Unable to Use LilyPond

Wesley Rhodes
Hello!

I hope you area all doing well during this time. I am a MacBook user
running macOS Catalina. I was thrilled to find LilyPond, but it appears to
not be working for me. I downloaded it, but when I try to run the program I
get the following error:

"The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of
macOS. Contact the developer for more information."

Can you tell me if there is a fix for this issue? I would really appreciate
it. Thank you!

Best,

Wesley

Re: Unable to Use LilyPond

Jahrme Risner
   On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 20:43, Wesley Rhodes
   <[1][hidden email]> wrote:

     Hello!
     I hope you area all doing well during this time. I am a MacBook user
     running macOS Catalina. I was thrilled to find LilyPond, but it
     appears to
     not be working for me. I downloaded it, but when I try to run the
     program I
     get the following error:
     "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this
     version of
     macOS. Contact the developer for more information."
     Can you tell me if there is a fix for this issue? I would really
     appreciate
     it. Thank you!

   One option is to use MacPorts (macports.org) which is a package manager
   for macOS that provides both stable and development versions of
   LilyPond (among other programs). Using a package manager like MacPorts
   is my preferred solution.

   Some people would rather download a .app bundle; if you fall into this
   camp I know that Marnen on the list has been working on such a bundle.
   I believe there are links in the chat history, and I’m cc’ing in Marnen
   in case you need help with this approach.

     Best,
     Wesley

References

   1. mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Unable to Use LilyPond

marnen
On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:41 PM Jahrme Risner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 20:43, Wesley Rhodes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>

> I hope you area all doing well during this time. I am a MacBook user
> running macOS Catalina. I was thrilled to find LilyPond, but it appears to
> not be working for me. I downloaded it, but when I try to run the program I
> get the following error:
>

> "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of
> macOS. Contact the developer for more information."
>

> Can you tell me if there is a fix for this issue? I would really appreciate
> it. Thank you!

First of all, I’m sorry you’ve run into this.  For a long time there were
no 64-bit Mac binaries of LilyPond available at all.  I’ve fixed that
situation now; binaries are available for download at
https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64 .  I hope to get this
mentioned on the LilyPond website sometime in the near future so fewer
people are confused.

Build scripts and an issue tracker for 64-bit Mac builds are at
https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder
 , if you want to contribute or need to report problems.  Again, I hope to
get this better integrated with the rest of the LilyPond project.

> One option is to use MacPorts (macports.org) which is a package manager
> for macOS that provides both stable and development versions of LilyPond
> (among other programs). Using a package manager like MacPorts is my
> preferred solution.

And my explicitly dispreferred one if you don’t already have some other
need for MacPorts.  But you knew that. :)

> Some people would rather download a .app bundle; if you fall into this
> camp I know that Marnen on the list has been working on such a bundle. I
> believe there are links in the chat history, and I’m cc’ing in Marnen in
> case you need help with this approach.

Yes, see above.  I believe this should be the preferred option for most Mac
users who don’t have a specific reason to need to build from source.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser [hidden email] http://www.marnen.org Sent from Gmail
Mobile

Re: Unable to Use LilyPond

Jahrme Risner
   On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:52, Marnen Laibow-Koser
   <[1][hidden email]> wrote:

   [4]https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64 .  I hope to get this
   [5]https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder
    , if you want to contribute or need to report problems.  Again, I hope
   to get this better integrated with the rest of the LilyPond project.

   One option is to use MacPorts ([6]macports.org) which is a package
   manager for macOS that provides both stable and development versions of
   LilyPond (among other programs). Using a package manager like MacPorts
   is my preferred solution.

   And my explicitly dispreferred one if you don’t already have some other
   need for MacPorts.  But you knew that. :)

   Yes, and that is why I CC’d you, to make sure Wesley had all the option
   available.

   Some people would rather download a .app bundle; if you fall into this
   camp I know that Marnen on the list has been working on such a bundle.
   I believe there are links in the chat history, and I’m cc’ing in Marnen
   in case you need help with this approach.

   Yes, see above.  I believe this should be the preferred option for most
   Mac users who don’t have a specific reason to need to build from
   source.

   One slight correction here, MacPorts will provide pre-built binaries
   when available, building from source is usually only needed if you are
   on an unusual platform or attempt to upgrade immediately after an
   update has been submitted.

   Best,

     --

   Marnen Laibow-Koser [7][hidden email] [8]http://www.marnen.org Sent
   from Gmail Mobile

References

   1. mailto:[hidden email]
   2. mailto:[hidden email]
   3. mailto:[hidden email]
   4. https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64
   5. https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder
   6. http://macports.org/
   7. mailto:[hidden email]
   8. http://www.marnen.org/

Re: Unable to Use LilyPond

marnen
On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:09 PM Jahrme Risner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

> One slight correction here, MacPorts will provide pre-built binaries when
> available, building from source is usually only needed if you are on an
> unusual platform or attempt to upgrade immediately after an update has been
> submitted.

You’re quite right; thanks for the correction (although builds with
variants still go from source, right?). I still think .app bundles play
nicer with Mac OS and are easier to work with in terms of being
self-contained, but I should have been more precise.

(Fun fact: the MacPorts install on the box that I’m using to produce the
LilyPond builds *does* have to install everything from source, because I
put MacPorts in a nonstandard location to make system administration
easier.  Apparently MacPorts builds for a specific installation location...)

Best,