Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

jim smith-3
I am running Lilypond 2.2.2 on FreeBSD.  It was running fine, then
I had to upgrade the tex system to gain some added functionality for
LyX.  Since upgrade teTeX, lilypond [actually, LaTeX] is now broken.
On FreeBSD, tex-latex2e is deprecated for teTeX-texmf.

While I know this is mostly a LaTeX problem, it looks to me like there
is something going on with either lilyponddefs.tex or lily-pdf-defs.tex
to produce this error [I think I've captured the germane part of the
error message, produced with -V]:

--
(./latin.latex (/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class

The beginning part of the .tex file looks like this:

--
% Generated by creator
% at timestamp
\def\lilypondpaperlinewidth{190.0000}%
\def\lilypondpaperinterscoreline{004.0000}%
\def\lilypondpaperunit{mm}\def\lilypondpaperoutputscale{1.75729901757299}%
\def\lilypondpapersizepapersize{a4}%
\font\magfontUOAZBomTVo=ecrm8 scaled 992
\font\magfontEMYYBomXVo=cmr10 scaled 1000
\font\magfontMSGQomXVo=feta-braces-i scaled 1000
\font\magfontIAKQomXVo=feta-braces-f scaled 1000
\font\magfontQMOQomXVo=feta-braces-b scaled 1000
\font\magfontIUHQomXVo=feta-braces-h scaled 1000
\font\magfontGXOBBomXVo=feta20 scaled 1000
\font\magfontIGUKBomXVo=parmesan20 scaled 1000
\font\magfontEUYPBomXVo=feta-braces-a scaled 1000
\font\magfontIYIQomXVo=feta-braces-g scaled 1000
\font\magfontKDLQomXVo=feta-braces-e scaled 1000
\font\magfontGFMQomXVo=feta-braces-d scaled 1000
\font\magfontMKNQomXVo=feta-braces-c scaled 1000
\def\scaletounit{ 2.83464566929134 mul }%
\ifx\lilypondstart\undefined
  \input lilyponddefs
\fi
\outputscale = \lilypondpaperoutputscale\lilypondpaperunit
\lilypondstart
\lilypondspecial
\lilypondpostscript

\vbox to 0pt{%
\leavevmode
\lybox{0}{0}{0}{0}{%
\lyitem{005.6906}{-151.5215}{\magfontKDLQomXVo\char50 }%
\lyitem{005.6906}{-151.5215}{\embeddedps{-00.0000 000.1600 008.0500 008.0500
000.1000 draw_round_box}}%
--

So, where do I begin looking?  Go straight to <comp.text.tex>?  Thanks
for any help you can provide.

Re: Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

Mats Bengtsson-6
As you can see from the error message, latex finds some files
from an installation of lilypond 2.3.4, so if you really run the
lilypond command from version 2.2.2 then the problem is that
you have two versions of the program installed but not set up
correctly. My guess is that your lilypond-profile file which is
sourced when you login comes from the 2.3.4 installation.

   /Mats

Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> s3.kth.se> writes:

> As you can see from the error message, latex finds some files
> from an installation of lilypond 2.3.4, so if you really run the
> lilypond command from version 2.2.2 then the problem is that
> you have two versions of the program installed but not set up
> correctly. My guess is that your lilypond-profile file which is
> sourced when you login comes from the 2.3.4 installation.
>
>    /Mats

Correction: I am running 2.3.4_1.  I had uninstalled 2.2.2 after
it stopped working with LaTeX.  LyX seems to be working fine,
if that makes any difference.

Re: Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

Mats Bengtsson-6
I really recommend to upgrade to the latest stable version, 2.6 or
at least to avoid development versions like 2.3 (odd sub-version is
development, even is "stable"). I guess the real problem is that you
use teTeX version 3.0, which by default uses pdflatex run in latex
mode for the 'latex' command and it seems that your lilypond version
used the wrong technique to detect if you actually run pdflatex or
latex. I would expect other problems as well if you don't upgrade.
(If you upgrade to version 2.6, you will get rid of all dependencies
to teTeX for normal LilyPond use).

    /Mats

Jim Smith wrote:

>Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> s3.kth.se> writes:
>

>>As you can see from the error message, latex finds some files
>>from an installation of lilypond 2.3.4, so if you really run the
>>lilypond command from version 2.2.2 then the problem is that
>>you have two versions of the program installed but not set up
>>correctly. My guess is that your lilypond-profile file which is
>>sourced when you login comes from the 2.3.4 installation.
>>
>>   /Mats
>>

>Correction: I am running 2.3.4_1.  I had uninstalled 2.2.2 after
>it stopped working with LaTeX.  LyX seems to be working fine,
>if that makes any difference.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

jim smith-3
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:22:00 +0100
Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please always keep the discussion on the mailing list, for the
> benefit of yourself since you get access to the collected
> expertise on the list and for the benefit of others who experience
> similar problems. Feel free to quote my answer below if you wish.
>
> Why not try the installation package at www.lilypond.org which is
> intended to work on almost any Linux system and which contains its
> own ghostscript, renamed to avoid the problems you describe, if I remember
> correctly.
>
>    /Mats

There is an added difficulty--this system is FreeBSD, not Linux.

