Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Claire Meyer-2
Hi,

Let me preface with the fact that I'm not sure that a system is what I think it is, for me, it's a "line" of all the staves of my score.
I'm using lyluatex to embed my music within a latex file, and on page 3, the inter-system spacing seems off to me. Especially, I feel like I could fit four systems on that page, and I only fit three, while on page 2 lyluatex fits four systems without problem. On one hand, the systems have roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.

image.png

If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)

Claire

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hello.

Le mar. 25 août 2020 à 17:09, Claire Meyer
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Let me preface with the fact that I'm not sure that a system is what I think it is, for me, it's a "line" of all the staves of my score.
> I'm using lyluatex to embed my music within a latex file, and on page 3, the inter-system spacing seems off to me. Especially, I feel like I could fit four systems on that page, and I only fit three, while on page 2 lyluatex fits four systems without problem. On one hand, the systems have roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.
>

> If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)

You could try playing with the "global" size setting:
---CUT---
#(set-global-staff-size 19)
---CUT---

The default is "20" (IIRC); by reducing it slightly (as above),
the layout might become nicer...

HTH,
Gilles

> Claire

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

David Wright
On Tue 25 Aug 2020 at 17:08:12 (+0200), Claire Meyer wrote:

> Let me preface with the fact that I'm not sure that a system is what I
> think it is, for me, it's a "line" of all the staves of my score.
> I'm using lyluatex to embed my music within a latex file, and on page 3,
> the inter-system spacing seems off to me. Especially, I feel like I could
> fit four systems on that page, and I only fit three, while on page 2
> lyluatex fits four systems without problem. On one hand, the systems have
> roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four
> systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the
> contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)

Would adding (or merging)

\paper {
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}

produce a satisfactory layout over four pages for you?

If you squeeze a fourth system onto page 3, you're left with
two systems on page 4. To set the piece over three pages, you'd
need to shrink the score to 11 systems, which is rather a lot.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello Claire,

Can’t help you, since I’ve never been able to use lyluatex.

Do you know of a tutorial about it’s use? I have Mac TexLive and LilyPond 2.20 installed.

Thanks!

JM

> Le 25 août 2020 à 17:37, David Wright <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Tue 25 Aug 2020 at 17:08:12 (+0200), Claire Meyer wrote:
>>
>> Let me preface with the fact that I'm not sure that a system is what I
>> think it is, for me, it's a "line" of all the staves of my score.
>> I'm using lyluatex to embed my music within a latex file, and on page 3,
>> the inter-system spacing seems off to me. Especially, I feel like I could
>> fit four systems on that page, and I only fit three, while on page 2
>> lyluatex fits four systems without problem. On one hand, the systems have
>> roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four
>> systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the
>> contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)
>
> Would adding (or merging)
>
> \paper {
>  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> }
>
> produce a satisfactory layout over four pages for you?
>
> If you squeeze a fourth system onto page 3, you're left with
> two systems on page 4. To set the piece over three pages, you'd
> need to shrink the score to 11 systems, which is rather a lot.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Claire Meyer-2
@Gilles Sadowski :
Thanks, it works! Interestingly, though, I had to iterate down to 16, because 19, 18, 17 and 20 produce bigger outputs than default. They all produce 5 pages. And yet, 20 is the default. If anyone can explain, I'd be more than happy (I imagine it's an interaction with lyluatex).

@Brian Barker :
Thank you for your input, and for confirming what a system is (so I won't be in doubt anymore).

@David Wright :
ragged-last-bottom = ##f only works for the last system of the score, not the last system of the page, so it doesn't do what I was looking for, but thank you very much.

@Jacques Menu :
Sorry, I'm a linux user myself, so I have no idea how to make it work on mac.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:55 PM Jacques Menu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Claire,

Can’t help you, since I’ve never been able to use lyluatex.

Do you know of a tutorial about it’s use? I have Mac TexLive and LilyPond 2.20 installed.

Thanks!

JM

> Le 25 août 2020 à 17:37, David Wright <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Tue 25 Aug 2020 at 17:08:12 (+0200), Claire Meyer wrote:
>>
>> Let me preface with the fact that I'm not sure that a system is what I
>> think it is, for me, it's a "line" of all the staves of my score.
>> I'm using lyluatex to embed my music within a latex file, and on page 3,
>> the inter-system spacing seems off to me. Especially, I feel like I could
>> fit four systems on that page, and I only fit three, while on page 2
>> lyluatex fits four systems without problem. On one hand, the systems have
>> roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four
>> systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the
>> contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)
>
> Would adding (or merging)
>
> \paper {
>  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> }
>
> produce a satisfactory layout over four pages for you?
>
> If you squeeze a fourth system onto page 3, you're left with
> two systems on page 4. To set the piece over three pages, you'd
> need to shrink the score to 11 systems, which is rather a lot.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Jacques Menu Muzhic
@Jacques Menu :
Sorry, I'm a linux user myself, so I have no idea how to make it work on mac.

