the easy first test with this issue. I created a file a.ly
 > <http://a.ly> and put it in c:
 >
 > When I run the command prompt lilypond doesn't find the file (I attach
 > the results).
 >
 > Anybody knows what am I doing wrong?
 >
 > Regards
 > Pablo

It's easier if you put the file in c:\Users\ana

and then just

C:\Users\ana> lilypond a.ly

because all the fuss with slashes, escaping and folders are a source of
problems.

maybe c: should be C: instead, for example. I don't know

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es

second test.jpg (445K) Download Attachment
a.ly (680 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

m.tarenskeen

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Pablo Cordal wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I just copied the file in C:\Users\ana and lilypond found the file, started to compile it... and returned an error. I attach image and the a.ly file. I compile the
> a.ly inside Frescobaldi with no problems.

What happens if you compile a minimal example with only

\version "2.18.2"
{ c' }

in it?

What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84

MT

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno gio 19 mar 2020 alle 21:36, Martin Tarenskeen
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Pablo Cordal wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I just copied the file in C:\Users\ana and lilypond found the file,
>> started to compile it... and returned an error. I attach image and
>> the a.ly file. I compile the
>> a.ly inside Frescobaldi with no problems.
>
> What happens if you compile a minimal example with only
>
> \version "2.18.2"
> { c' }
>
> in it?
>
> What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84

Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?
http://lilypond.org/windows.html

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

pablocordal
No luck, with a simple a.ly I get the same error : (

<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Pablo Cordal wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I just copied the file in C:\Users\ana and lilypond found the file,
>> started to compile it... and returned an error. I attach image and
>> the a.ly file. I compile the
>> a.ly inside Frescobaldi with no problems.
>
> What happens if you compile a minimal example with only
>
> \version "2.18.2"
> { c' }
>
> in it?
>
> What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84

Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?
http://lilypond.org/windows.html

3 test.jpg (502K) Download Attachment

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

Kevin Barry
Is it possible that this is some kind of 32bit vs 64bit problem?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 21:06, Pablo Cordal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No luck, with a simple a.ly I get the same error : (
>
> El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 21:53, Federico Bruni (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>

>> Il giorno gio 19 mar 2020 alle 21:36, Martin Tarenskeen
>> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>> > What happens if you compile a minimal example with only
>> >
>> > \version "2.18.2"
>> > { c' }
>> >
>> > in it?
>> >
>> > What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84
>> >

>> Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?
>> http://lilypond.org/windows.html

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

pablocordal
I don't think so, because I compile a.ly from Frescobaldi with no problem (it uses the same lilypond.exe than the command line). Now I'm installing 2.20.0 version of lilypond, when it's ready I'll comment the results.

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 22:24, Kevin Barry (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Is it possible that this is some kind of 32bit vs 64bit problem?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 21:06, Pablo Cordal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No luck, with a simple a.ly I get the same error : (
>
> El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 21:53, Federico Bruni (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>

>> Il giorno gio 19 mar 2020 alle 21:36, Martin Tarenskeen
>> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>> > What happens if you compile a minimal example with only
>> >
>> > \version "2.18.2"
>> > { c' }
>> >
>> > in it?
>> >
>> > What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84
>> >

>> Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?
>> http://lilypond.org/windows.html

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

Urs Liska-3
Am Donnerstag, den 19.03.2020, 22:30 +0100 schrieb Pablo Cordal:
I don't think so, because I compile a.ly from Frescobaldi with no problem (it uses the same lilypond.exe than the command line). Now I'm installing 2.20.0 version of lilypond, when it's ready I'll comment the results.

Is it possible that there is an issue with encoding? Since we can see the scrambled quotation marks in the output? I don't see why this should be the case, but it's at least an observation.

Urs

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 22:24, Kevin Barry (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Is it possible that this is some kind of 32bit vs 64bit problem?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 21:06, Pablo Cordal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No luck, with a simple a.ly I get the same error : (
>
> El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 21:53, Federico Bruni (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>

>> Il giorno gio 19 mar 2020 alle 21:36, Martin Tarenskeen
>> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>> > What happens if you compile a minimal example with only
>> >
>> > \version "2.18.2"
>> > { c' }
>> >
>> > in it?
>> >
>> > What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84
>> >

>> Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?
>> http://lilypond.org/windows.html

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

pablocordal
Yes, I noticed that too. In the text "file not found...." some strange symbols appear... if that's the problem... men, I have no idea how to fix it!