--
Jim Smith

Re: Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

Mats Bengtsson-6
If you search the mailing lists, you will find emails from several people
who have installed LilyPond of FreeBSD. Hopefully you can find some
useful hints there.

   /Mats

[hidden email] wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:22:00 +0100
>Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Please always keep the discussion on the mailing list, for the
>>benefit of yourself since you get access to the collected
>>expertise on the list and for the benefit of others who experience
>>similar problems. Feel free to quote my answer below if you wish.
>>
>>Why not try the installation package at www.lilypond.org which is
>>intended to work on almost any Linux system and which contains its
>>own ghostscript, renamed to avoid the problems you describe, if I remember
>>correctly.
>>
>>   /Mats
>>

>There is an added difficulty--this system is FreeBSD, not Linux.
>
>--
>Jim Smith

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

jim smith-3
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:07:28 +0100
Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you search the mailing lists, you will find emails from several people
> who have installed LilyPond of FreeBSD. Hopefully you can find some
> useful hints there.
>
>    /Mats

I did, and none of the suggestions get past the teTX-latex2e/teTeX-texmf
problem of producing postscript/pdf output.  They allow 2.2.2 to build
on FreeBSD >5, but don't get past the above problem.

Also, lilypond 2.6.x won't build on FreeBSD because the latest port of
texinfo [4.8] only includes makeinfo 4.6, and lilypond won't get past
that [it wants makeinfo > 4.7].

I've got an email into Zbynek Burget, who apparently got 2.6.3 to
compile in August.  If I get lilypond working again, I'll report back
with all the happy details.  For now, I'm basically stuck on all my
projects.

--

72, Jim N0OCT

[hidden email] wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:07:28 +0100
>Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>If you search the mailing lists, you will find emails from several people
>>who have installed LilyPond of FreeBSD. Hopefully you can find some
>>useful hints there.
>>
>>   /Mats
>>

>I did, and none of the suggestions get past the teTX-latex2e/teTeX-texmf
>problem of producing postscript/pdf output.  They allow 2.2.2 to build
>on FreeBSD >5, but don't get past the above problem.

Then the good news is that in version 2.6 you don't have these dependencies
to teTeX anymore (unless you want to use lilypond-book).

>Also, lilypond 2.6.x won't build on FreeBSD because the latest port of
>texinfo [4.8] only includes makeinfo 4.6, and lilypond won't get past
>that [it wants makeinfo > 4.7].

That's only needed to process the documentation. You can safely change
the line in configure.in that says
STEPMAKE_PROGS(MAKEINFO, makeinfo, REQUIRED, 4.7)
to read 4.6 instead and then run
./autogen
to generate and run a new configure that accepts makeinfo 4.6.
It may happen that when you run 'make' it will break at the end
complaining about errors, but those will only affect the documentation
and 'make install' should install everything else correctly so you can use
the program.

Re: Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

jim smith-3
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:54:42 +0100
Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's only needed to process the documentation. You can safely change
> the line in configure.in that says
> STEPMAKE_PROGS(MAKEINFO, makeinfo, REQUIRED, 4.7)
> to read 4.6 instead and then run
> ./autogen
> to generate and run a new configure that accepts makeinfo 4.6.

I did this, and it still spits out the error that makeinfo needs to be

--

72, Jim N0OCT

[hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:54:42 +0100
> Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>That's only needed to process the documentation. You can safely change
>>the line in configure.in that says
>>STEPMAKE_PROGS(MAKEINFO, makeinfo, REQUIRED, 4.7)
>>to read 4.6 instead and then run
>>./autogen
>>to generate and run a new configure that accepts makeinfo 4.6.
>

> I did this, and it still spits out the error that makeinfo needs to be
>
>>= 4.7.  Is there something I can edit by hand in configure?

Are you sure that configure was regenerated when you ran autogen?
Actually, it's not that hard to edit configure by hand. Just replace
all occurancies of "4.7" with "4.6" (3 places if I'm not mistaken).

Re: Undefined control sequence. \embeddedps

jim smith-3
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:10:03 +0100
Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you sure that configure was regenerated when you ran autogen?
> Actually, it's not that hard to edit configure by hand. Just replace
> all occurancies of "4.7" with "4.6" (3 places if I'm not mistaken).

Quite sure--that a new configure was *not* produced by running
autogen.sh [no doubt some difference between BSD and Linux].  I did
edit configure by hand, ran gmake, gmake install and now I can use
lilypond once again.  I will document the steps necessary to get it
running on FreeBSD 5.4 tomorrow and post to the list.

Thanks for all your help.

--

72, Jim N0OCT