Still \char # problem..

Mehmet Okonsar
This one gives only an empty ps file no pdf.. I can't understand?
-------------
\version "2.7.10" { \relative c'
c1^\markup {\char #65 }

Re: Still \char # problem..

Mats Bengtsson-6
why do you want to specify the character code? Why not
insert whatever symbol you want directly with your text
editor?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Citerar Mehmet Okonsar <[hidden email]>:

> This one gives only an empty ps file no pdf.. I can't understand?
> -------------
> \version "2.7.10" { \relative c'
> c1^\markup {\char #65 }

Re: Still \char # problem..

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Mehmet Okonsar wrote:
> This one gives only an empty ps file no pdf.. I can't understand?
> -------------
> \version "2.7.10" { \relative c'
> c1^\markup {\char #65 }
> }

\char is deprecated.  I'll remove it from 2.7

stk

Re: Still \char # problem..

stk

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> why do you want to specify the character code? Why not
> insert whatever symbol you want directly with your text
> editor?

People using SToccata.TTF or other non-unicode symbol fonts would find it
helpful to be able to specify the character they want using \char #137
for example.

Beyond that, \char is an existing feature; if its behaviour were
consistent with LilyPond's switch to utf-8, then people who needed only a
few accented letters from time to time could write \char #50089 to get
e-acute, or the corresponding number to get some character from the Czech,
Romanian, etc. alphabet.

-- Tom

Re: Still \char # problem..

Han-Wen Nienhuys
[hidden email] wrote:
> People using SToccata.TTF or other non-unicode symbol fonts would find it
> helpful to be able to specify the character they want using \char #137
> for example.
>
> Beyond that, \char is an existing feature; if its behaviour were
> consistent with LilyPond's switch to utf-8, then people who needed only a
> few accented letters from time to time could write \char #50089 to get
> e-acute, or the corresponding number to get some character from the Czech,
> Romanian, etc. alphabet.

I was confused a little; there is also a back-end command char, which
does not and cannot work any longer since the switch to pango.
However, try using

\markup {
   #(ly:export (ly:wide-char->utf-8 137))
}

Hmmm... maybe I could change the implementation of \char to use that.