Turkish makam (and beyond) contribution(s) to Lilypond

Turkish makam (and beyond) contribution(s) to Lilypond

Adam Good-3
Greetings Lilypond-dev'ers,

Here's Adam Good in Brooklyn, NY.

I've shown up on the dev list recently but here's a better introduction.
I'm a musician with a passion and fairly decent understanding of Turkish
makam and musics of east Europe, the Balkans and beyond. I've spent the
past two months working out a very good update to the current makam.ly file
with some wonderful help from Hans Aberg, Torsten Haemmerle and notably
Graham Breed using his work on regular.ly work.

I have, from what I can see, a working replacement for makam.ly in the form
of turkish-makam.ly that gives us full transposition possibilities and key
signatures for 201 makams, something makam.ly wasn't capable of previously.

I would love for turkish-makam.ly to end up in the main Lilypond
distribution but I need guidance from someone here to make it happen, like
a mentor as mentioned in the contributor guide. Would a developer be
willing to help me?

In the future I'd like to update arabic.ly to arabic-maqam.ly and would
like to contribute something for Persian / Iranian music.

Hopefully someone has thoughts.

All the best,
Adam Good

Re: Turkish makam (and beyond) contribution(s) to Lilypond

Karlin High
On 11/22/2018 3:25 PM, Adam Good wrote:
> I need guidance from someone here to make it happen, like
> a mentor as mentioned in the contributor guide. Would a developer be
> willing to help me?

I think currently, your mentor will be the lilypond-devel list.

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-11/msg00017.html>

I'd say follow the Contributor Guide instructions for submitting a patch
for code review, and your mentor for that particular patch will be
whichever of the most-frequent contributors takes the most interest in it.

If someone plans to be a major, ongoing contributor to the project, I
think having a single mentor would be the way to go.

For someone like me, contributing just one patch ever, it's worked out
well to follow the Contributor Guide instructions and ask this list for
help as needed.

Following the list has also been helpful; no way can I understand the
discussions on the finer points of C++ or Scheme, but I'd like to think
it does help me stay in touch with how to work with the community. It
also gives me an idea of which of the main developers have what skills,
and which ones are most likely to match my style of work and communication.

To contribute a patch, getting accounts for the SourceForge issue
tracker and Rietveld code review isn't hard. I don't ever plan to get
Git commit access unless not having that is causing someone else a big
inconvenience. My skill with Git isn't enough to let me fully understand
the effects of my actions. I'm quite happy to attach a review-complete
patch to the issue tracker and let someone else apply it.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA