Turning off selected spanbars in a Grandstaff

Turning off selected spanbars in a Grandstaff

Andrew Bernard
Please refer to the attached score. Is it possible to turn of just the
span bars between the top two systems and the bottom two? We want to
keep the system start span bar as this is a string quartet, but in
this polymetric section the span bars give a misleading impression of
synchrony between the top two parts and the bottom two. [Before people
start commenting this is musical nonsense you find such polymeter in
composers like Elliot Carter.]

Andrew

spanbars.png (78K) Download Attachment

Re: Turning off selected spanbars in a Grandstaff

Thomas Morley-2
Am Di., 17. März 2020 um 12:54 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<[hidden email]>:

> Please refer to the attached score. Is it possible to turn of just the
> span bars between the top two systems and the bottom two? We want to
> keep the system start span bar as this is a string quartet, but in
> this polymetric section the span bars give a misleading impression of
> synchrony between the top two parts and the bottom two. [Before people
> start commenting this is musical nonsense you find such polymeter in
> composers like Elliot Carter.]
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

iiuc, how about:

\new GrandStaff
  <<
    \new Staff \with { \override BarLine.allow-span-bar = ##f }
      { r1 r r r }
    \new Staff
      { r1 r r r }
    \new Staff \with { \override BarLine.allow-span-bar = ##f }
      { r1 r r r }
    \new Staff
      { r1 r r r }

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: Turning off selected spanbars in a Grandstaff

Sami Amiris
I would kindly ask you, how did you get the notes to look like this (straight
beams, thinner overall look etc.)? If it distracts from the thread I
apologize, but I am truly curious as to the visual aspect of it all. (The
polymeter I understand.)