Usage of new installer for Mac OS

Walter Hofmeister
The new installer for Mac OS is great and I have it working from the
terminal just fine, but one question to the Brain Trust here, how does one
use Lilypond-book or convert-ly, and all of the other goodies? I have
installed the lilypond.sh script into sw/bin/ and when I want to run
lilypond I type "lilypond.sh somefile.ly" and this seems to work fine, but I
can't see a way to run the other features. What am I missing? Thanks.

Walter Hofmeister

Re: Usage of new installer for Mac OS

Stan Sanderson

On Jun 3, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Walter Hofmeister wrote:

> The new installer for Mac OS is great and I have it working from the
> terminal just fine, but one question to the Brain Trust here, how does
> one
> use Lilypond-book or convert-ly, and all of the other goodies? I have
> installed the lilypond.sh script into sw/bin/ and when I want to run
> lilypond I type "lilypond.sh somefile.ly" and this seems to work fine,
> but I
> can't see a way to run the other features. What am I missing? Thanks.
>
> Walter Hofmeister

 From the LilyPond developer's list, integrating convert-ly with the
LilyPond.app is on the "to-do" list. For now, using convert-ly from the
Fink-installed 2.5.22 or 2.5.23 works fine.

Stan

Re: Usage of new installer for Mac OS

andrea valle
I am not succeeding in using lilypond.app  (2.5.26) from commanline
(macosx 10.3.8).
It's probably somenting obvious I don't know of command line usage.
So please pardon me.

I put the lilypond.sh in /sw/bin

and then run the line
apples-Computer:~ apple$ lilypond.sh  /Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly

I obtain:
-bash: /sw/bin/lilypond.sh: Permission denied

What does it mean and what I have I to do in order to remove the
problem?

Thanks a lot

  best

-a-

On 3 Jun 2005, at 19:26, Walter Hofmeister wrote:

> The new installer for Mac OS is great and I have it working from the
> terminal just fine, but one question to the Brain Trust here, how does
> one
> use Lilypond-book or convert-ly, and all of the other goodies? I have
> installed the lilypond.sh script into sw/bin/ and when I want to run
> lilypond I type "lilypond.sh somefile.ly" and this seems to work fine,
> but I
> can't see a way to run the other features. What am I missing? Thanks.
>
> Walter Hofmeister

Andrea Valle
Laboratorio multimediale "G. Quazza"
Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino

Re: Usage of new installer for Mac OS

Graham Percival

On 3-Jun-05, at 3:08 PM, andrea valle wrote:
> I obtain:
> -bash: /sw/bin/lilypond.sh: Permission denied

You probably need to do
chmod a+x /sw/bin/lilypond.sh

If that doesn't work, then do
ls -l /sw/bin/lilypond.sh

and report the results.

Re: Usage of new installer for Mac OS

andrea valle
Thanks, chmod worked (what does it mean?).

If I run:
lilypond.sh --png /Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly

I obtain
Converting to `test.pdf'...
Converting to PNG...
`lilypond-ps2png --resolution=90 --papersize="a6" "test.ps"' failed
(32256)
error: failed files: "/Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly"
LilyPond exited with status 1Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/script", line
108, in ?
     os.unlink (a + '.ps')
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '--png.ps'

Asking for the help  (lilypond.sh -h) I thought that png was possible

Is it on the to do list or have I made a mistake?

Thanks

Best

-a-

On 3-Jun-05, at 5:18 PM, andrea valle wrote:

> Thanks, chmod worked (what does it mean?).

It changes the permissions.  I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.
  :)

To see help for any commands in the terminal (or "unix shell"),
type "man COMMAND".  For example, "man chmod".

> Asking for the help  (lilypond.sh -h) I thought that png was possible
>
> Is it on the to do list or have I made a mistake?

png _is_ possible; I just tested it on my .27 system (compiled from
CVS, not the standalone app), and it worked.  I don't
know what happened.  It might be a packaging thing.