Transposing instruments

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Pierre-Luc,

> I now feel a weight have been lifted from my shoulders.

Well, I hope we don’t hear from you years from now saying “For what it's worth, I wish somebody would have told me earlier that I
should use clefs rather than transpositions.”  LOL

Cheers,
Kieren.
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: Transposing instruments

Francisco Vila
El 15/2/20 a las 18:10, Kieren MacMillan escribió:
> Hi Pierre-Luc,
>
>> I now feel a weight have been lifted from my shoulders.
>
> Well, I hope we don’t hear from you years from now saying “For what it's worth, I wish somebody would have told me earlier that I
> should use clefs rather than transpositions.”  LOL
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.

Just like LilyPond allows engraving a simple song with

   \score {  { b } \addlyrics { Bee } }

(you'd never engrave an opera this way, but you also don't want to be
unnecessarily overkilling), LilyPond allows the simple case of engraving
guitar music in G clef and, if no more complex use is to be made from
this (e.g. reusing) then all is fine. You can get correct pitches on
MIDI by \transposition.

You can, alternatively, enter correct pitches and a false clef which
moves the music an octave up and hides the 8. The fact is, guitar music
is usually written in plain G clef and this is known to sound an octave
lower. It's common practice.

I also agree on guitar being no essentially different to e.g. clarinet
on this respect.

So my question for Kieren is, for large scores involving transposing
wind instruments along with strings etc, how do you manage this by using
only clefs and no transposition?

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es

Re: Transposing instruments

Wols Lists
On 13/03/2020 11:29, Francisco Vila wrote:
> So my question for Kieren is, for large scores involving transposing
> wind instruments along with strings etc, how do you manage this by
> using only clefs and no transposition?

This is a double question, seeing as wind instruments rarely transpose
by an octave. For example, I play the trombone, which is either written
in bass clef concert, or in treble transposed by a ninth. I just don't
worry about the 8s on the clef, I transpose a second and use the
treble_8 clef "as is". Nobody's commented on that extra little 8 so far
... :-)

Cheers,

Wol

El 14/3/20 a las 0:18, antlists escribió:

> On 13/03/2020 11:29, Francisco Vila wrote:
>> So my question for Kieren is, for large scores involving transposing
>> wind instruments along with strings etc, how do you manage this by
>> using only clefs and no transposition?
>
> This is a double question, seeing as wind instruments rarely transpose
> by an octave. For example, I play the trombone, which is either
> written in bass clef concert, or in treble transposed by a ninth. I
> just don't worry about the 8s on the clef, I transpose a second and
> use the treble_8 clef "as is". Nobody's commented on that extra little
> 8 so far ... :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wol

Piccolo transposes an octave up. Usually though, its clef is plain
treble clef. This is a "transposed score" for the piccolo. In a Concert
score, however, a G^8 clef is used to indicate explicitly this octave
up. So this is easy to do, using only clefs. Same for Contrabassoon.
Same for Double basses.

Now think Bflat Clarinet. You can not just produce a clarinet score from
concert pitches using only clefs.

For super-easy sheet music, there is no problem. Just put the noteheads
where you want the clarinet to read them. For full orchestra and parts,
on the contrary, a coherent plan is mandatory, and I don't see how
transposing clarinet is different from transposing piccolo. In both
cases you have different written- and sounding- notes.

So let me ask again, if use of transposition is evil, how can one avoid
it and stick to clefs only?

I think the answer is "you can't" but I'm still curious about what
people do.