Stepping down and moving on

12
dak

Stepping down and moving on

dak

Hi folks and team,

while I haven't really occupied an official function in LilyPond
development, it's hard to deny that I have effectively functioned as
acting chief architect and vetter (with a rather mottled performance).

Partly in connection with a drop of my productivity particularly this
year, the amount of financial support for my work from members of the
LilyPond community went down from overall survivable to disastrous.  Of
course this is bitter for those of you that did contribute in
significant amounts to my subsistence but I have to be moving on.

I have accepted a full-time development (and team management) position
with another company.  Due to their project and team expansion plans,
I will be starting already in December.

This employment is in another city.  I'll be travelling back and forth
weekly for the foreseeable future.  While I might be working on some
LilyPond side projects interesting to me occasionally, I will not be
able to do any serious amound of coordination or other activity
involving me with LilyPond's community.

As my communication style has proven to be a somewhat mixed blessing for
the purpose of attracting long-term developers, I expect that this may
help in the long run for finding a different balance of areas LilyPond
is getting worked on.

During his tenure as LilyPond leader, Graham has demonstrated that even
without a central technical lead there is a lot of potential to focus
the resources of people willing to work on and expand LilyPond and we
have been continuing to reap the results of his talent for organizing
people into useful teams even though I have not really figured out how
to fill gaps in the various teams and tools managing LilyPond's
infrastructure to offset the "natural" amounts of fluctuation.

I'll try seeing through the release of 2.20 in the little time remaining
to me both before and after starting my job.  My main worry is the
current comparative amount of instability with regard to font handling,
and my main bad taste is that 2.20.1 will not be able to support
Guile 2: there is no way that anything deserving the label of "stable"
and including Guile 2 will come about in the rest of my tenure.

There are also several half-completed features that are a nuisance.
I do not expect to be able to to a significant amount of work on them in
the foreseeable future.

Once consequence, of course, is that my requirement for funding is over.
I am greatly thankful to the people who have enabled me to keep working
on LilyPond as long as I did, but what remains in my bank account, in
spite of being quite less than what I started with when working on
LilyPond, is sufficient to tide me over the time to my first paycheck.

So I would ask you to cancel any regular bank payments you might still
have in place as of December: I don't see that I will have a reasonable
chance at returning a tangible value for them.

Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Re: Stepping down and moving on

tisimst
David,

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

I think it would be grossly insufficient to just say "thank you" for what you've done, but thank you. Your expertise has enabled and improved a great many things that everyone has benefitted from. I wish I had more time to get into the thick of things myself, and perhaps I'll be able to. I hope so. In any case, your contributions have taught me a great deal.

And congratulations on the new employment! I hope you find great satisfaction through it! Please don't stay too far away.

Best,
Abraham Lee

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Simon Albrecht-2
Hi David,

wow! Congratulations on the new job, and on having made that decision!
Thanks a million for all the work and dedication you put into LilyPond
and into the community. It was extremely valuable.

All the best for your way ahead, cordially
Simon

On 09.11.2016 18:09, David Kastrup wrote:

> [...]
> and including Guile 2 will come about in the rest of my tenure.
>
> There are also several half-completed features that are a nuisance.
> I do not expect to be able to to a significant amount of work on them in
> the foreseeable future.
>
> Once consequence, of course, is that my requirement for funding is over.
> I am greatly thankful to the people who have enabled me to keep working
> on LilyPond as long as I did, but what remains in my bank account, in
> spite of being quite less than what I started with when working on
> LilyPond, is sufficient to tide me over the time to my first paycheck.
>
> So I would ask you to cancel any regular bank payments you might still
> have in place as of December: I don't see that I will have a reasonable
> chance at returning a tangible value for them.
>
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Alexander Kobel-2
Dear David,

my sincere thanks for your past and ongoing work and dedication for
Lilypond (and other FOSS, by the way). We are well aware that our
donations could not sustain you in the long run. As always in such
situations, it's a pity for the community to hear that an important
member of the dev team has to move on, but I guess we all do understand
your reasons and support your decision. Actually, I'm surprised that you
managed to tolerate the status quo for so long, and I'm glad that you
seem to have found an apt employment. Good luck with the commuting,
though...

On a personal note: I think you are too pessimistic about your abilities
in leading and managing. I've only scratched the varnish of the very
surface of Lilypond's development, but I silently followed many
conversations. I doubt that any different attitude or communication
style would have led to any "more successful" outcome in recruiting or
motivating. I've seen many sincere discussions in rough tones, including
ones about your opinions and personality, but in the end I can't
remember many occasions when other developers did not eventually
appreciate the fact that issues were discussed openly. And I've never
felt doubts by anyone about your dedication and motivation for the
common goal, despite of disagreements in the execution.
There is no team working together over such a long time without
discussions, disputes and arguments - the art is settling them, and
approaching new tasks (and the same people) with an open mind. When I
remember the few pictures I saw from the personal developer meetings at
your place, I feel that you are way better in social affairs than you
might think. And I'll miss your humor on those lists...

