TEST REPORT: LilyPond SVG output seen in Firefox 1.5

TEST REPORT: LilyPond SVG output seen in Firefox 1.5

Heikki Junes
Firefox 1.5 was just recently released. The new version supports SVG output.

In the SVG rendering of Firefox 1.5:
 A) grobs were in right places
 B) fonts are initially scaled and overlapping in the output
 C) fonts (Emmentaler etc.) were missing
 D) the output seemed to be too small (width="210" height="298")

In comparison with firefox, in the SVG rendering of sodipodi, only
 C) fonts were missing

It would be nice to see some day SVG output to appear nicely. In first
approximation, the fonts could be included into the SVG output.

Heikki Junes

Re: TEST REPORT: LilyPond SVG output seen in Firefox 1.5

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Heikki Junes wrote:

> Firefox 1.5 was just recently released. The new version supports SVG
> output.
>
> In the SVG rendering of Firefox 1.5:
> A) grobs were in right places
> B) fonts are initially scaled and overlapping in the output
> C) fonts (Emmentaler etc.) were missing
> D) the output seemed to be too small (width="210" height="298")
>
> In comparison with firefox, in the SVG rendering of sodipodi, only
> C) fonts were missing
>
> It would be nice to see some day SVG output to appear nicely. In first
> approximation, the fonts could be included into the SVG output.

try this patch.

*** framework-svg.scm.~1.15.~ 2005-07-11 13:35:45.000000000 +0200
--- framework-svg.scm 2005-12-01 11:02:14.000000000 +0100
***************
*** 46,52 ****
         `(width . ,(format #f "~s" page-width))
         `(height . ,(format #f "~s" page-height))))

! ;    (dump (dump-fonts outputter paper))
       (dump
        (string-append
         ;; FIXME: only use pages if there are more than one, pageSet is

Heikki Junes wrote:

> Firefox 1.5 was just recently released. The new version supports SVG
> output.
>
> In the SVG rendering of Firefox 1.5:
> A) grobs were in right places
> B) fonts are initially scaled and overlapping in the output
> C) fonts (Emmentaler etc.) were missing
> D) the output seemed to be too small (width="210" height="298")
>
> In comparison with firefox, in the SVG rendering of sodipodi, only
> C) fonts were missing
>
> It would be nice to see some day SVG output to appear nicely. In first
> approximation, the fonts could be included into the SVG output.

fwiw, last time I looked, neither Sodipodi nor Inkscape handled embedded
SVG fonts.

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Heikki Junes wrote:
>
>> Firefox 1.5 was just recently released. The new version supports SVG
>> output.
>>
>> In the SVG rendering of Firefox 1.5:
>> A) grobs were in right places
>> B) fonts are initially scaled and overlapping in the output
>> C) fonts (Emmentaler etc.) were missing
>> D) the output seemed to be too small (width="210" height="298")
>>
>> In comparison with firefox, in the SVG rendering of sodipodi, only
>> C) fonts were missing
>>
>> It would be nice to see some day SVG output to appear nicely. In first
>> approximation, the fonts could be included into the SVG output.
>>

> fwiw, last time I looked, neither Sodipodi nor Inkscape handled
> embedded SVG fonts.

The patch indeed increased the file size of svg output,
but neither Sodipodi nor Firefox rendered the fonts.
I tested also the SVG rendering of Opera browser, but it
also did not show the fonts.

In the status page of the SVG development in Firefox
  http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/status.html
the Font Module (e.g. font, font-face, glyph, etc.) is basically
unimplemented. Some time is still needed for the module
to appear implemented.

In any case, the SVG output will be a great feature,
once the viewers are being implemented.

Heikki