Text markup in lyrics

Reinhold Kainhofer

Re: Text markup in lyrics

David Rogers-6

On Nov 17, 2005, at 03:26, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> I'm trying to typeset a piece for our choir (thus it's polyphony
> with lyrics
> attached using \lyricsto). I'm using LilyPond 2.6.3.
>
> Now, in one stanza I need to put a \breathe sign at a position,
> where the
> other stanzas mustn't have a breathe (so I can't attach it to the
> staff
> itself). This breathe should be inserted right in the lyrics of
> that stanza,
> but I haven't been able to do this.
>
> My problem is that it seems as if \markup (as described in the
> documentation:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/
> Text-markup.html#Text-markup )
> does not work for lyrics attached via \lyricsto, and \addlyrics
> doesn't
> handle polyphony (see the comment in section7.3.1)!
>
> So how can I insert the breathe mark to the lyrics?

Hi Reinhold
What I have is only a hack way to get what you want, but you could
put it in the notes instead of in the lyrics, as follows:
\once \override BreathingSign #'Y-offset = #-12 \breathe

, modifying the number as necessary to match the height of your lyrics.
I haven't been able to find a way to adjust a breathing mark left and
right, only up and down.

Hope this helps
David

Re: Text markup in lyrics

What is the problem? Is the problem that the \markup{...} is treated as
an extra syllable, whereas you want it inserted at the end of a
syllable? Then, why not simply include that syllable in the markup
as well? Something like

mylyrics = \lyricmode {
   Here comes a \markup{ word \raise #1.0 \musicglyph #"scripts.rcomma" }
   fol -- lowed by a breath }

It is always much easier to answer a question if you include a small
but complete example of what you tried.

    /Mats

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

        Mats Bengtsson