All the best in your future endeavors!

Thanks again,
Alexander

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Jan-Peter Voigt
Hi David,

all the best for your new job and a million thanks for all the work you
dedicated to LilyPond!
I hope, we are not lost totally for LilyPond and its community!

Best
Jan-Peter

Am 09.11.2016 um 18:09 schrieb David Kastrup:

> [...]
> and including Guile 2 will come about in the rest of my tenure.
>
> There are also several half-completed features that are a nuisance.
> I do not expect to be able to to a significant amount of work on them in
> the foreseeable future.
>
> Once consequence, of course, is that my requirement for funding is over.
> I am greatly thankful to the people who have enabled me to keep working
> on LilyPond as long as I did, but what remains in my bank account, in
> spite of being quite less than what I started with when working on
> LilyPond, is sufficient to tide me over the time to my first paycheck.
>
> So I would ask you to cancel any regular bank payments you might still
> have in place as of December: I don't see that I will have a reasonable
> chance at returning a tangible value for them.
>
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Mark Stephen Mrotek
David.

Thank you for all of your support - intellectual, material, and
philosophical.
May your new position provide all the success that you deserve.

Mark

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Trevor Daniels
Hi David

The first thing to do is to sincerely thank you for your extreme dedication, skill and energy in developing our favourite program over recent years.  Even that seems a weak effort at expressing the gratitude and admiration I feel.  We owe you a great deal.  But eventually we all have to move on.

It goes without saying, although I shall say it, that whatever continuing involvement you feel able to provide will continue to be widely welcomed by all users and developers.  Please don't leave us entirely!

Finally, I do hope your involvement with our community has been mutually beneficial.  I believe it has.

Sincerely, Trevor

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Hans Aikema-2
David,

Thanks for staying in the pond full time as long as you did. You need some courage and perseverance to live from only donations as long as you did. Wishing you all the good in your new job and hope to see you around in the git shortlogs to get rid of some of those nuisances. I’ll cancel the payments as of 2017. The December payment you can consider as a farewell bonus celebrating your 1500+ commits since the start of your full-time Lilypond development journey.

regards,
Hans

> [...]
> and including Guile 2 will come about in the rest of my tenure.
>
> There are also several half-completed features that are a nuisance.
> I do not expect to be able to to a significant amount of work on them in
> the foreseeable future.
>
> Once consequence, of course, is that my requirement for funding is over.
> I am greatly thankful to the people who have enabled me to keep working
> on LilyPond as long as I did, but what remains in my bank account, in
> spite of being quite less than what I started with when working on
> LilyPond, is sufficient to tide me over the time to my first paycheck.
>
> So I would ask you to cancel any regular bank payments you might still
> have in place as of December: I don't see that I will have a reasonable
> chance at returning a tangible value for them.
>
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Robert Schmaus
David,

thank you for your fantastic work. I'm happy to hear about your new
position - I hope it will be (at least) as interesting as - I think -
your work on LilyPond has been. I'll miss your regular and always
insight- and helpful (and at times very humorous) contributions to this
list!

It couldn't have been easy, staying on for that long without any secure
means of income - kudos for that!

I'm sure you won't disappear completely or quickly, so ...
See you around,
Robert

PS: wonderful performance of Bach's Air on the accordion!

Am 09/11/16 um 18:09 schrieb David Kastrup:

> [...]
> and including Guile 2 will come about in the rest of my tenure.
>
> There are also several half-completed features that are a nuisance.
> I do not expect to be able to to a significant amount of work on them in
> the foreseeable future.
>
> Once consequence, of course, is that my requirement for funding is over.
> I am greatly thankful to the people who have enabled me to keep working
> on LilyPond as long as I did, but what remains in my bank account, in
> spite of being quite less than what I started with when working on
> LilyPond, is sufficient to tide me over the time to my first paycheck.
>
> So I would ask you to cancel any regular bank payments you might still
> have in place as of December: I don't see that I will have a reasonable
> chance at returning a tangible value for them.
>
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Thomas Morley-2

> [...]
> and including Guile 2 will come about in the rest of my tenure.
>
> There are also several half-completed features that are a nuisance.
> I do not expect to be able to to a significant amount of work on them in
> the foreseeable future.
>
> Once consequence, of course, is that my requirement for funding is over.
> I am greatly thankful to the people who have enabled me to keep working
> on LilyPond as long as I did, but what remains in my bank account, in
> spite of being quite less than what I started with when working on
> LilyPond, is sufficient to tide me over the time to my first paycheck.
>
> So I would ask you to cancel any regular bank payments you might still
> have in place as of December: I don't see that I will have a reasonable
> chance at returning a tangible value for them.
>
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Hi David,

to say "thanks a lot for all your fabulous work" is forsooth not
enough, but I'm not able to express it it in better words.

With deepest respect,
  Harm

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Henning Hraban Ramm
Dear David,

thank you so much for all your effort, and all the best for the future!

Blessed be,
Hraban

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno mer 9 nov 2016 alle 18:09, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Thanks to you David for the great work you made for LilyPond!
We'll miss you.

