Unable to tie chords together in chordmode

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Unable to tie chords together in chordmode

Stephen Torri
When I attempt to use a chord tie in a \chordmode I get an error when
using lilypond 2.6.5:
       
        lilypond Silent_Night.ly
        GNU LilyPond 2.6.5
        Processing `Silent_Night.ly'
        Parsing...
        Interpreting music...
        piece.ly:30:27: warning: junking event: `TieEvent'
        harmonies = \chordmode { g1
                                   ~ | g1 | d1 }

Here is my chord line:

        harmonies = \chordmode { g1~ | g1 | d1 }

What am I doing wrong?

Stephen

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to tie chords together in chordmode

Mats Bengtsson-6
If you typeset your chords using a ChordNames context,
\new ChordNames \harmonies
then there is no support for ties. On the other hand, if you typeset the
chords using normal notes,
\new Staff \harmonies
then you will of course also get the ties. So, it really has nothing to
do with
\chordmode per se.

I tried to add the tie engraver (the functions handling ties) to the
ChordNames
context, but the only thing that happens is that you get rid of the
warning.
LilyPond is still unable to print the ties, since they are connected to
note heads.

What kind of layout did you expect for ties between chords?

   /Mats

Stephen Torri wrote:

>When I attempt to use a chord tie in a \chordmode I get an error when
>using lilypond 2.6.5:
>        
>        lilypond Silent_Night.ly
>        GNU LilyPond 2.6.5
>        Processing `Silent_Night.ly'
>        Parsing...
>        Interpreting music...
>        piece.ly:30:27: warning: junking event: `TieEvent'
>        harmonies = \chordmode { g1
>                                   ~ | g1 | d1 }
>
>Here is my chord line:
>
>        harmonies = \chordmode { g1~ | g1 | d1 }
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>Stephen
>  
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>lilypond-user mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
>  
>

--
=============================================
        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe
=============================================



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to tie chords together in chordmode

Stephen Torri
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 12:57 +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> If you typeset your chords using a ChordNames context,
> \new ChordNames \harmonies
> then there is no support for ties. On the other hand, if you typeset the
> chords using normal notes,
> \new Staff \harmonies
> then you will of course also get the ties. So, it really has nothing to
> do with
> \chordmode per se.
>
> I tried to add the tie engraver (the functions handling ties) to the
> ChordNames
> context, but the only thing that happens is that you get rid of the
> warning.
> LilyPond is still unable to print the ties, since they are connected to
> note heads.
>
> What kind of layout did you expect for ties between chords?
>
>    /Mats
I was expecting to see only the first chord name for a tied pair.
Instead of printing the second chord name a space would be inserted so
that the chord name following it would be properly spaced.

Stephen

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to tie chords together in chordmode

Mats Bengtsson-6


Stephen Torri wrote:

>>What kind of layout did you expect for ties between chords?
>>
>>   /Mats
>>    
>>
>
>I was expecting to see only the first chord name for a tied pair.
>Instead of printing the second chord name a space would be inserted so
>that the chord name following it would be properly spaced.
>  
>

I'm sure you realize that you can get the desired output by specifying
only the first occurance of the chord, with a longer duration, for example
to get a chord spanning 3 full measures in common time, use something like

\chordmode{ c1*3:dim7 ... }

   /Mats


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unable to tie chords together in chordmode

Stephen Torri
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 16:34 +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> I'm sure you realize that you can get the desired output by specifying
> only the first occurance of the chord, with a longer duration, for example
> to get a chord spanning 3 full measures in common time, use something like
>
> \chordmode{ c1*3:dim7 ... }
>
>    /Mats

No I did not realize I could use the multiplication symbol '*' to adjust
the duration. Thanks.

Stephen

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment