Ties and slurs, dashed and solid

Alex Voice
Hi Lilypond Experts,

In a piece of music I am currently engraving, the composer requests a combination of dashed slur on the harmonic but solid tie on the base note, and in the following it works perfectly in example A, but in B (where the harmonic remains on the note d) one gets an extra solid tie. I have tried various ways around this (see B' and B'') but neither are quite satisfactory – in B' the phrasing slur is no substitute for a tie, and in B'' the stems do not quite align convincingly.

\version "2.16.2"
\relative c'
{
\time 3/4
\set doubleSlurs = ##f
<<
\slurDashed
d2.\harmonic^\markup "A" ^( | c2.\harmonic) }
{ g2.~ | g2. }

% --------------
<<
\slurDashed
d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
{ g,2.~ | g2. }

% --------------
<<
\slurDashed
d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B'" ^( | d2.\harmonic ) }
{ g,2._\( | g2.\) }

% --------------
<<
\slurDashed
d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B''" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
\\
{
\stemUp
g,2._~ | g2.

Am I missing something really obvious here!? Is there any way of losing the superfluous tie in B?

Many thanks for whatever advice or solutions you may suggest.

Alex Voice

Re: Ties and slurs, dashed and solid

Thomas Morley
2013/4/5 Alex Voice <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Lilypond Experts,
>
> In a piece of music I am currently engraving, the composer requests a
> combination of dashed slur on the harmonic but solid tie on the base note,
> and in the following it works perfectly in example A, but in B (where the
> harmonic remains on the note d) one gets an extra solid tie. I have tried
> various ways around this (see B' and B'') but neither are quite satisfactory
> – in B' the phrasing slur is no substitute for a tie, and in B'' the stems
> do not quite align convincingly.
>

> \version "2.16.2"
> \relative c'
> {
> \time 3/4
> \set doubleSlurs = ##f
> <<
> {  \slurDashed
> d2.\harmonic^\markup "A" ^( | c2.\harmonic) }
> { g2.~ | g2. }
>>>
> % --------------
> <<
> {  \slurDashed
> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
> { g,2.~ | g2. }
>>>
> % --------------
> <<
> {  \slurDashed
> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B'" ^( | d2.\harmonic ) }
> { g,2._\( | g2.\) }
>>>
> % --------------
> <<
> {  \slurDashed
> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B''" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
> \\
> {
> \stemUp
> g,2._~ | g2.

> Am I missing something really obvious here!? Is there any way of losing the
> superfluous tie in B?
>
> Many thanks for whatever advice or solutions you may suggest.
>
> Alex Voice

does the code below what you want?

\version "2.16.2"

\new Voice
\relative c' {
\time 3/4
     \slurDashed
     d2.\harmonic^\markup "A" ^( |
     c2.\harmonic)
       g2.~ | g2.
    }

% --------------
       \phrasingSlurDashed
       d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B"^\(  |
       d2.\harmonic\)
    }
    {       \slurSolid g,2.( | g2.) }

}

-Harm

On 05/04/2013 13:36, "Thomas Morley" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
>> { g,2.~ | g2. }
>>>>
>> % --------------
>> <<
>> {  \slurDashed
>> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B'" ^( | d2.\harmonic ) }
>> { g,2._\( | g2.\) }
>>>>
>> % --------------
>> <<
>> {  \slurDashed
>> d'2.\harmonic^\markup "B''" ^( | d2.\harmonic) }
>> \\
>> {
>> \stemUp
>> g,2._~ | g2.
>> }
>>>>
>> }
>>

>> Am I missing something really obvious here!? Is there any way of losing
>>the
>> superfluous tie in B?
>>
>> Many thanks for whatever advice or solutions you may suggest.

Hi Harm,

Thank you very much for your swift reply. I think your example B is
similar in output to my example B' - it would be great to get a tie
underneath instead of a slur\phrasing slur, so that the whole effect is
more like that of example A. I suppose it's not vital, but Lilypond has
always proved so flexible in the past, that it seemed likely that that
would be a way to get exactly what was wanted. Is it inevitable that
Lilypond will tie both notes if they are the same in the same note column,
unless one specifies otherwise? And how might one do that!?

Alex

Re: Ties and slurs, dashed and solid

Phil Holmes
Thank you very much for your swift reply. I think your example B is
similar in output to my example B' - it would be great to get a tie
underneath instead of a slur\phrasing slur, so that the whole effect is
more like that of example A. I suppose it's not vital, but Lilypond has
always proved so flexible in the past, that it seemed likely that that
would be a way to get exactly what was wanted. Is it inevitable that
Lilypond will tie both notes if they are the same in the same note column,
unless one specifies otherwise? And how might one do that!?

Alex

How about:

\version "2.16.2"
\relative c'
{
\time 3/4
\slurDashed \slurUp
< d\harmonic g,~ >2. ( < d\harmonic g, >2. )

Phil Holmes

On 05/04/2013 14:12, "Phil Holmes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thank you very much for your swift reply. I think your example B is
>similar in output to my example B' - it would be great to get a tie
>underneath instead of a slur\phrasing slur, so that the whole effect is
>more like that of example A. I suppose it's not vital, but Lilypond has
>always proved so flexible in the past, that it seemed likely that there
>would be a way to get exactly what was wanted. Is it inevitable that
>Lilypond will tie both notes if they are the same in the same note column,
>unless one specifies otherwise? And how might one do that!?
>
>Alex

>How about:
>
>\version "2.16.2"
>\relative c'
>{
>\time 3/4
>\slurDashed \slurUp
>< d\harmonic g,~ >2. ( < d\harmonic g, >2. )
>
>}
>
>--
>Phil Holmes

Hi Phil; yes, this seems to work more than satisfactorily.

The splendour of simplicity - thank you so much!

Alex