Style question: lead-and-chorus music

Christopher R. Maden
I’ve just released an album of sea chanteys (as threatened like a year
ago).  I’m giving away a songbook with my arrangements — since I had to
make MIDI guide tracks for the recording anyway, why not?

I’m struggling, though, with how best to engrave them.  There are 3 to 6
voices in each chorus, and putting them all on one staff is messy, but
making a proper ChoirStaff seems overkill.

I’d welcome any advice (especially since I think of this as a showcase
for LilyPond) — the album home page is <URL:
http://music.maden.org/index.php?title=Shower_Chanteys >, and each track
link goes to a page with links to the LilyPond source, PDF, and MIDI
output (for the first 11 tracks, so far).

Thanks in advance,
crism
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.

Re: Style question: lead-and-chorus music

Vaughan McAlley
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 11:07 Christopher R. Maden, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’ve just released an album of sea chanteys (as threatened like a year
ago).  I’m giving away a songbook with my arrangements — since I had to
make MIDI guide tracks for the recording anyway, why not?

I’m struggling, though, with how best to engrave them.  There are 3 to 6
voices in each chorus, and putting them all on one staff is messy, but
making a proper ChoirStaff seems overkill.

I’d welcome any advice (especially since I think of this as a showcase
for LilyPond) — the album home page is <URL:
http://music.maden.org/index.php?title=Shower_Chanteys >, and each track
link goes to a page with links to the LilyPond source, PDF, and MIDI
output (for the first 11 tracks, so far).

Thanks in advance,
crism
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.

I would put two lines to a staff at most. If there are an odd number of voices, give the time a line of its own. It can be quite tricky to read the middle line of a bunch of three-note chords, and the ability to do that separates the elite second soprano from the rest.

Vaughan

On 10/15/18 10:59 PM, Vaughan McAlley wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 11:07 Christopher R. Maden, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I’ve just released an album of sea chanteys (as threatened like a
>> year ago).  I’m giving away a songbook with my arrangements — since
>> I had to make MIDI guide tracks for the recording anyway, why not?
>>
>> I’m struggling, though, with how best to engrave them.  There are 3
>> to 6 voices in each chorus, and putting them all on one staff is
>> messy, but making a proper ChoirStaff seems overkill.
>
> I would put two lines to a staff at most. If there are an odd number
> of voices, give the time a line of its own. It can be quite tricky to
> read the middle line of a bunch of three-note chords, and the ability
> to do that separates the elite second soprano from the rest.

Thanks, and apologies for the much-delayed response...

I’ve redone <URL: http://music.maden.org/index.php?title=Rio_Grande >
(direct PDF download: <URL:
http://music.maden.org/images/e/e6/Rio_grande.pdf >) — does that seem
about the right amount of detail?

Thanks again in advance,
Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.

Re: Style question: lead-and-chorus music

Michael Gerdau

> Thanks, and apologies for the much-delayed response...
>
> I’ve redone <URL: http://music.maden.org/index.php?title=Rio_Grande > (direct PDF download: <URL: http://music.maden.org/images/e/e6/Rio_grande.pdf >) — does that seem about the right amount of detail?

Looks good to me.

Kind regards
Michael