I use Linux too, and so any hint is welcome!

JM

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Fer Gil
@Claire: You should be able also to select staffsize when including your files in any TEX document:

\lilypondfile[staffsize=14]{YourFile}

@Jacques: Is your system pointing correctly to lilypond? Be sure to point to your executable, mine is:

\usepackage[debug=true, program=/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond]{lyluatex}

Just place it before

\begin{document}...

El mar., 25 ago. 2020 a las 11:47, Jacques Menu (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
@Jacques Menu :
Sorry, I'm a linux user myself, so I have no idea how to make it work on mac.

I use Linux too, and so any hint is welcome!

JM

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Thanks Fernando, I’ll try that.

JM

Le 25 août 2020 à 18:30, Claire Meyer <[hidden email]> a écrit :

@Gilles Sadowski :
Thanks, it works! Interestingly, though, I had to iterate down to 16, because 19, 18, 17 and 20 produce bigger outputs than default. They all produce 5 pages. And yet, 20 is the default. If anyone can explain, I'd be more than happy (I imagine it's an interaction with lyluatex).

@Brian Barker :
Thank you for your input, and for confirming what a system is (so I won't be in doubt anymore).

@David Wright :
ragged-last-bottom = ##f only works for the last system of the score, not the last system of the page, so it doesn't do what I was looking for, but thank you very much.

@Jacques Menu :
Sorry, I'm a linux user myself, so I have no idea how to make it work on mac.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:55 PM Jacques Menu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Claire,

Can’t help you, since I’ve never been able to use lyluatex.

Do you know of a tutorial about it’s use? I have Mac TexLive and LilyPond 2.20 installed.

Thanks!

JM

> Le 25 août 2020 à 17:37, David Wright <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Tue 25 Aug 2020 at 17:08:12 (+0200), Claire Meyer wrote:
>>
>> Let me preface with the fact that I'm not sure that a system is what I
>> think it is, for me, it's a "line" of all the staves of my score.
>> I'm using lyluatex to embed my music within a latex file, and on page 3,
>> the inter-system spacing seems off to me. Especially, I feel like I could
>> fit four systems on that page, and I only fit three, while on page 2
>> lyluatex fits four systems without problem. On one hand, the systems have
>> roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four
>> systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the
>> contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)
>
> Would adding (or merging)
>
> \paper {
>  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> }
>
> produce a satisfactory layout over four pages for you?
>
> If you squeeze a fourth system onto page 3, you're left with
> two systems on page 4. To set the piece over three pages, you'd
> need to shrink the score to 11 systems, which is rather a lot.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Urs Liska-3
Am Dienstag, den 25.08.2020, 18:30 +0200 schrieb Claire Meyer:
@Gilles Sadowski :
Thanks, it works! Interestingly, though, I had to iterate down to 16, because 19, 18, 17 and 20 produce bigger outputs than default. They all produce 5 pages. And yet, 20 is the default. If anyone can explain, I'd be more than happy (I imagine it's an interaction with lyluatex).

20 is the deafault for LilyPond. lyluatex calculates the default staffsize in relation to the effective text fontsize if you don't set it explicitly.

@Brian Barker :
Thank you for your input, and for confirming what a system is (so I won't be in doubt anymore).

What you didn't tell us is whether you include the systems by system or by pages. In the latter case all the page layout  is done by LilyPond  while in the former each system is cropped and included in the document as a paragraph.

@David Wright :
ragged-last-bottom = ##f only works for the last system of the score, not the last system of the page, so it doesn't do what I was looking for, but thank you very much.

@Jacques Menu :
Sorry, I'm a linux user myself, so I have no idea how to make it work on mac.

Not related to OS, but the manual is pretty comprehensive, I'd say: http://mirrors.ctan.org/support/lyluatex/lyluatex.pdf or `texdoc lyluatex` typically in a terminal.

HTH
Urs

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:55 PM Jacques Menu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Claire,

Can’t help you, since I’ve never been able to use lyluatex.

Do you know of a tutorial about it’s use? I have Mac TexLive and LilyPond 2.20 installed.

Thanks!

JM

> Le 25 août 2020 à 17:37, David Wright <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Tue 25 Aug 2020 at 17:08:12 (+0200), Claire Meyer wrote:
>>
>> Let me preface with the fact that I'm not sure that a system is what I
>> think it is, for me, it's a "line" of all the staves of my score.
>> I'm using lyluatex to embed my music within a latex file, and on page 3,
>> the inter-system spacing seems off to me. Especially, I feel like I could
>> fit four systems on that page, and I only fit three, while on page 2
>> lyluatex fits four systems without problem. On one hand, the systems have
>> roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four
>> systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the
>> contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)
>
> Would adding (or merging)
>
> \paper {
>  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> }
>
> produce a satisfactory layout over four pages for you?
>
> If you squeeze a fourth system onto page 3, you're left with
> two systems on page 4. To set the piece over three pages, you'd
> need to shrink the score to 11 systems, which is rather a lot.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello,

I’m using Mac TexLive 2020 with all updates.
TeXShop proposes only Lilypond and Lilypond-LaTeX as reasonable-looking engines.

Lilypond accepts only LilyPond code and works fine, but that’t not what I’m after.

Using Lilypond-LaTeX with this contents:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}

\usepackage{lyluatex}

% -------------------------------------------------------------------------
\begin{document}
% -------------------------------------------------------------------------

\begin{lilypond}
\version "2.20.0"

music = \relative {
c d e

\new ChoirStaff \with {
    instrumentName = "2 Fl."
<<
\new Staff {
\transpose c c' \music
}
\new Staff {
\clef bass
\music

\end{lilypond}

% -------------------------------------------------------------------------
\end{document}
% -------------------------------------------------------------------------

leads to:

cp: No match.
Usage: lilypond-book [OPTION]... FILE

lilypond-book: error: no such option: --psfonts

Something still escapes me...
JM

Le 25 août 2020 à 20:50, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

>> roughly the same height, on the other hand, it might be that the four
>> systems together are just too big of a teeny tiny bit.
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> If someone could confirm that I can do nothing about it, or on the
>> contrary, how to make it fit the four systems, I'd be very grateful :)
>
> Would adding (or merging)
>
> \paper {
>  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> }
>
> produce a satisfactory layout over four pages for you?
>
> If you squeeze a fourth system onto page 3, you're left with
> two systems on page 4. To set the piece over three pages, you'd
> need to shrink the score to 11 systems, which is rather a lot.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Fr. Samuel Springuel
> On 25 Aug, 2020, at 3:20 PM, Jacques Menu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m using Mac TexLive 2020 with all updates.
> TeXShop proposes only Lilypond and Lilypond-LaTeX as reasonable-looking engines.

Neither of these are correct for use with lyluatex.

> \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
>
> \usepackage{lyluatex}
>
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> \begin{document}
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> \begin{lilypond}
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> music = \relative {
> c d e
> }
>
> \score {
> \new ChoirStaff \with {
>     instrumentName = "2 Fl."
> }
> <<
> \new Staff {
> \transpose c c' \music
> }
> \new Staff {
> \clef bass
> \music

> \end{lilypond}
>
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> \end{document}
> % -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> leads to:

For a document like this you need to use a LuaLaTeX engine which has the `--shell-escape` option enabled.  TeXShop does not ship with such an engine (not even in the “Inactive” folder).  You will need to add it yourself.  You can do this yourself, but the Gregorio project makes such engines available along with a script that will install them for you: https://github.com/gregorio-project/gregorio/tree/master/contrib/TeXShop

Download both engine files and the auto-configure.command script to the same folder and then run the script by double clicking on it in the Finder.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

@ Fernando and Urs : Thanks for the additional explanations.

> What you didn't tell us is whether you include the systems by system or by pages.
> In the latter case all the page layout  is done by LilyPond  while in the former
> each system is cropped and included in the document as a paragraph.

I... hadn't even thought that it could impact, that's my bad. I include system by system :
\usepackage[nofragment, insert=systems]{lyluatex}
So the staffsize is computed by lyluatex, right ?

> 20 is the deafault for LilyPond. lyluatex calculates the default staffsize
> in relation to the effective text fontsize if you don't set it explicitly.

So this explains that. The font size of the document at the location of the score is 10 pt. I've tried giving a look at the lyluatex package documentation to see what staffsize 10 pt in latex produces, but it doesn't say (I'm just curious on this one, but I can live without that knowledge).

