Trouble with Polyphony

Jon Arnold-2
I'm trying to print a note simultaneous to a rest but have the rest be in normal \oneVoice position. (This is to illustrate a harp muffle of a single note.)

This is basically how I'm doing it (minus the complicated code of replacing the stem glyph):
<< { r8 } {\tiny \stemDown \omit Flag bes,,8} >>

The problem is that this also affects the fontsize of the rest (which seems odd to me since they in separate braces).

So I tried:
<< {r8} \new Voice {\tiny \stemDown \omit Flag bes,} >>
But this gives a compiling error:
Drawing systems...lilypond: /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/linux-64/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-release-unstable/flower/include/drul-array.hh:35: T& Drul_array<T>::at(Direction) [with T = double]: Assertion `d == 1 || d == -1' failed.
Aborted

I get the same error if use the \\ part separator and use \oneVoice on the rest to try to get it in the right spot.

Oddly though, I do not get the error using the last line of code in a blank file, but it does not print the rest within the staff.

I'm using 2.19.61.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Trouble with Polyphony

caagr98
On 05/27/17 05:06, Jon Arnold wrote:

> I'm trying to print a note simultaneous to a rest but have the rest be
> in normal \oneVoice position. (This is to illustrate a harp muffle of a
> single note.)
>
> This is basically how I'm doing it (minus the complicated code of
> replacing the stem glyph):
>
>     << { r8 } {\tiny \stemDown \omit Flag bes,,8} >>
>
> The problem is that this also affects the fontsize of the rest (which
> seems odd to me since they in separate braces).

In Lilypond, braces don't indicate scopes, they just say that their
contents are in sequential order.

Have you tried `\once`, as in `{ \once \tiny \once \voiceOne \once omit
Flag bes,,8 }`? (I'm not sure whether `\once {\tiny \voiceOne \omit
Flag}` works.)

You could also use `\tweak`, but that's a bit more complicated.

Re: Trouble with Polyphony

Thomas Morley-2

> I'm trying to print a note simultaneous to a rest but have the rest be in
> normal \oneVoice position. (This is to illustrate a harp muffle of a single
> note.)
>
> This is basically how I'm doing it (minus the complicated code of replacing
> the stem glyph):
>
> << { r8 } {\tiny \stemDown \omit Flag bes,,8} >>
>
> The problem is that this also affects the fontsize of the rest (which seems
> odd to me since they in separate braces).
>
> So I tried:
>
> << {r8} \new Voice {\tiny \stemDown \omit Flag bes,} >>
>
> But this gives a compiling error:
>
> Drawing systems...lilypond:
> /home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/linux-64/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-release-unstable/flower/include/drul-array.hh:35:
> T& Drul_array<T>::at(Direction) [with T = double]: Assertion `d == 1 || d ==
> -1' failed.
> Aborted
>
> I get the same error if use the \\ part separator and use \oneVoice on the
> rest to try to get it in the right spot.
>
> Oddly though, I do not get the error using the last line of code in a blank
> file, but it does not print the rest within the staff.
>
> I'm using 2.19.61.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Below's all working.
I never got the assertion failure, though.

\new Staff
<<
    { \tweak staff-position #0 r8 }
    \\
    { \tiny \omit Flag bes }

\new Staff
<<
    { \tweak staff-position #0 r8 }
    \new Voice { \stemDown \tiny \omit Flag bes }

\new Staff
<<
    b'8\rest  %% NB Rest is transposeable
    \new Voice { \stemDown \tiny \omit Flag bes }

HTH,
  Harm

Re: Trouble with Polyphony

Jon Arnold-2
Thanks. The tweak commands work well. I still can't figure out what's throwing the failure, except I think it has something to do with the staff changes I'm using in the rest of the piece.