Tuplets

Craig Brinker
I'd appreciate if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just
started to use lilypond and I was trying make triplets. Here is the
source I was using:

\version "2.6.0"
     upper = \relative c'' {
        \clef treble
        \key g \major
        \time 4/4

         g g2. a4 b4 a4
     }

     lower = \relative c {
        \clef bass
        \key c \major
        \time 4/4

       \ times 2/3 { e, b' e }

        \context PianoStaff <<
           \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Piano  "
           \context Staff = upper \upper
           \context Staff = lower \lower

        \layout { }
        \midi { \tempo 4=60 }
     }}

I just used the piano template and made some simple note changes and
when I try to generate the PDF it gives me this message:

# -*-compilation-*-
Changing working directory to `C:/Craig's stuff/Music/Song 1'
Processing `C:/Craig's stuff/Music/Song 1/Song 1b.ly'
Parsing...
C:/Craig's stuff/Music/Song 1/Song 1b.ly:15:7: error: syntax error,
unexpected \C[haracter]

       \ times 2/3 { e, b' e }

error: errors found, ignoring music expression
C:/Craig's stuff/Music/Song 1/Song 1b.ly:25:6: error: syntax error,
unexpected '}'
     }
      } }}

It's probably something simple but I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
Craig

Re: Tuplets

Thomas Scharkowski
Hi Craig,

>        \ times

should be

\times

Thomas

RE: Tuplets

Fairchild
You're right.  It is simple.  Change "\ times" to "\times".

Also, I believe the last "}" is not necessary and probably a bad.

                                  - Bruce

Re: Tuplets

Vincent-35
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:08:44 +0200, Craig Brinker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'd appreciate if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just
> started to use lilypond and I was trying make triplets. Here is the
> source I was using:

the program's output speaks for itself: there's an unknown "\" and an
extra "}". notice that the lilypond output states the line and the column
at which there are syntax errors in your input file.

note that "\ times" is *not* the same that "\times" and that at the end of
your \score block there's an unmatched bracket "}". the correct code is:

\version "2.6.0"
      upper = \relative c'' {
         \clef treble
         \key g \major
         \time 4/4

          g g2. a4 b4 a4
      }

      lower = \relative c {
         \clef bass
         \key c \major
         \time 4/4

         \times 2/3 { e, b' e }  % an error was here

         \context PianoStaff <<
            \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Piano  "
            \context Staff = upper \upper
            \context Staff = lower \lower

         \layout { }
         \midi { \tempo 4=60 }
      } % another error was here

You have to be careful with lilypond syntax, and know it well. I'd sugest
you to use a text editor with programming helper features (such as bracket
matching) to help you detecting errors like these. For Windows, JEdit with
it's excelent plugin Lily4Jedit is highly recommended for entering
lilypond scores (See the manual).

Greetings,

Vincent

RE: Tuplets

Fairchild
As advice is being dished, recognize that LilyPond's error recognition and
error messages are in their infancy.  Like a baby, it is quick to squeal,
but often not capable of expressing the source of pain.

At times the only effective debugging technique is to comment out code
blocks until the error disappears, or comment out everything and add back
incrementally -- tedious but eventually effective fixing the problem or
nailing a bug.

                                       - Bruce

Re: Tuplets

Craig Brinker