Strange warnings

David Sumbler
I have hesitated before sending this message: I know it will annoy
people because it is so vague and I cannot replicate the problem in a
brief piece of code.

But I just wonder if somebody else has come across a similar problem
and can suggest what might be causing it, or whether it relates to some
known bug.

The problem is this: in a 44-bar piece for strings and a singer, every
time I compile the score I get 2 warnings, each of which reads:

warning: overlap(s) found on line 1; redistribute manually
programming error: Improbable offset for stencil: inf staff space
Setting to zero.
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Improbable offset for stencil: inf staff space
Setting to zero.
continuing, cross fingers

There are always 2 identical programming errors as shown above for each
warning.  Occasionally line 2 gets a mention as well as line 1, but
never any other.

The actual output file is fine: it has no obvious overlaps or other
flaws of that sort, even though it still needs a bit of tidying up.

I have spent hours trying to narrow the problem down to particular
bar(s) or instruments, but with little success.  It doesn't seem to be
related to line 1 of the music, because if I truncate all of the input
to the first few bars the warnings disappear.

The only thing I have managed to establish is that it seems to be
related to the 1st violins and cellos, which have staves arranged thus:
          <<
            \new Staff
            \ScoreThreeCelloA
            \new Staff \with { \RemoveAllEmptyStaves }
            \ScoreThreeCelloB

If I comment out one or both of the cello staves, or the 1st fiddle
staves, one or both warnings disappear.  However the 2nd violins and
the violas have staves arranged similarly, yet don't seem to be causing
any problems.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what might be going on here?

David

Re: Strange warnings

Jean-Charles Malahieude-2
Le 25/05/2018 à 17:42, David Sumbler a écrit :

> The only thing I have managed to establish is that it seems to be
> related to the 1st violins and cellos, which have staves arranged thus:
>   <<
>     \new Staff
>     \ScoreThreeCelloA
>     \new Staff \with { \RemoveAllEmptyStaves }
>     \ScoreThreeCelloB
>   >>

Have you tried to just embrace what will go on the staff?

    <<
        \new Staff { \ScoreThreeCelloA }
        \new Staff \with { \RemoveAllEmptyStaves }
          { \ScoreThreeCelloB }

HTH,
--
Jean-Charles

Re: {SPAM 04.0} Re: Strange warnings

David Sumbler
On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 19:23 +0200, Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:

> Le 25/05/2018 à 17:42, David Sumbler a écrit :
> >

> > The only thing I have managed to establish is that it seems to be
> > related to the 1st violins and cellos, which have staves arranged
> > thus:
> >   <<
> >     \new Staff
> >     \ScoreThreeCelloA
> >     \new Staff \with { \RemoveAllEmptyStaves }
> >     \ScoreThreeCelloB
> >   >>
> >
> Have you tried to just embrace what will go on the staff?
>
>     <<
>         \new Staff { \ScoreThreeCelloA }
>         \new Staff \with { \RemoveAllEmptyStaves }
>           { \ScoreThreeCelloB }
>     >>
>
> HTH,
> --
> Jean-Charles

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did have those braces in my file
originally, but I removed them when I found that they are not
necessary.

I did eventually solve the problem, thanks to an off-list nudge from
Joe Davenport.  I had some text spanners in a \global variable, which
was not a good idea when some of the staves are going to be suppressed!

As so often, it is obvious once one has found the answer.

David

Re: {SPAM 04.0} Re: Strange warnings

SoundsFromSound
On 5/25/2018 2:58 PM, David Sumbler wrote:
On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 19:23 +0200, Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:
Le 25/05/2018 à 17:42, David Sumbler a écrit :

The only thing I have managed to establish is that it seems to be
related to the 1st violins and cellos, which have staves arranged
thus:
	  <<
	    \new Staff
	    \ScoreThreeCelloA
	    \new Staff \with { \RemoveAllEmptyStaves }
	    \ScoreThreeCelloB

I did eventually solve the problem, thanks to an off-list nudge from
Joe Davenport.  I had some text spanners in a \global variable, which
was not a good idea when some of the staves are going to be suppressed!

As so often, it is obvious once one has found the answer.

David

David,

Just curious but what text spanners were giving you a problem? I use the global block for a lot of common-score things but have never run into that error yet.

Thanks!

composer | sound designer | asmr artist

On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 15:36 -0400, Ben wrote:

> On 5/25/2018 2:58 PM, David Sumbler wrote:
> > I did eventually solve the problem, thanks to an off-list nudge
> > from
> > Joe Davenport.  I had some text spanners in a \global variable,
> > which
> > was not a good idea when some of the staves are going to be
> > suppressed!
> >
> > As so often, it is obvious once one has found the answer.
> >
> > David
> >

> David,
>
> Just curious but what text spanners were giving you a problem? I use
> the global block for a lot of common-score things but have never run
> into that error yet.
>
> Thanks!

I am using Paul Morris's text-spanner-inner-text-lyric-mode.ly , which
is excellent for markings such as ritardando----al----Lento.  I have
used this previously without problems, but that was before I started
structuring things with a global variable containing time signatures,
tempo markings etc.

On this occasion I put the required commands into the global variable,
forgetting that although the output is formatted in MetronomeMark
style, it is actually a TextScript.  I realized this when I saw the
output, because of course it appeared on every stave.  I made a mental
note that this was something to correct when I had finished the main
input.

It didn't cause any problems at first, but when I had edited things so
that additional staves only appear when necessary, I started to get
these errors.  Hardly surprising when you consider that Lilypond was
being asked to put spanners over suppressed staves.  When I removed the
markings from the global variable and put them just in the staves they
should appear on, the problems disappeared.

David