Text formatting in >>2.4

Erik Sandberg
Hi,

When we left the TeX back-end, some nice features were lost as well. An
example of this, is the typesetting of beautiful text that latex provides:
For example, "fi" is typeset in a slightly more typographically correct way
by latex than by lily >=2.6.

While this is a rather small problem, I suppose that it ideally should be
solved someday, at least for advanced/perfectionist users. I guess a
satisfactory solution could be to use latex to generate an eps for each text
script.

I don't have any big interest in this feature myself, I just wanted to say
this (I can't recall that anyone else has found anything that got worse when
the tex backend was abandoned, so I thought a concrete example could be of
use..)

--
Erik

Re: Text formatting in >>2.4

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Erik Sandberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When we left the TeX back-end, some nice features were lost as well. An
> example of this, is the typesetting of beautiful text that latex provides:
> For example, "fi" is typeset in a slightly more typographically correct way
> by latex than by lily >=2.6.

You are right. I had assumed that Pango deals with this, but that's not
the case. There is a patch for Pango pending, which will add this
functionality for OTF that have ligature tables.

See

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.gtk%2B.internationalization/1866

I the meantime, you could write a function that replaces fl and friends
with appropriate UTF-8 sequences for the ligature glyphs. Unfortunately,
  you will have to know which font contains which ligatures.