Best
Federico

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Schneidy
Hi David,
Thank you for your hard work et nice helps.
My very best wishes for the future.
Cheers,
Pierre

Il giorno mer 9 nov 2016 alle 18:09, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Thanks to you David for the great work you made for LilyPond!
We'll miss you.

Best
Federico

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Andrew Bernard
David,

I wish you all the very best for your future endeavours. I thank you most sincerely for your immensely significant and important contribution to making lilypond the exceptional tool for engraving that it is. Having tried myself to study the source code and remaining baffled despite decades of software development experience, I am in awe at your ability to comprehend and extend this complex code base, for the benefit of us all. It will be difficult if not impossible for anybody to fill your shoes. I extend my immense gratitude to you for your tireless pursuit of software excellence.

All the best from Down Under!

Andrew Bernard

On 10 November 2016 at 04:09, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hilary Snaden-2
On 09/11/16 17:09, David Kastrup wrote:
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

And thanks, David, for your part in changing the course of my life, for
a while at least. It was discovering LilyPond some years ago which
reminded me of the compositions I still had around, handwritten in
ballpoint.

I started experimenting with engraving these old compositions, then
started writing more, some of which I have performed to some (very
localised) acclaim. I have also used LilyPond to prepare arrangements of
music to use with people with cognitive disorders such as Alzheimer's.
Since then, I have had to all but give up music again, and move into an
altogether different field, but LilyPond's influence may have reached
further than either yourself or the other developers realise.

Do stay around in any capacity if you can!

With very best wishes,

--
Hilary

Re: Stepping down and moving on

benko.pal

> David,
>
> I wish you all the very best for your future endeavours. I thank you most
> sincerely for your immensely significant and important contribution to
> making lilypond the exceptional tool for engraving that it is. Having tried
> myself to study the source code and remaining baffled despite decades of
> software development experience, I am in awe at your ability to comprehend
> and extend this complex code base, for the benefit of us all. It will be
> difficult if not impossible for anybody to fill your shoes. I extend my
> immense gratitude to you for your tireless pursuit of software excellence.
>
> All the best from Down Under!
>
> Andrew Bernard

... and all the same from me,
Pal

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Kieren MacMillan
Dear David,

Congratulations on the new position! I hope it brings you great personal satisfaction and financial security.

Your programming and code-shepherding efforts in the ‘Pond have been nearly miraculous, and the codebase is immeasurably better for you having been on the team. Thank you so much for everything you did to make Lilypond better for everyone, users and developers alike.

Sincerely,
Kieren.

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Mike Solomon
+1 many times over.
Thank you for your excellent, creative, and vital work in helping LilyPond become the world’s best and most stable digital music engraver.

Best of luck!
~Mike

On 10 November 2016 at 13.23.24, Kieren MacMillan ([hidden email]) wrote:

Dear David,

Congratulations on the new position! I hope it brings you great personal satisfaction and financial security.

Your programming and code-shepherding efforts in the ‘Pond have been nearly miraculous, and the codebase is immeasurably better for you having been on the team. Thank you so much for everything you did to make Lilypond better for everyone, users and developers alike.

Sincerely,
Kieren.

Re: Stepping down and moving on

Paul Morris
Hi David,

Congratulations on your new position!  Let me echo everyone in thanking
you for all your invaluable work on LilyPond.  Needless to say, it is in
much better shape today because of your efforts and skills.  We will
miss you as a full-time contributor (and also your humorous asides and
metaphors) but hope you will continue to contribute as you are able.

All my best,
-Paul

On 11/09/2016 12:09 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

> [...]
> and including Guile 2 will come about in the rest of my tenure.
>
> There are also several half-completed features that are a nuisance.
> I do not expect to be able to to a significant amount of work on them in
> the foreseeable future.
>
> Once consequence, of course, is that my requirement for funding is over.
> I am greatly thankful to the people who have enabled me to keep working
> on LilyPond as long as I did, but what remains in my bank account, in
> spite of being quite less than what I started with when working on
> LilyPond, is sufficient to tide me over the time to my first paycheck.
>
> So I would ask you to cancel any regular bank payments you might still
> have in place as of December: I don't see that I will have a reasonable
> chance at returning a tangible value for them.
>
> Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

SoundsFromSound
David Kastrup wrote
Hi folks and team,

while I haven't really occupied an official function in LilyPond
development, it's hard to deny that I have effectively functioned as
acting chief architect and vetter (with a rather mottled performance).

Partly in connection with a drop of my productivity particularly this
year, the amount of financial support for my work from members of the
LilyPond community went down from overall survivable to disastrous.  Of
course this is bitter for those of you that did contribute in
significant amounts to my subsistence but I have to be moving on.

I have accepted a full-time development (and team management) position
with another company.  Due to their project and team expansion plans,
I will be starting already in December.

Thanks for making me stay in the pond as long as I did!

Congratulations on your new position David, I hope you are very happy in the job! Thank you so much for everything you've done to make LilyPond what it is today.

Sincerely,
Ben
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond