Staff Change Line

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Staff Change Line

Erwinstein
Hello! I'm kinda new to Lilypond but I know it's an incredible tool.
Unfortunately, I am currently facing a problem that I don't know what to do
anymore.

I'm trying to replicate an (actually easy) piece used in our church as a
practice to be more familiarized with common Lilypond things that are
usually done in making a sheet music but I'm stuck to what to do in this
part. I've tried searching previous posts in the nabble forum (which I think
is a mirror of the ones getting sent to the mailing list?) for similar
problems but I can't find one, so I decided to ask about it.

This is the part that I am trying to replicate.

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5816/Annotation_2019-02-25_155321.jpg>

Here it is in Lilypond code without the "staff change line" or whatever that
line was actually called (just the notes):



So now, I'm stuck. I don't really know what to do because the part has
polyphonic voices. Also, the example in Lilypond doc about Staff Change
Lines has the music perfectly fit the time signature. Whereas here, the line
points to the second voice in the measure and (if I do something like what
was on the docs), it will be over the count of beats, which didn't work (I
think) when I tried it. I tried some other things too, but none worked. I
believe this would need some "hacks" or some advanced thing that I don't
know and I haven't seen yet in the documentation.

Thanks for the help!



--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Staff Change Line

Erwinstein
Forgive me for sending multiple messages but the code snippet in my previous
message didn't make it in the email. Sorry, I used the raw tag in the nabble
forum and it was stripped in the email sent to the mailing list. Sorry for
not knowing that will happen.

By the way, here is the code of that measure:

\version "2.18.2"

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff {
    \time 4/4
    \clef "treble"
    \relative c' {
      \key g \major
      << { e2~ e8 d d4 } \\ { <c g>4. c8 c4 <c g>4 } >> |
    }
  }
  \new Staff {
    \time 4/4
    \clef "bass"
    \relative c, {
      \key g \major
      << { r8 e'8 e2 } \\ { g,2. \stemUp <e' d,>4 } >> \stemNeutral |
    }
  }
>>

Thank you, and again, forgive my ignorance regarding my code being stripped
in the email.



--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Staff Change Line

Lukas-Fabian Moser
Am 31.03.19 um 14:43 schrieb Erwinstein:

> Forgive me for sending multiple messages but the code snippet in my previous
> message didn't make it in the email. Sorry, I used the raw tag in the nabble
> forum and it was stripped in the email sent to the mailing list. Sorry for
> not knowing that will happen.
>
> By the way, here is the code of that measure:
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \new PianoStaff <<
>    \new Staff {
>      \time 4/4
>      \clef "treble"
>      \relative c' {
>        \key g \major
>        << { e2~ e8 d d4 } \\ { <c g>4. c8 c4 <c g>4 } >> |
>      }
>    }
>    \new Staff {
>      \time 4/4
>      \clef "bass"
>      \relative c, {
>        \key g \major
>        << { r8 e'8 e2 } \\ { g,2. \stemUp <e' d,>4 } >> \stemNeutral |
>      }
>    }

(There's a >> missing.)

One simple solution would be:

\version "2.18.2"

\new PianoStaff <<
   \new Staff = "upper" {
     \time 4/4
     \clef "treble"
     \relative c' {
       \key g \major
       << { e2~ e8 d d4 } \\ { <c g>4. s8 s4 <c g>4 } >> |
     }
   }
   \new Staff {
     \time 4/4
     \clef "bass"
     \relative c, {
       \key g \major
       << { r8 e'8 e2*1/4\glissando \change Staff = "upper" \voiceTwo
c'8 c4 } \\ { g,2. \oneVoice <e' d,>4 } >> |
     }
   }
 >>

Note that I removed your usage of \stemXXX commands; their use is
generally discouraged since there's more difference between upper and
lower voices in a staff than just the stem direction. It's almost always
better to use \voiceOne, \voiceTwo etc. and \oneVoice (except for
situations where you really want to influene the stem direction _only_).

Best
Lukas


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Staff Change Line

Aaron Hill
On 2019-03-31 6:07 am, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:

> Am 31.03.19 um 14:43 schrieb Erwinstein:
>> Forgive me for sending multiple messages but the code snippet in my
>> previous
>> message didn't make it in the email. Sorry, I used the raw tag in the
>> nabble
>> forum and it was stripped in the email sent to the mailing list. Sorry
>> for
>> not knowing that will happen.
>>
>> By the way, here is the code of that measure:
>>
>> \version "2.18.2"
>>
>> \new PianoStaff <<
>>    \new Staff {
>>      \time 4/4
>>      \clef "treble"
>>      \relative c' {
>>        \key g \major
>>        << { e2~ e8 d d4 } \\ { <c g>4. c8 c4 <c g>4 } >> |
>>      }
>>    }
>>    \new Staff {
>>      \time 4/4
>>      \clef "bass"
>>      \relative c, {
>>        \key g \major
>>        << { r8 e'8 e2 } \\ { g,2. \stemUp <e' d,>4 } >> \stemNeutral |
>>      }
>>    }
>
> (There's a >> missing.)

Well, either you or your email client erroneously stripped the ">>" from
the original email.  It did indeed contain ">>".

Unfortunately, lines beginning with one or more greater-than signs are
used to indicate quoting [1] of previous material.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_quoting

In my mail client, for instance, the email appears to be quoting a quote
of an empty line.  (This is technically what ">>" as a complete line
would mean.)  And if I were to copy-and-paste, I do not get the ">>" as
part of the text.  It is an annoyance that I always have to manually
correct for.

I have found that my mail client does seem to ignore quote characters if
there are any spaces before.  In general, I try to avoid putting ">>" on
its own line but, if unavoidable, I indent it with some extra spaces.


-- Aaron Hill

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Staff Change Line

Lukas-Fabian Moser
Hi Aaron,
>> (There's a >> missing.)
>
> Well, either you or your email client erroneously stripped the ">>"
> from the original email.  It did indeed contain ">>".

You're right - Mozilla Thunderbird was the culprit. @Erwinstein: I'm
sorry, no mistake on your part! (I actually did ponder whether it's
helpful to point out the 'missing' ">>" ... and chose wrongly.)

Lukas

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user