Now I'm trying to add the 2.20.0 new installation to the windows path, cause now when I write "lilypond a.ly" in the command line I get an error "lilypond is not a commmand,....."

When I fix this I'll test with a.ly and comment the results.

Cheers
Pablo

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 22:30, Urs Liska (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Am Donnerstag, den 19.03.2020, 22:30 +0100 schrieb Pablo Cordal:
I don't think so, because I compile a.ly from Frescobaldi with no problem (it uses the same lilypond.exe than the command line). Now I'm installing 2.20.0 version of lilypond, when it's ready I'll comment the results.

Is it possible that there is an issue with encoding? Since we can see the scrambled quotation marks in the output? I don't see why this should be the case, but it's at least an observation.

Urs

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 22:24, Kevin Barry (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Is it possible that this is some kind of 32bit vs 64bit problem?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 21:06, Pablo Cordal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No luck, with a simple a.ly I get the same error : (
>
> El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 21:53, Federico Bruni (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>

>> Il giorno gio 19 mar 2020 alle 21:36, Martin Tarenskeen
>> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>> > What happens if you compile a minimal example with only
>> >
>> > \version "2.18.2"
>> > { c' }
>> >
>> > in it?
>> >
>> > What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84
>> >

>> Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?
>> http://lilypond.org/windows.html

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

pablocordal
Ok, finally the command line test worked perfect!  (the problem was the lilypond version). With 2.20.0 I execute from the command line and I get a pdf and a midi file.

Thank you all. Best regards
Pablo

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 23:19, Pablo Cordal (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Yes, I noticed that too. In the text "file not found...." some strange symbols appear... if that's the problem... men, I have no idea how to fix it!

Now I'm trying to add the 2.20.0 new installation to the windows path, cause now when I write "lilypond a.ly" in the command line I get an error "lilypond is not a commmand,....."

When I fix this I'll test with a.ly and comment the results.

Cheers
Pablo

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 22:30, Urs Liska (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Am Donnerstag, den 19.03.2020, 22:30 +0100 schrieb Pablo Cordal:
I don't think so, because I compile a.ly from Frescobaldi with no problem (it uses the same lilypond.exe than the command line). Now I'm installing 2.20.0 version of lilypond, when it's ready I'll comment the results.

Is it possible that there is an issue with encoding? Since we can see the scrambled quotation marks in the output? I don't see why this should be the case, but it's at least an observation.

Urs

El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 22:24, Kevin Barry (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Is it possible that this is some kind of 32bit vs 64bit problem?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 21:06, Pablo Cordal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No luck, with a simple a.ly I get the same error : (
>
> El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 21:53, Federico Bruni (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>

>> Il giorno gio 19 mar 2020 alle 21:36, Martin Tarenskeen
>> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>> > What happens if you compile a minimal example with only
>> >
>> > \version "2.18.2"
>> > { c' }
>> >
>> > in it?
>> >
>> > What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84
>> >

>> Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?
>> http://lilypond.org/windows.html

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

m.tarenskeen

> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>  What happens if you use Lilypond 2.19.84

> Why you don't suggest 2.20 (new stable)?

I am slow ... I hadn't noticed 2.20 has been released already ...
Thanks for the reminder :-)

MT

Re: Using Frescobaldi compile functionality - first test failed

David Wright
On Thu 19 Mar 2020 at 23:19:07 (+0100), Pablo Cordal wrote:
> Yes, I noticed that too. In the text "file not found...." some strange
> symbols appear... if that's the problem... men, I have no idea how to fix
> it!

That looks as if you're running a system in ISO Latin-1 but LilyPond
is outputting in Unicode UTF-8. Translating,

Unicode    char   UTF-8   Latin-1 given
code point        bytes   by those bytes

U+00E1     á      C3 A1   á
U+00FA     ú      C3 BA   ú
U+00AB     «      C2 AB   «

According to other threads here, you're wise to avoid using non-ASCII
in file *names* for LilyPond, ie avoid using names like música.ly.

> El jue., 19 mar. 2020 a las 22:30, Urs Liska (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
> > Is it possible that there is an issue with encoding? Since we can see the
> > scrambled quotation marks in the output? I don't see why this should be the
> > case, but it's at least an observation.

Having odd characters appear in your log/on the console should
not be problem, just ugly. I don't know enough about Windows
to suggest a fix. Can you set different code pages in the
Control Panel? In any case, I see a lot of UTF-16 coming out of
Windows.

Cheers,
David.