System at bottom page on score

Ralph Little
Hi,
I'm trying to print a score using 2.8 (on Windows XP).
Because there is a header and multiple pages, the first system is forced
to the bottom of the first page.
The rest are fine and are at the top of subsequent pages.

Anybody know why?

Cheers in advance,
Ralph

Short Example:
===============

\include "english.ly"

#(set-global-staff-size 16)

\header {
        title = \markup { \italic "In Trutina"}
}

TestNotes = { \repeat unfold 20 {a4 b c d e}}
        \new StaffGroup <<
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }>>

        \new StaffGroup <<
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }>>

        \new StaffGroup <<
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }>>
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes
        }
        \new Staff {
                \TestNotes

TRIBAL TECHNOLOGY IS A MEMBER OF THE TRIBAL GROUP plc www.tribalgroup.co.uk
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Access, copying, dissemination or re-use of information in it by anyone else is unauthorised. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Viatel MailControl

Re: System at bottom page on score

Laura Conrad

    RL> I'm trying to print a score using 2.8 (on Windows XP).
    RL> Because there is a header and multiple pages, the first system is forced
    RL> to the bottom of the first page.
    RL> The rest are fine and are at the top of subsequent pages.

    RL> Anybody know why?

You want to set:

\paper {
       ragged-bottom = ##t
}

I'm not sure why this isn't the default.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011

Re: System at bottom page on score

Dave K.
Anyone know a reason why it isn't?

> You want to set:
>
> \paper {
>        ragged-bottom = ##t
> }
>
> I'm not sure why this isn't the default.

Re: System at bottom page on score

Bugzilla from tvalusek@seznam.cz
Hello,

Dave K. napsal(a):

> Anyone know a reason why it isn't?
>
>> You want to set:
>>
>> \paper {
>>        ragged-bottom = ##t
>> }
>>
>> I'm not sure why this isn't the default.

Well, I think it's because LilyPond coders suppose to use LilyPond for
typesetting multipage pieces and ragged bottom doesn't look well. In a
template I use I've even set ragged-last-bottom to ##f and play with the
system-count variable.

I think templates are a good place to set defaults according to
everyone's taste, I've also included in my personal template some
complicated code structures to reduce typos.

Tomas Valusek

Re: System at bottom page on score

Laura Conrad

    DK> Anyone know a reason why it isn't?
    >> \paper {
    >> ragged-bottom = ##t
    >> }
    >>
    >> I'm not sure why this isn't the default.

I would guess that in the situation where you need the staff to line
up with the staff on the next page, you would want a non-ragged
bottom, so that the person playing a middle staff in an 8-staff
system would be able to just follow a straight line.  But I think the
situation where the space between the title and the first staff looks
wierd is probably more common.