@Jacques :

> I use Linux too, and so any hint is welcome!

On linux :
1) I make sure I have the texlive-core package along with the texlive-music, texlive-latexextra and texlive-fontsextra packages installed (I'm not sure which ones are strictly necessary, but I have the room for it and the usage is bound to happen eventually, so)
2) I make sure I have the lyluatex-git package installed
3) as Samuel has said before, I also make sure I use LuaLaTex with the shell-escape option. Since I use texstudio, my exact command is lualatex --shell-escape % | txs:///view-pdf-internal --embedded, but lualatex --shell-escape % is enough.
4) I have also to pay attention to the local, so I open texstudio from the terminal with LC_ALL=C texstudio, because my local is a clusterfuck, because I want the dates to be displayed the japanese way, my language to be english, and some regional settings according to my living situation, so if you have weird regional settings on your linux install, pay attention to that as well.

If you have followed steps 1 to 3, you should be able to have a my_tex_document.tex that would look like :
\documentclass[]{article}
\usepackage[nofragment, insert=systems]{lyluatex}

\begin{document}

\lilypondfile[]{your_score.ly}

\end{document}

And compile it using LC_ALL=C lualatex --shell-escape my_tex_document.tex via the terminal (in the correct directory). If that works (with correct namefile and a valid lilypond file), then you're good to go and your install is correct. I may have forgotten something (but obviously, if that's the case, I don't know what).

Am Mittwoch, den 26.08.2020, 10:08 +0200 schrieb Claire Meyer:
@ Fernando and Urs : Thanks for the additional explanations.

> What you didn't tell us is whether you include the systems by system or by pages.
> In the latter case all the page layout  is done by LilyPond  while in the former
> each system is cropped and included in the document as a paragraph.

I... hadn't even thought that it could impact, that's my bad. I include system by system :
\usepackage[nofragment, insert=systems]{lyluatex}
So the staffsize is computed by lyluatex, right ?

No.
The staffsize is *always* calculated by lyluatex if you don't set it explicitly.

The difference is in the page layout.
With insert=systems LilyPond uses
    \include "lilypond-book-preamble.ly"
which produces individual systems without any notion of page layout. The resulting systems are cropped and inserted in the text document one after another - which can in certain situations lead to the systems being cramped too close together (the opposite of your problem).

insert=fullpage OTOH lets LilyPond engrave the full score with all its page layout decisions and includes the pages as fullpage PDFs.

> 20 is the deafault for LilyPond. lyluatex calculates the default staffsize
> in relation to the effective text fontsize if you don't set it explicitly.

So this explains that. The font size of the document at the location of the score is 10 pt. I've tried giving a look at the lyluatex package documentation to see what staffsize 10 pt in latex produces, but it doesn't say (I'm just curious on this one, but I can live without that knowledge).

It doesn't say in the manual. IISC the default staffsize is calculated here: https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/blob/master/lyluatex.lua#L118-L120, and I suspect the actual value has been determined by trial and error to produce a good-looking default.
Git blame points to me for this line, but that wasn't the actual implementation but only some refactoring regarding moving code to external libraries.

HTH
Urs

@Jacques :

> [...]

Download both engine files and the auto-configure.command script to the same folder and then run the script by double clicking on it in the Finder.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

Re: Spacing of systems while using lyluatex

Thank you very much ! It does help :)

On Tue 25 Aug 2020 at 18:30:47 (+0200), Claire Meyer wrote:
> @Gilles Sadowski :
> Thanks, it works! Interestingly, though, I had to iterate down to 16,
> because 19, 18, 17 *and 20* produce bigger outputs than default. They all
> produce 5 pages. And yet, *20 is the default*. If anyone can explain, I'd
> be more than happy (I imagine it's an interaction with lyluatex).

> @David Wright :
> ragged-last-bottom = ##f only works for the last system of the score, not
> the last system of the page, so it doesn't do what I was looking for, but
> thank you very much.

Fair enough: I hadn't realised that you were including the music
system by system in a larger document, and thought that the pagination
was LilyPond's, not LuaLaTeX's.

So if the next section of the document started at the top of the page 5,
how would one tell LuaLaTeX to fill page 4 and produce a balanced appearance?
That would be assuming that one wanted a four-page score, generously
laid out, rather than leaving a half-page blank space; not necessarily
what you're after, I realise.

(I'm not used to this problem: my normal workflow is to generate
cropped PDFs using LP, and then insert these PDFs into the text by
means of \includegraphics commands in plain old LuaLaTeX.)