Updating makeinfo

Phil Holmes-3
I've not used my Ubuntu 14 lilypond computer for a while, and I'm now trying
to help update the example images on the website.  If I run configure I'm
being told my makeinfo is too old - I've got 5.2 and it requires 6.1.  I
can't run the GUI updater because it just tells me there's an update to
Ubuntu 16 and if I don't upgrade, but just click OK it exits.  If I run sudo
apt-get install texinfo it tells me I have the latest version.  If I
download the texinfo 6.1 tarball, extract it, and run configure. make and
make install it does stuff, but makeinfo --version from my build directory
still say I have 5.2.

Anyone with any suggestions for getting and installing 6.1?

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Updating makeinfo

Werner LEMBERG

> I've not used my Ubuntu 14 lilypond computer for a while, and I'm
> now trying to help update the example images on the website.  If I
> run configure I'm being told my makeinfo is too old - I've got 5.2
> and it requires 6.1.  I can't run the GUI updater because it just
> tells me there's an update to Ubuntu 16 and if I don't upgrade, but
> just click OK it exits.  If I run sudo apt-get install texinfo it
> tells me I have the latest version.  If I download the texinfo 6.1
> tarball, extract it, and run configure. make and make install it
> does stuff, but makeinfo --version from my build directory still say
> I have 5.2.
>
> Anyone with any suggestions for getting and installing 6.1?

I guess you just have to prepend `/usr/local/bin' to your path.
Usually, you can do this in your `~/.bashrc' file.

Alternatively, assuming that you want a safe location for texinfo 6.1
that won't get accidentally deleted or overwritten, you could try the
following.

  sudo mkdir /opt

  cd texinfo-6.1
  ./configure --prefix=/opt ...
  make
  make install

  cd lilypond
  PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH ./configure ...
  PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH make doc

    Werner

Re: Updating makeinfo

Phil Holmes-3
>> I've not used my Ubuntu 14 lilypond computer for a while, and I'm
>> now trying to help update the example images on the website.  If I
>> run configure I'm being told my makeinfo is too old - I've got 5.2
>> and it requires 6.1.  I can't run the GUI updater because it just
>> tells me there's an update to Ubuntu 16 and if I don't upgrade, but
>> just click OK it exits.  If I run sudo apt-get install texinfo it
>> tells me I have the latest version.  If I download the texinfo 6.1
>> tarball, extract it, and run configure. make and make install it
>> does stuff, but makeinfo --version from my build directory still say
>> I have 5.2.
>>
>> Anyone with any suggestions for getting and installing 6.1?
>
> I guess you just have to prepend `/usr/local/bin' to your path.
> Usually, you can do this in your `~/.bashrc' file.
>
> Alternatively, assuming that you want a safe location for texinfo 6.1
> that won't get accidentally deleted or overwritten, you could try the
> following.
>
>  sudo mkdir /opt
>
>  cd texinfo-6.1
>  ./configure --prefix=/opt ...
>  make
>  make install
>
>  cd lilypond
>  PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH ./configure ...
>  PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH make doc

A bit odd.  I checked my path following your advice and /usr/local/bin was
already there.  So I tried makeinfo --version again from my lilypond
directory and this time it said version 6.1.  So I re-ran configure and it
was OK.

Guess the path statement was reread when the computer was idle.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Updating makeinfo

Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I've not used my Ubuntu 14 lilypond computer for a while, and I'm
>> now trying to help update the example images on the website.  If I
>> run configure I'm being told my makeinfo is too old - I've got 5.2
>> and it requires 6.1.  I can't run the GUI updater because it just
>> tells me there's an update to Ubuntu 16 and if I don't upgrade, but
>> just click OK it exits.  If I run sudo apt-get install texinfo it
>> tells me I have the latest version.  If I download the texinfo 6.1
>> tarball, extract it, and run configure. make and make install it
>> does stuff, but makeinfo --version from my build directory still say
>> I have 5.2.
>>
>> Anyone with any suggestions for getting and installing 6.1?
>
> I guess you just have to prepend `/usr/local/bin' to your path.
> Usually, you can do this in your `~/.bashrc' file.
>
> Alternatively, assuming that you want a safe location for texinfo 6.1
> that won't get accidentally deleted or overwritten, you could try the
> following.
>
>   sudo mkdir /opt
>
>   cd texinfo-6.1
>   ./configure --prefix=/opt ...
>   make
>   make install
>
>   cd lilypond
>   PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH ./configure ...
>   PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH make doc

I prefer to install stuff in conflict with system installations in a
separate directory of their own, say /opt/texinfo .

You do this by configuring TeXinfo with

./configure --prefix=/opt/texinfo

and then sudo make install will install underneath.  Then you need to
configure LilyPond with

MAKEINFO=/opt/texinfo/bin/makeinfo ./configure

and usually this should make the LilyPond build procedure fine for
working with this version of makeinfo.

I do the same for Guile-1.8, with the magic incantation making the Guile
installation known to LilyPond's configure is

GUILE_CONFIG=/opt/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config ./configure

since guile-config is used for teaching the build process everything
about how to locate Guile components.

Re: Updating makeinfo

"Phil Holmes" <[hidden email]> writes:

> A bit odd.  I checked my path following your advice and /usr/local/bin
> was already there.  So I tried makeinfo --version again from my
> lilypond directory and this time it said version 6.1.  So I re-ran
> configure and it was OK.
>
> Guess the path statement was reread when the computer was idle.

hash -r