Trivial (?) question re dynamics positioning

Trivial (?) question re dynamics positioning

Thomas Ruedas
Hi,
lately I have been wondering about how to position dynamics commands
(i.e. f, p, mf, etc.) so that they are exactly in the middle between
the two staves of a piano score. The way suggested in the docs is to
put them into the notes of either the right or left hand, but this
results in them being closer to the upper or lower staff,
respectively, and makes it look as if they would only affect the
corresponding hand, which is not normally what I want.
The insertion of the dynamics in the part of one hand or another also
has the side effect that in the MIDI produced from it, only the
respective hand is affected by the dynamics command, but not both,
with is (usually) not what I want either.
Any solutions?
Thomas

Re: Trivial (?) question re dynamics positioning

David Rogers-6

On 4-Dec-05, at 6:42 PM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:

> Hi,
> lately I have been wondering about how to position dynamics commands
> (i.e. f, p, mf, etc.) so that they are exactly in the middle between
> the two staves of a piano score. The way suggested in the docs is to
> put them into the notes of either the right or left hand, but this
> results in them being closer to the upper or lower staff,
> respectively, and makes it look as if they would only affect the
> corresponding hand, which is not normally what I want.
> The insertion of the dynamics in the part of one hand or another also
> has the side effect that in the MIDI produced from it, only the
> respective hand is affected by the dynamics command, but not both,
> with is (usually) not what I want either.
> Any solutions?

Go here:
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Piano-
templates.html#Piano-templates>

Scroll two-thirds of the way down the page, where a template is given
for this.

Hope it's useful
David

Re: Trivial (?) question re dynamics positioning

Thomas Ruedas
Hi again,
On Monday 05 December 2005 06:02, David Rogers wrote:
> On 4-Dec-05, at 6:42 PM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:
> > lately I have been wondering about how to position dynamics
> > commands (i.e. f, p, mf, etc.) so that they are exactly in the
> > middle between the two staves of a piano score.
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Piano-
> templates.html#Piano-templates>
thanks for the pointer, David; the example shows exactly what I want -
the only problem is that it didn't work for me when I copied it (and
commented out the pedal stuff, which I don't need here). The example
in the form I tried is given at the end of this mail.
I use 2.6.3 and got the following error:
Interpreting music...
error: unknown translator: `Engraver_group'

If I comment the line \type "Engraver_group", I get the following even
more confusing error:
Interpreting music... /usr/share/lilypond/2.6.3/ly/init.ly:8:3: In
procedure symbol->string in expression (ly:parser-print-book parser
(apply ly:make-book $defaultpaper ...)):
/usr/share/lilypond/2.6.3/ly/init.ly:8:3: Wrong type argument in
position 1 (expecting SYMBOLP): ()

While I don't have the slightest clue what this means, I did not
expect there to be a problem with the Engraver_group, because the
example assumes v.2.6.0, i.e. more or less what I have.
What can I do about this?
Thomas

     \score {
       \context PianoStaff <<
         \context Staff = "upper" << \i >>
         \context Dynamics = dynamics \dynamics
         \context Staff= "lower" << \ii >>
%         \context Dynamics=pedal \pedal

       \layout {
         \context {
           \type "Engraver_group"
           \name Dynamics
           \alias Voice % So that \cresc works, for example.
           \consists "Output_property_engraver"

           \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1)
%           pedalSustainStrings = #'("Ped." "*Ped." "*")
%           pedalUnaCordaStrings = #'("una corda" "" "tre corde")

%           \consists "Piano_pedal_engraver"
           \consists "Script_engraver"
           \consists "Dynamic_engraver"
           \consists "Text_engraver"

           \override TextScript #'font-size = #2
           \override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic
           \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
           \override Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)

           \consists "Skip_event_swallow_translator"

           \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
         }
         \context {
           \PianoStaff
           \accepts Dynamics
           \override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #7
       \context PianoStaff <<
         \context Staff=upper << \i \dynamics >>
         \context Staff=lower << \ii \dynamics >>
%         \context Dynamics=pedal \pedal

       \midi {
         \context {
           \type "Performer_group"
           \name Dynamics
%           \consists "Piano_pedal_performer"
         }
         \context {
           \PianoStaff
           \accepts Dynamics
         }
        \tempo 4 = 90

On 5-Dec-05, at 8:52 AM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:

> Hi again,
> On Monday 05 December 2005 06:02, David Rogers wrote:
>> On 4-Dec-05, at 6:42 PM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:
>>> lately I have been wondering about how to position dynamics
>>> commands (i.e. f, p, mf, etc.) so that they are exactly in the
>>> middle between the two staves of a piano score.
>> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Piano-
>> templates.html#Piano-templates>
> thanks for the pointer, David; the example shows exactly what I want -
> the only problem is that it didn't work for me when I copied it (and
> commented out the pedal stuff, which I don't need here). The example
> in the form I tried is given at the end of this mail.
> I use 2.6.3 and got the following error:
> Interpreting music...
> error: unknown translator: `Engraver_group'

In the link above, I've changed "2.7" to "2.6" - there appear to be
some small differences in the templates for the different versions.

And always say which version you're working on when you ask a
question.  :-)

David

On Monday 05 December 2005 19:22, David Rogers wrote:
> On 5-Dec-05, at 8:52 AM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:
> > I use 2.6.3 and got the following error:
> > Interpreting music...
> > error: unknown translator: `Engraver_group'
> In the link above, I've changed "2.7" to "2.6" - there appear to be
> some small differences in the templates for the different versions.
> And always say which version you're working on when you ask a
> question.  :-)
Yes, sorry, I forgot that - however, what is the conclusion now? Is
the Engraver_group a new feature introduced only in 2.7? Then this
example shouldn't be in the 2.6 branch of the docs.
Thomas

Re: Trivial (?) question re dynamics positioning

Mats Bengtsson-6
The conclusion is that you should look at the manual for version 2.6 if
you use that version and the manual for version 2.7 if you use that.
The original answer provided a link to the version 2.7 manual.

   /Mats

Thomas Ruedas wrote:

>On Monday 05 December 2005 19:22, David Rogers wrote:
>

>>On 5-Dec-05, at 8:52 AM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:
>>

>>>I use 2.6.3 and got the following error:
>>>Interpreting music...
>>>error: unknown translator: `Engraver_group'
>>>

>>In the link above, I've changed "2.7" to "2.6" - there appear to be
>>some small differences in the templates for the different versions.
>>And always say which version you're working on when you ask a
>>question.  :-)
>>

>Yes, sorry, I forgot that - however, what is the conclusion now? Is
>the Engraver_group a new feature introduced only in 2.7? Then this
>example shouldn't be in the 2.6 branch of the docs.
>Thomas

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems